Checked weights on some FL-1A series filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this on the tail of the other "filter weight" thread but it was already played out so I wanted to post this again to make sure anyone interested would catch it.

Okay, anyway I had seven different new filters on hand for my Jeep that were all FL-1A/PH8A equivalents. I weighed them out of curiosity.

Lightest to heaviest:

Fram PH8A OCOD - 12.24 oz
Fram Tough Guard TG8A - 12.56 oz
Puro P1 PL30001 - 14.53 oz
Motorcraft FL-1A - 15.18 oz
Napa Gold/Wix 1515 - 15.43 oz
Fram Extended (Ultra predecessor) 17.21 oz
Baldwin B2 - 17.55 oz

Doesn't really prove anything but it is interesting, apparently the fiber vs metal endcaps is worth an ounce or two difference. I always thought the Baldwin felt like it was built like a tank as well and it turned out to be the heaviest of the lot, although the Extended Guard gave it a good run for it's money. The Extended Guard I weighed was an older 7k model, the newer Ultra may weigh even more as it has more features than the old one.

After seeing a video of a Mahle cut open by the factory reps, I'm going to GUESS that it would probably weigh just as much or more than all of them on your list. Their video bragged about how thick the metal in the can is and how much media they put in each filter.

Could be if they use heavy cans. From what I noticed weighing these, media made little difference (see OCOD vs TG), but metal endcaps caused a jump, as did thread end bypasses and can construction (Wix, Baldwin).

Either the can on the Extended Guard/Ultra is a good bit thicker or the synthetic media/screen composition weighs a good bit more as it was one of the heaviest I had on hand.

The Ultra XG8A that came off of my XJ last week was like a brick. Had to weigh at least 3 lbs used and full of oil and [censored].

Originally Posted By: salv
The Ultra XG8A that came off of my XJ last week was like a brick. Had to weigh at least 3 lbs used and full of oil and [censored].

XJ? Would that be a JAG?
After the BMW and Mercedes, the JAG is one of my favorite cars. I like the later models with the (4) round headlights.
thumbsup2.gif

96 Cherokee, 2 door, 4.0L, AX15, NV231. Current fill, Delo 400LE 15w40, FL-1A, Pennzoil Synchromesh in the AX15.
No fruity britmobiles for me.

Originally Posted By: salv
96 Cherokee, 2 door, 4.0L, AX15, NV231. Current fill, Delo 400LE 15w40, FL-1A, Pennzoil Synchromesh in the AX15.
No fruity britmobiles for me.

Hey now. JAG is now made by FORD. Besides, does the JEEP have a pet hood ornament on it?
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back