2013 Chevy Equinox 3.6L V6. Penn Plat. 5W-30 4.7K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres the 1st UOA on our 2013 Equinox with the 3.6L V6.
My 1st venture into a synthetic oil. Ive always run Valvoline 5W-30 dino oil in my 2010 Traverse with the 3.6.

But due to Dexos--- I decided to use PP. Its cheaper to get PP on sale- than to buy Pennzoil Semi Syn in the quart bottles.

Im curious to see how accurate the OLM is on this engine. My goal is to use oil to the point that its not being drained too early.

1st oil change on this vehicle was at 1,510 miles.

Refilled with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30.
For this UOA- engine had 6,178 miles. The oil had 4,607 miles. OLM was at 28% life.

Based on that.. I was getting about 63.9 miles per 1% OLM drop.
It appears that next time I should be able to go 6,398 miles as per the OLM hitting 0%
Im thinking of draining the next oil at 5500? 6000? and getting another UOA.

This 2013 takes 6 quarts with filter.
I drained out about 5.9 quarts.

Filled the 5 qt bottle.
then trasnferred 1 qt to the other jug- then refilled.
You can see where I marked the bottle at the quart lines.

NoxUOA_1_zpsa2f4845e.jpg

DSC07770-1_zps501bfe13.jpg

Last edited:
As bad as it sounds, I doubt Maxlife 5w30 wouldnt have done the same/better for that interval. If you like Valvoline products, I highly recommend you give the new formulation Maxlife a shot.

GM's shed more metal than a lot of engines, especially when new. The UOA's on here show that. They also show your using the best oil for that engine. Its a brand new engine, will get much better in the next 1-2 OCI's. Then you can go longer.

The elevated wear metals are from your engine still breaking in. It might take up to 10,000 miles for this to occur.

Suggest you stay with Pennzoil Platinum at 5K intervals largely due to the prolonged idling and stop & go driving in congested California.

nvm, didnt see the mileage, my bad. Looks good. Maxlife can be had with a $10 rebate as well, usually in the Nextgen flavor. Although, Nextgen version isnt Resource Conserving and doesnt meet/exceed Dexos ( unless it got recently reformulated ).

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
The elevated wear metals are from your engine still breaking in. It might take up to 10,000 miles for this to occur.

Suggest you stay with Pennzoil Platinum at 5K intervals largely due to the prolonged idling and stop & go driving in congested California.

that is correct.
On my 2010 Traverse- With my UOA- wear in tapered off around 15,000 miles.

For reference...
TraverseUOA_40K.jpg

Last edited:
Stick with the Pennzoil Platinum. It is hard to beat for the money. We got rid of our 2011 Equinox with the 3.0 direct injection due to crazy fuel dilution. Maybe that is why they went to the better 3.6?

Essentially, nothing alarming here, nothing unexpected, and nothing useful.

Run a few more OCIs, then do another UOA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rbarrios

that is correct.

For reference...

TraverseUOA_40K.jpg

This looks like you used Valvoline? Instead of PP

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: rbarrios

that is correct.

For reference...

TraverseUOA_40K.jpg

This looks like you used Valvoline? Instead of PP

Yes- my Traverse uses nothing buy Valvoline Conventional 5W-30... as shown on the top of the UOA.

This UOA is the best 3.6 I have seen. Stayed in grade. Flash piont is still nice. Maybe they have fixed some things.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
This UOA is the best 3.6 I have seen. Stayed in grade. Flash piont is still nice. Maybe they have fixed some things.

maybe its the oil resisting dilution.........

Originally Posted By: bourne
Originally Posted By: badtlc

maybe its the oil resisting dilution.........

I had the same question. Is it this sick new SN formulation of PP or tweaks to the engine?

Well we know they reprogrammed their OLM for more conservative operation.

They could have tweaked the tune on the engine as well.

ok, guys--
Question.

Yesterday- My Equinox hit 27% oil life left. The Penn Platinum now has about 5,350 miles on it.

Based on its 1st UOA (which was its 2nd oil change)- and had 28% OLM when I changed the oil--

Do you guys think I should change this oil at 25, 15,. 10... 0%

Based on the 1st UOA- I had thought- id go to 0%. But that was based on the average of about 63 miles per 1% OLM.

This time im at about 73 miles per 1%.... Which translates to roughly 1,971 more miles...
or 1,971+5,350= 7,321 when it reaches 0%
Based on their recommendation of 6,000 miles-- I would be roughly in the 20% life left.

Curious what you guys suggest I do....
I will get it tested- as im curious to see how the oil does- and plan on using the OLM for the rest of the vehicles life.

Ive attached the UOA-- so you dont have to go back to the 1st page...

NoxUOA_1_zpsa2f4845e.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back