1985 Corvette Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,
I got a buddy who bought a 1985 Corvette with the port tuned injection. I was just wondering what oils you guys would use with it. gearbox oil too!
Just random facts: 4 speed manual, and it has the removable tops in dark blue paint. pretty sharp

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How about VR1? Does the tranny spec atf or GL4 gear oil?

VR1? Any off the shelf 5W30 or 10W30 would outperform the recommended oil spec from 1985.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

VR1? Any off the shelf 5W30 or 10W30 would outperform the recommended oil spec from 1985.

Unless it's spec needs a high zinc oil,which an'85 Chevrolet I'm not sure if they were roller yet.

'85 Corvette's were still flat tappet.
Valvoline VR1 10w30 conventional would be a fine choice.
Or VR1 synthetic 5w30 if you want to splurge.
I ran Castrol GTX in mine until the zddp content was decreased in the SM/SN formulations. Never had any problems with cam and lifter wear.

German Castrol would work fine, too.

As for gearbox oil, don't worry about it. Those transmissions are junk. I recommend you dump the s-box 4-speed and put in a late-model 6-speed. I converted mine to a Richmond 6-speed and literally took my old DNE 4+3 to a scrapyard and threw it on a junkpile. I never liked the feel of the shifter, and the overdrive unit was just clunky.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251

Unless it's spec needs a high zinc oil,which an'85 Chevrolet I'm not sure if they were roller yet.

I wish the high zddp fable would be put to rest when it pertains to stock engines. There are great salesmen out there, I am happy that I am not one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back