White Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My adventures traveling all areas of NJ continue. Went to Sayreville by accident.. Yup, over the Parkway bridge, by the Amboys and Keasbey (super scenic.) Ok, moving on. Yesterday, I had White Castle in .. I think it was Woodbridge (Rt. 1, by Menlo park mall and Fords Ave.. Might have been Menlo Park) coming back from South Brunswick/Metuchen, when I got that BJ's greeter job this weekend. I got my usual of 7 Jalapeno Cheeseburgers, and a small Coke with no ice for $8.93. They got one out in East Orange as well, also Jersey City, and I think the closest two to me are both located in Newark, I come down Kearny Ave, go over the bridge, and - yeah the one on Broadway approaching Belleville is closest me. The Newark one is close to Elizabeth Ave and Elizabeth and Rt 78.

So, the question for all those who have White Castle restaurants in their area: How do you like 'em?

And, for down southers: How do you like Krystal burger, the Southern White Castle clone?
lol.gif
(I had them some years ago. They were "ok" but I'll take a Slider.)

Once I found out the nutritional content of a slider with cheese, the novelty wore off.

They are ok, but I think my tastes have changed over the past 30 years since I was a teen
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Once I found out the nutritional content of a slider with cheese, the novelty wore off.

They are ok, but I think my tastes have changed over the past 30 years since I was a teen
smile.gif

"Murder Burgers."

I prefer Popeyes more myself. But there is something about the overpriced, ridiculously unhealthy content of White Castle that still appeals to me when I get sick of McDonalds and normal fast food selection and the like.

They are also called "[censored] burgers" by some, fi you know what they make you have to do at some point after you eat them.
smile.gif
(Poop)

These commenters know nothing. At the absolute pinnacle of the hamburger taste continuum sits White Castle. I have visited the Menlo Park store many times over the past 30 years. Fantastic.

Some people just don't know what good really is. I absolutely love Krystal burgers. I will eat Krystal over McD's, BK or Wendy's any day. Same goes for any other burger brand too. I grew up eating Krystals with my mother at an old time Krystal in downtown Macon, Georgia with the white formica countertops and red vinyl stools.

There are no Krystals close to where I live now, but they do have one in Orlando and Altamonte Springs, and there is one way down by Lego Land. Any time I travel in Georgia I will eat at Krystal at least once along the way. I will eat at Krystal any chance I get. The only time I ate WC is the frozen ones from the grocery store. They are OK but I am not a big fan. Krystal burgers are one of the very best things about being from and living in the Southeastern USA.

Prefer Steak and Shake here in the Midwest over White Castle. WC has left the KC metro. As with any fast food place if you find one with a good manager and "caring" supervised employees, support them, as they are rare. In Shawnee, Ks the S&S and even the Long John Silvers are good for what they are. The food at these two is always fresh and hot and not over or undercooked. What more can you ask for for $4 to $8. I don't eat out much these days, so not eating my own cooking or having a cold sandwich is a treat.

When I drive from Michigan to Asheville (North Carolina) I stop in London KY (the last White Castle on the way) and run bootleg sliders into NC. Usually end up with at least 2 crave cases.

Only bad part is the onion and slider smell will soak into every corner of your car.

They are cherished like cigs in prison around there.

If we are talking about fast food burgers, it's hard to beat Hardee's/Carls Jr.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed my fair share of sliders with a box of cheese fries and an Orange soda. But I wouldn't put that in the category of my top 10 burger experiences.

I always thought we should open 50,000 White Castle franchises in China and run China into financial bankruptcy due to the huge run up in medical costs associated with treating 1.6 billion people for coronary artery disease. We could trade them Lipitor for our Treasury Debt.
lol.gif
01.gif
After all who needs nuclear weapons when you have White Castle.

Last edited:
Western Bacon Cheeseburger from Carl's Jr was a favorite of mine back in the mid-80s. Do they still make them?

Originally Posted By: MichiganMadMan
Usually end up with at least 2 crave cases.

Only bad part is the onion and slider smell will soak into every corner of your car.

yeah.. i remember several years back (when there were WC near where i was living) i got a crave case one day, intending to share with the roomie for supper. he wasn't interested, so took 1/2 to work that night for my lunch, left 'em in the car until lunch, i swear it took at least a week driving with the windows down and sunroof open to get that aroma out of the car..

not to mention you didn't want to be standing anywhere within a 10 ft radius of my backside for a few days...
those things taste good, but the farts will kill ya!

Probably could have made that smell better by smoking a cigar in your car
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: MichiganMadMan
Usually end up with at least 2 crave cases.

yeah.. i remember several years back (when there were WC near where i was living) i got a crave case one day, intending to share with the roomie for supper. he wasn't interested, so took 1/2 to work that night for my lunch, left 'em in the car until lunch, i swear it took at least a week driving with the windows down and sunroof open to get that aroma out of the car..

not to mention you didn't want to be standing anywhere within a 10 ft radius of my backside for a few days...
those things taste good, but the farts will kill ya!

I have had Krystal and white castle, think white castle is better. Either way its fast food that tastes alright. Good alternative to mcdonalds etc..

Love my Rat Burgers! Err, White Castle. There's also a White Castle in Clifton which may be a little closer to you.

You also have to try the staple of North Jersey, Rutt's Hut.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutt's_Hut

Make sure you try their homemade relish. It's the best I've ever tasted.

I do miss a lot of the neat places in N. Jersey. Luckilly I still have family and friends there and vsit quite often.

Only use White Castles for medicinal purposes. They go through me like Grant through Richmond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back