Thoughts on Serpa holster safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW1

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=63657

Some clubs and police agencies are starting to ban the Blackhawk Serpa holster due to the trigger finger activated retention system.

The issues are primarily with the hip holsters and not with the drop down thigh holsters. There is a video on YouTube of a guy named Tex that shoots himself in the thigh with his 1911. Arguments going on whether it was purely his fault or perhaps it was helped with a holster design issue. He states that it was his fault and not the holster. Others say that if it can happen to him, it will happen to others.

I think I would have more concern about the issue of dirt/small rocks getting stuck under the release mechanism and locking the holster.

I just picked one up for my SIG P228 and am now trying to decide whether I want to put in the effort to learn it or just go back to Safariland.

Any thoughts out there? Anyone using the Serpa?

The department I work for used them for years with no problems. Department policy also has every officer clean and inspect the holster and hardware every time the weapon is cleaned so that helps. Most departments don't have a policy like that and should.
This being said, the Serpa holster with its trigger finger release system is generally accepted (by many high level trainers/experts) to be POTENTIALLY more dangerous than some other types of holsters. It is also very easy to jam up if snow, grit and other contaminates get into the holster. Youtube has a bunch of those videos if you are interested. There have even been cases where the serpa holster had to be cut off the gun it was jammed so badly.
I personally prefer the Safariland ALS holsters with their thumb release system. I have found them to be sturdy, comfortable and very fast with little practice needed. If you want extra security and retention, you can add the ALS Guard and hood guard to any of the ALS holsters.

AMC,WINO,

Thanks. Pretty much sums up my situation. I've been using the Safariland system for a very long time. I was considering the Serpa because quite a few military personnel are switching over and I understand the Marines just ordered a large quantity too. But now that I have one, it began to make me wonder. I did see a couple of those videos and went back and forth between declaring the guy an idiot then wondering if it could happen to me.

Might have to punt on this one.

Last edited:
The military uses the serpa because it is very simple to use and very inexpensive, NOT because it is the best holster.
The most common problem with the serpa (I forgot to mention in my first post) is that the hardware loosens up over time. This especially the case with low ride duty holsters that get knocked around a lot.
Just something to consider. Any holster that uses screws for hardware should be torqued firmly and blue loctited for good measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back