Looking for straight 75W MTF options in USA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: tudorart
Fuchs already recommended 70W80 GL5 for your application. Indeed initially was the FE 75W ...factory fill still is. You have to account for the low VI when you match other fluids to it just like Fuchs did when they recommended their 75W80 Gl-5 which is thinner below 10C where shifting issues may appear. Disregard the GL-5... this comes from the same company that makes zinc free motor oil for more than a decade so don't worry about sinchro corrosion.

Red Line MTL would be too thick for this applications. Same goes fot the MTG.
The cheapest alternative is Honda MTF provided it's got the right GL package. It's rather close to a low GL-4 or ...like Red Line D4.

75W already is almoust the most wide spread viscosity for new MTFs...according to some smart engineers @ some virtual SAE conference. Some 75W80's are also labeled SAE 75W and also some 70W-75 are labeled the same mostly because J306 does not accommodate SAE 75 just yet.

Redline MTL (70W-80) looks to be close to the same as Fuchs 75W-80 fluid. If Redline MTL is too thick than so is Fuchs 75W-80:

http://syntheticoil-europe.eu/manual-tra...5w-80-gl-5.html

I know what you mean. Punching in the values on widman's graph the Fuchs 75W80 catches up with the 75W around 10C (which is actually just in time) but the MTL will be thicker everywhere above freezing point (0C).
MTL is on the thick side here. It's good VI can't make up for that.

Quote:
however I always thought GL-3 was enough package for a Honda MT and don't see any reason for Honda to upgrade to GL-4.

In view of the fact that HP ratings are going up, I think GL-4 is very much the correct protection rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back