Amsoil Las Vegas Tax Cab Field Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
The info on the engine oil is a bit spars but the info on the trans fluid is much more interesting. They tested the used oil and ran it through several tests (including frictional retention) that we normally don't see. The ATF seems to be a very fine product by what this report shows.

The issue is they didnt use a "control" group and do a tear down of another engine trans to compare.

Al should AZSS kick who ever set up the test.

Surprizing since years back they did similiar tests and showed both.

Of course the Chrysler 2.7 is a sludge engine according to the experts here at Bitog and the 42RLE is a POS trans to according the experts here at Bitog so maybe the Amsoil does work
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DragRace
Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Amsoil is too inconvenient to buy. Sorry guys.

The thing that gets me personally is,I love Amsoil,BUT the [censored] shipping charges are what keeps me from purchasing it all the time.
whistle.gif

Not a very good excuse, to be honest with you.

I live 5 minutes from an Amsoil dealer. Every 1-2 months he drives down to the Amsoil distribution center in Orlando, FL, which is 2.5 hours away. He loads up his trailer and comes back.

Before heading down there, he shoots emails to all his local PCs (Preferred Customers) and asks if you need anything as he's going down to Amsoil in a few days. I place my order, he delivers to my door for $3. I've also picked up directly from his house dozens of times and didn't pay a dime for shipping!

I suggest you find a "good" Amsoil dealer near you who's willing to give you a good deal and not kill it with excessive shipping charges.

Having said that, I was a huge Amsoil fan and used it exclusively for years in all my vehicles... that is until I purchased over 400-500 quarts from Kmart's clearance sales and various FAR deals and now have so much CHEAP Synthetic oil for $1.50 a quart that buying anything else just seems silly to me so I'm only using Amsoil exclusively in my 2007 Honda Civic EX as I have years of UOAs testing invested and want to see how it does as the engine nears 200k miles.

I agree that this test could have been a bit more technical for us BITOGers.

You can't argue with the condition of the engine and transmission in this example. However, I agree that the test should have been done with another oil to compare, and that all the engine components should have been shown.

I'll be interested in seeing Pablo's comments when the info gets back from Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Originally Posted By: skellyman
I'm just waiting for some one to say PYB would do this too.

PYB would do this, too.

There. I said it.

Really? That's not what Mobil's testing showed. They even showed you the entire engine with a 3rd party inspector.

Looks like Mobil used the same engine as Amsoil, the Chrysler 2.7.

Quote:
To put Mobil 1 Extended Performance to the test, we selected two taxi companies- Lucky and Yellow Cab- and ran Mobil 1 Extended Performance against conventional motor oil in their cabs. Why? Because taxis experience extremely harsh service conditions: a lot of stop and go driving, excessive idling and long hours of operation (often 23x7).

Engine Comparison
After 105,000 miles of severe taxi service with oil change intervals every 15,000 miles, the Chrysler 2.7 V-6 engine (left) that used Mobil 1 Extended Performance motor oil showed only light oil film and very light varnish compared to the Chrysler 2.7 v-6 engine that ran on a leading conventional oil (right) and developed heavy sludge and varnish deposits .

The 2.7L is apparently a problematic engine that is prone to sludge. That's maybe why Amsoil and Mobil chose this engine.

Without a test like Consumer Reports where they tore down 20 or so engines you will never know how PYB did, never know with these careful to show how great we are tests.
Originally Posted By: buster

PYB would do this, too.

There. I said it.

Disagree.

^True, but Mobil showed engines run on conventional out to 15,000 miles and it lead to significant sludge & deposits.

I thought this hit the nail on the head:

Quote:
You never get completely clean, "pretty" engines with 15,000 mile service intervals under these conditions. But Amsoil and Mobil are showing what's possible with the current base oil and additive technology

The engine results section seems weak. The cam bearings and lobes look to have signs of scoring to me. Just one vehicle analyzed, no complete tear-down, visual (subjective) analysis instead of measurements. Could have done UOA and pulled all value covers and oil pans. Apparently a low budget study.

Originally Posted By: mr_diy
The engine results section seems weak. The cam bearings and lobes look to have signs of scoring to me. Just one vehicle analyzed, no complete tear-down, visual (subjective) analysis instead of measurements. Could have done UOA and pulled all value covers and oil pans. Apparently a low budget study.

To be fair, not everybody has the budget of ExxonMobil. They likely budget more for advertising in a quarter than many of the small blenders gross annually.

The Amsoil SS ATF is impressive. Great ATF.

Thanks buster. Thanks guys.

By the way the entire taxi cab fleet was changed over to AMSOIL when they saw the "unscientific" results.

PYB would do this, too.

There. I said it.

Disagree.

Stay calm. I was just trying to keep Skellyman's wait to a minimum.

I disagree. "Inconvenient" is trying to find Pennzoil Ultra at Wal-mart in the 0w-20 viscosity. Inconvenient is trying to find PU when it's allegedly on sale for less than $27. "Inconvenient" is finding it at AutoZone for a mere $9.59 per quart.

"Convenient" is having my Amsoil order shipped to me the same day I order it online and have it arrive the next day. And "convenient" is paying (with shipping) less than you're paying for Royal Purple.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racin4ds

^^^^ Exactly!

I *might* try it if I could walk into Advance, Autozone or WalMart and buy it for the same or right around the same price point as M1 or PU. Until then, it will never sell as well or be as accepted IMO.

Amsoil- Take note from Royal Purple, they are putting their stuff on shelves everywhere now! and even offering sales and rebates.

Yep. Probably because no one is buying it. At the very few stores I've seen RP, the quart bottles are thick with dust. I'd have looked to see if they were API SE or SF, but I didn't want to get my hands dirty.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
You beat me to it! Whether its QS testing in NYC, or anyone else in LV, they all choose fleets that run (near) 24/7/356. No thermal cycling, no cold starts, very little fuel dilution.

Absolutely. My taxi fleet got QS conventional 10w-30 for 6,000 mile OCIs in the late 1970s to early 1990s. No fuel dilution, no cold starts, and oil always at temperature makes for an easy ride.

Of course, I wouldn't have wanted to take the QS out to the intervals that these guys tried. Nonetheless, taxis aren't the severe service people think they are. They're a great testing resource, though, considering the number of vehicles available and the mileage they rack up and the semi-consistent conditions.

There are variations in how different cabbies treat (and mistreat) their vehicles. But, it's not as diverse as comparing a cabbie to the old lady who drives a half mile to church once a week, and nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back