Unable to Roadforce analyize?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took 2 tires into the local shop with the Hunter GSP9700 to have them test the roadforce vibration and balance, and after the first one they came back out and told me that they could correct the balance by moving weights but were unable to assess the roadforce because of the condition of the tire.

The tires do have some choppy wear on the inside shoulder, and I have recently replaced some suspension parts to hopefully correct the problems, but I would have thought that the machine would have at least given some type of reading. Does anyone know if it's possible that the machine is unable to give data for the vibration anaylsis? His thought was that there was an internal problem in the tire that precluded the machine from making an assessment. Does this sound legit? The tires do make a speed-dependant whump, whump, whump sound from about 45-75 mph, and that's the reason I wanted them assessed and balanced to see it the noise and shimmy could be reduced.

sounds like you need some new tires.

its probably legit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

its probably legit.

x2. I've dealt with this problem before too and the only solution was to replace the worn tires. If they have uneven wear or even worse, choppy, wave like wear, they are a goner and need to be replaced. (I sold mine on Craigslist for $150 for a set of 4 tires with pretty serious cupping going on)

The tires are probably past saving. Also no matter what suspension parts you throw on there, the cupping will not go away on the tires that were on the vehicle. The damage has been done to the tires and any repair will only show on new tires.

Yes, I know that I'll need new tires in the not so distant future, but my question was regarding the Hunter balancer not being able to give a reading on the Roadforce measurement.

I'd think that it would be set up to at least give some kind of numerical assessment of the Roadforce/vibration analysis, and that when the guy came back and said that it was unable to read the tire was he being honest or did they just pretend to check out my tire and decided it wasn't worth the effort when they saw the uneven wear? I'd think that if the machine was programmed to say "unable to quantify Roadforce measurement" or something to that effect, it would be pretty useless. I didn't see anything on the Hunter website about this, so maybe CapriRacer will chime in or someone who knows the machinery well.

A couple of thoughts:

Like Cardinal, I wonder if they got a huge number. This might totally freak some people out.

Second is that the wheel has to be done - and they may have had trouble doing the wheel, so they couldn't sort out what was what.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
A couple of thoughts:

Like Cardinal, I wonder if they got a huge number. This might totally freak some people out.

Second is that the wheel has to be done - and they may have had trouble doing the wheel, so they couldn't sort out what was what.

When you say the wheel has to be done, do you mean remove the tire and just run the wheel on the machine? Can the force drum be used then?

Originally Posted By: Rand

its probably legit.

+1. Roadforce as Ive seen is a premium price option at most tire shops that carry it...

If they could upsell, they would, unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
When you say the wheel has to be done, do you mean remove the tire and just run the wheel on the machine? Can the force drum be used then?

I was referring to the methodology to measure the wheel while the tire is still on it. It involves some arms that are placed against the wheel, while it is rotating. (Triggered by a special function)

Those arms can do the wheel by itself. No drum involved.

I could see this as being legit. if there is cupping or flatspotting and it causes the machine to oscillate at a rate that is more rapid than each rotation of the wheel, it won't know if the "shake" is from a balance condition or uneven rubber. I could absolutely see it throwing an error.

BUT, this doesn't mean you couldn't go old school and put a static balance on it. May not be perfect, but it'd roll...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I'm guessing whatever number they got was too high to work with so they just bailed.

+1 I have had that happen and they will simply tell you that you need a new tire(s). That Hunter machine will tell you if the wheel or tire is off in most any dimension. They are great for match (indexing) mounting tires. Do you remember what number value you got?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I took 2 tires into the local shop with the Hunter GSP9700 to have them test the roadforce vibration and balance, and after the first one they came back out and told me that they could correct the balance by moving weights but were unable to assess the roadforce because of the condition of the tire.

The tires do have some choppy wear on the inside shoulder, and I have recently replaced some suspension parts to hopefully correct the problems, but I would have thought that the machine would have at least given some type of reading. Does anyone know if it's possible that the machine is unable to give data for the vibration anaylsis? His thought was that there was an internal problem in the tire that precluded the machine from making an assessment. Does this sound legit? The tires do make a speed-dependant whump, whump, whump sound from about 45-75 mph, and that's the reason I wanted them assessed and balanced to see it the noise and shimmy could be reduced.

I just did a quick look at the specs for the Hunter GSP9700 - and it appears there is an upper limit. I take that to mean that it is possib;le to have a tire so bad that the machine would not give you a reading.

Thanks, Barry. I couldn't find that info on Hunter's website so I wasn't sure if there was a maximum or not. I'll stick to my plan of running them out for the summer on the rear to reduce the annoyance, and then buy new winter tires come October.

I have not seen our road force balance not give a number. I have seen some light truck and medium truck tires be over a 100 road force this is usually due to a badly bent wheel, tires not seeted up properly, or a poorly built retread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back