GM to reprogram OLM's to reduce wear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tsduke
Going by the updated OLM my wife's 2011 2.4 Equinox will not even get 3000 miles with her winter driving. At least not without a long highway trip. Evidently her 7-8 mile commute on cold days drops the OLM really fast. I'm curious how OLM drop rate changes with the warmer weather finally setting in.

ysduke,

They did it to my borthers Caddy CTS but so far I didn't get any notice for my 08' Impapa SS. Is the update for the V-6's only?

Durango

Our Nox is a 4 cyl. GM has updated the OLM and 4's and V6 engines over the last couple years.

Your 08 Impala is not Direct Injected is it?

Originally Posted By: tsduke
Our Nox is a 4 cyl. GM has updated the OLM and 4's and V6 engines over the last couple years.

Your 08 Impala is not Direct Injected is it?

tsduke,

No I believe my injection is "port" and not "direct". Does that matter?

Durango

So what that means is that M1,M1EP PU,PP are not protecting these GM motors well. I thought these high quality oils will prevent that

Originally Posted By: Ram01
So what that means is that M1,M1EP PU,PP are not protecting these GM motors well. I thought these high quality oils will prevent that

It doesn't mean that at all. Almost all these vehicles are filled with conventional oil. Maybe 1-3% have synthetics as listed. There are also some things that can't be prevented by oil of any type.

High octane gasoline doesn't make a horse any faster.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Can someone explain how a shorter OCI will solve the problem?

It will get the oil with the fuel dilution and contaminants out sooner. It will not address the cause of the problem if that's what you're asking.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
This is a specific issue with the DI motors, we all know about them. It would seem that timing chains may not be the best thing since sliced bread for all those belt haters!

So does my Ford 300 use the perfect solution?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Haha! Yeah,and also the *more frequent oil changes causes more engine wear* crowd :p

Of course, there are exceptions in certain cases. Excessive fuel dilution, for instance, does not make the oil better in the long run.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Where are all the posters that thought I was nuts 8-9 years ago, for saying contrary of OLM readings? Where are these same posters claiming GM knew how to maintain oil changes better than the Average Joe (me)?

True, but a manual can be as wrong as an OLM. My old Audi called for 12,500 km severe service intervals on conventional. Okay....

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Plucking an argument that's been gelling for a while, from a number of threads, and bearing in mind the fact that accelerated age testing is NOT how engines are operated, and not representative, pushing the "development" aspects onto the end consumer.

These oil life monitors can't be calibrated against real world operation from their initial development, as 100,000 mile Granny drove it to church every sunday two blocks down isn't doable in testing.

I surmise that the hot and heavy end, high speed touring, loaded cross country etc. is very easy to calibrate for, as it's a test that can be carried out in a realistic time frame, in a reasonable number of runs.

Should be easy to calibrate a taxi, on engine hot time etc.

If the issue is chain wear, and chain wear isn't really due to hydrodynamics, but additives and contaminants, then it's probably the Granny drivers over long periods that need recalibrating.

...based on what's happening with real engines, aged in real world situations, in real time...with the buying public doing the testing.

TRue!

Originally Posted By: Ram01

They still protect, just not as well.

The bottom line here through all of this thread is to go with your gut based on your own needs...

And why people worry about maybe a hundred bucks a year in oil for something that will keep your car running longer anyways, I'm not even sure...

I my case, my cars will rot out well before they stop running, so I can worry less about hitting 200-300k...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

The bottom line here through all of this thread is to go with your gut based on your own needs...

And why people worry about maybe a hundred bucks a year in oil for something that will keep your car running longer anyways, I'm not even sure...

I my case, my cars will rot out well before they stop running, so I can worry less about hitting 200-300k...

Well said. Saving $10 per month in maintenance costs on a $30,000 vehicle doesn't add up in the long run.

I think people are upset because DI offers a false economy. Lets be realistic the reason car manufacturers have gone to direct injection is to meet EPA MPG requirements. If you have to cut back your OCI (in half) because of carbon deposit problems you've wiped out your fuel savings. Im not picking on GM at least there addressing the problem. The people to blame are the public who demand continually higher MPG in their vehicles when the technology is not there.

Originally Posted By: R2d2
I think people are upset because DI offers a false economy. Lets be realistic the reason car manufacturers have gone to direct injection is to meet EPA MPG requirements. If you have to cut back your OCI (in half) because of carbon deposit problems you've wiped out your fuel savings. Im not picking on GM at least there addressing the problem. The people to blame are the public who demand continually higher MPG in their vehicles when the technology is not there.

In various order to your erroneous assertions.

D.I. was originally being looked at to prevent the squish, quench and crevice volumes from containing fuel, and therefore contributing to hydrocarbon and CO emissions, and by default unburned fuel.

An homogenous fuel charge, on the compression stroke pushes fuel into all of the spaces in which burning can't take place, and they are expanded back into the exhaust gasses late in the power stroke, where they pollute, and don't make power...

DI was to ensure that only air was ever in those crevice volumes, and did not trap unburnable fuel in those volumes...the engine developments of the 70s, 80s and 90s in the lab couldn't fuel dilute the oil, as it never got there.

DI also allowed a stratified charge, where an easily ignitable charge around the plug could ignite a weak charge away from the plug (and no fuel further away),allowing better control of ignition delay, and still pure air in the crevice volumes.

If fuel is getting into the oil, then the designer of the engine has made a serious mess-up, as fuel was never supposed to be any where near the perimeter of the piston, and should never have made it past the rings to the sump.

Technology was there, and someone is cheaping out on the application, and leaving it to the consumer to fault find.

Public have been gypped...1948 Holden got 30MPG (Oz), carried 5, and could do the speed limit, Current Commondore can carry 5, do 30MPG, and legally do the speed limit.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

In various order to your erroneous assertions.

D.I. was originally being looked at to prevent the squish, quench and crevice volumes from containing fuel, and therefore contributing to hydrocarbon and CO emissions, and by default unburned fuel.

An homogenous fuel charge, on the compression stroke pushes fuel into all of the spaces in which burning can't take place, and they are expanded back into the exhaust gasses late in the power stroke, where they pollute, and don't make power...

DI was to ensure that only air was ever in those crevice volumes, and did not trap unburnable fuel in those volumes...the engine developments of the 70s, 80s and 90s in the lab couldn't fuel dilute the oil, as it never got there.

DI also allowed a stratified charge, where an easily ignitable charge around the plug could ignite a weak charge away from the plug (and no fuel further away),allowing better control of ignition delay, and still pure air in the crevice volumes.

If fuel is getting into the oil, then the designer of the engine has made a serious mess-up, as fuel was never supposed to be any where near the perimeter of the piston, and should never have made it past the rings to the sump.

Technology was there, and someone is cheaping out on the application, and leaving it to the consumer to fault find.

Public have been gypped...1948 Holden got 30MPG (Oz), carried 5, and could do the speed limit, Current Commondore can carry 5, do 30MPG, and legally do the speed limit.

I don't deny any of the things your stating. However in my opinion (never claimed fact), direct injection has been dusted off in the US to meet EPA requirements and NO other reason.

However in my opinion (never claimed fact), direct injection has been dusted off in the US to meet EPA requirements and NO other reason.

I agree with both of you. There are a few cogent reasons to go with DI. An automaker could choose it for fuel economy, emissions, or even performance advantages. Simply put, though, in North America, we're stuck with automakers trying to find incremental gains in fuel economy and emissions savings, and having the average North American deathly afraid of diesels and the ridiculous political taint that is placed on hybrids.

And Shannow is dead right about fuel economy trends over the last several decades. Part of the problem, and that's another issue, is that there are so many vehicles that are grossly overweight. Additionally, we as consumers want power.

My G, a relatively small car, is only about 1000 pounds lighter than my F-150 Lightning was. Of course, it gets better fuel economy than the Lightning did, and has better performance. To put matters in more perspective, my G is only 200 to 300 pounds lighter than was my 1990 Town Car, which got comparable fuel economy. A two door sport coupe that weighs only 200 to 300 pounds less than North America's last land yacht? Yeesh.

So, tell me again, why did the 5.0 L Ford and the Panther platform disappear? So we could have much smaller vehicles that were just as heavy, had smaller engines with more power, and burned just as much fuel, on premium to boot?

But, as for direct injection, I think it's like a lot of technologies. All the bugs need to be worked out. I have faith they will be, but that doesn't mean I want to be a guinea pig, either.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
However in my opinion (never claimed fact), direct injection has been dusted off in the US to meet EPA requirements and NO other reason.

I agree with both of you. There are a few cogent reasons to go with DI. An automaker could choose it for fuel economy, emissions, or even performance advantages. Simply put, though, in North America, we're stuck with automakers trying to find incremental gains in fuel economy and emissions savings, and having the average North American deathly afraid of diesels and the ridiculous political taint that is placed on hybrids.

And Shannow is dead right about fuel economy trends over the last several decades. Part of the problem, and that's another issue, is that there are so many vehicles that are grossly overweight. Additionally, we as consumers want power.

My G, a relatively small car, is only about 1000 pounds lighter than my F-150 Lightning was. Of course, it gets better fuel economy than the Lightning did, and has better performance. To put matters in more perspective, my G is only 200 to 300 pounds lighter than was my 1990 Town Car, which got comparable fuel economy. A two door sport coupe that weighs only 200 to 300 pounds less than North America's last land yacht? Yeesh.

So, tell me again, why did the 5.0 L Ford and the Panther platform disappear? So we could have much smaller vehicles that were just as heavy, had smaller engines with more power, and burned just as much fuel, on premium to boot?

But, as for direct injection, I think it's like a lot of technologies. All the bugs need to be worked out. I have faith they will be, but that doesn't mean I want to be a guinea pig, either.
wink.gif

I agree that the benefits of DI accrue in multiple ways simultaneously. DI allows for higher compression which gives higher thermodynamic efficiency, helping horsepower and fuel economy simultaneously. Take a look at the 2012+ Focus compared to the old Contour which occupied a similar place in Ford's lineup. The current Focus has the horsepower of a Contour V6 (after the 2007 SAE power revisions), and gets better fuel economy than the old Contour 4cyl. The Focus has 12:1 compression and runs happily on 87 Octane regular. Curiously the Focus weighs about the same as the old Contour.

The common wisdom is that modern cars are heavier than their forebears, and that this can be attributed to crash safety requirements, this is not the case, cars today are generally bigger than their nameplate forebears. The additional deadening materials and luxury options we all desire also contribute to the problem.

Your G is heavy because it's a luxury car, not because it's new. It's slathered with copious amounts of heavy sound deadening material. That of course is a consequence of market forces, everybody want's a car that cruises at 75 mph at an interior noise level of 65 db, but the physics of sound propagation guarantee that's hard to achieve in a lightweight car. It's been this way for a long time. Compare the weight of a luxury car to the equivalent "regular" car from an interior size perspective, they're always a couple hundred pounds heavier at least. The spiritual predecessor to your G was no lightweight either, a 1992 300ZX Turbo weighed ~3,400lb. Bob Lutz was asked why GM's cars were always heavier than their competitors, consumer preference for quieter cars was his answer. I suspect the reason your G doesn't get any better MPG than your Town Car in the real world is that you actually use the substantially better performance available in the G.
wink.gif

My favorite old vs. new example is Honda products. Compare the interior volume of the 1992 Accord to the 2012 Civic, you'll find they're nearly identical in size. Curiously they're also identical in weight. In other words the Civic is no heavier than older cars of the same size, despite being much safer. The cars also have similar power, and yet the 2012 Civic gets markedly better fuel economy. Of course the 2012 Civic was panned for being noisy, and for 2013 they added sound deadening and weight. Now if you were to compare the 2012 Accord to the 1992 Accord you might think cars have gained lots of weight, but the 2012 Accord is HUGE compared to it's forebear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back