Results of super dooper transmission stop leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from the farm where the soon to be world famous "Luv" machine and I had a super fantastic time hauling super huge amounts of brush and tornado debris to the burn pile.

For those who have not followed the saga, the "Luv" machine is a 1986 Chevy Astro van, 4.3 V-6 with a 700R4 automatic transmission. Vehicle does not see road service but is used as farm mule to haul, push, pull and transport tools and debris around the farm.

Transmission has a severe leak from front main seal behind the torque converter. Current transmission fluid fill is a mixture of USED dexron III/M (I flushed my '93 Taurus and my 95 Olds and am using that as top off fluid). I've also been using some ancient 40 weight that has been in my shed for years, so about every 4th or 5th quart is 40 weight, the other quarts are DexIII/M that I pulled out of the Taurus and Olds.

Bright and early Monday morning, I filled transmission with DexIII/M, (two quarts to fill). Then I added two bottles of "Bar's Leaks" Transmission Stop Leak Concentrate." I used two bottles because one 11 oz bottle treats 10 quarts and my tranny is leaking pretty bad so I decided two would be better.

"Bar's Leaks" Transmission Stop Leak Concentrate" is a clear liquid and while not a heavy fluid, is it not thin either - (in other words, it's not "Sea Foam Trans Tune thin nor is it "Lucas Transmission Fix" thick).

Label on bottle says it works in 200 miles or 3 days of driving.

Monday, I worked the "Luv" Machine heavily all day hauling load after load of brush, (limbs and branches) and even pulling heavy logs with a chain to one corner of propety and piling them there. Machine ran hot and fluid ran in a pretty constant stream from front seal. The only time I stopped working was for Lunch and Supper.

Tuesday morning, I added a quart of DEXIII/M fluid and a quart of 40 weight AND another bottle of "Bar's Leaks" Transmission Stop Leak Concentrate." Worked the "Luv Machine" in the same manner as Monday. Leak slowed to slow drip.

Wednesday morning. Added no fluid but worked all morning till 11:00 am. No leaks, no drips, no drops.

How long this will last I have no idea, but as of today, it is working. In these parts, "Bar's Leaks" Transmission Stop Leak Concentrate" is 4 bucks for an 11 oz bottle.

I also noticed the transmission has not only stopped leaking but is working much better than it has in a long time. Gears grab better, gears engage sooner, transmission pulls better, (very noticable when pulling heavy logs).

I rate this a success.

That's the stuff - on my way to Walmart
smile.gif

Nice. I wonder if it can be used as a preventative measure to ensure that you don't get leaks in the first place? After all it is supposed to restore the worn gaskets and seals.
confused.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JavierG
Nice. I wonder if it can be used as a preventative measure to ensure that you don't get leaks in the first place? After all it is supposed to restore the worn gaskets and seals.
confused.gif

I would be very careful about doing that.

Unless it is a very old beater that you don't care about I wouldn't try it.

If it ain't broke don't "fix" it.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
confused.gif

Agreed - if you're leaving puddles, I would recommend this stuff. It it ain't leaking, I would be afraid it might swell the seals and then when this stuff stopped working, you'd have a real problem on your hands. Like I said, I have no idea how long this will work, but as of today, not a single drop is coming from tranny. I even removed my catch pan, wiped everything down underneath and put a large piece of cardboard under the van. Normally, cardboard would have large transmission fluid stain within minutes. When I left today, (after van had sat for two hours), not a single drop.

Way to go. Definitely sounds like a success!
How many miles do you have that that 700R4? 86' that's gotta be quite a few. Always been amazed at how durable those Turbo transmissions are

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Way to go. Definitely sounds like a success!
How many miles do you have that that 700R4? 86' that's gotta be quite a few. Always been amazed at how durable those Turbo transmissions are

I have no idea how many miles. It was a Bell South Telephone repair van at the beginning of it's life, then some painters bought it for their works and painted it with leftover paint. A couple of my brothers had it before I did, (actually, that's how I got it, the last brother driver abandoned it. I went and got it, pulled it home and kicked it till it ran. That was ten years ago).

Like you, I am very impressed with the abuse this transmission has taken and has kept running all these years. It will be a sad day when it passes to the other side.

As a side note - the "gas tank" on this van is a five gallon bucket that sits behind the drivers seat. After adding the stop leak to the transmission, the gas gauge started working again which is hasn't done in years. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
confused.gif

Agreed - if you're leaving puddles, I would recommend this stuff. It it ain't leaking, I would be afraid it might swell the seals and then when this stuff stopped working, you'd have a real problem on your hands. Like I said, I have no idea how long this will work, but as of today, not a single drop is coming from tranny. I even removed my catch pan, wiped everything down underneath and put a large piece of cardboard under the van. Normally, cardboard would have large transmission fluid stain within minutes. When I left today, (after van had sat for two hours), not a single drop.

But I thought that if it was leaving puddles, then it is already too late and you have to go in and start replacing things, i.e. gaskets?

No, if there are no puddles or drips, your gaskets are working. If there are puddles, gaskets have failed. This super duper stuff in a silver bottle is marketed as a "stop leak" not a "prevent leak." It's the classic "I don't want to fix it properly because (insert reason here) and therefore will gamble "x" number of dollars hoping I won't have to spend BIG dollars having it done correctly.

While I have no idea what's in this bottle, (they still haven't returned my email) I do know it's a seal sweller. What I would be afraid of is that if the seals and gaskets are working, it might over swell them to the point they would leak prematurely.

My daily ride is a 93 Ford Taurus with 155,000 on original tranny. It does have some issues, but it doesn't leak. There is no way I'm going to pour this stuff in my non leaking transmission, (there's enough stuff in there already). But . . . the day it starts leaking, you bet I would happily pour away with confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back