Can-Am Outlander ATV Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2012 Can-Am ATV and i'm in search of a Quality oil to use in it with out having to use "Motor Cycle Only" motor oil. The engine is a 850 cc, liquid cooled v-twin, 4 valves per cylinder,belt drive (no clutch or tranny parts in engine) and i believe redline is around 6,000 rpm.
the manufacturer recommends if their oil is not available a 4-stroke SAE 5W30 engine oil that meets SM, SL, or SJ API service classification. it also gives the following viscosity chart. i typically ride in temps above 32f to 100+.
SAE- 0W30, -22 to 86f
5W30, -22 to 104f
10W30, -4 to 104f
10W40, -4 to 122f
15W40, 14 to 122f
20W50, 32 to 122f

thanks for your help in giving me some idea's and feed back.

i would go with honda GN4 10w40 or one of the 10w40 motorcycle oils at walmart. my walmart has M1 and Valvoline. also meijer generally stocks a lot of motorcycle oil for cheap. if it specs SM im assuming and good car oil would work as well. rotella t6 maybe?

Rotella T6, 5W-40 would probably be an utterly fantastic oil for your application, but any motorcycle 10W-40 would be a very close second.

I'm going the other way here.. Your chart includes 0w30, and you aren't dealing with any wet clutch (even though it's fine for that also). I'd grab a bottle or two of German Castrol 0w30, and ride worry free.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Rotella 15w40.

Being that you're doing off the road riding, you're prob going to change oil more often than if it were a motorcycle, and synthetic is not necessary. For that reason, I'd also recommend the above dino oil, either by Rotella or Delo in 15-40.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
I'm going the other way here.. Your chart includes 0w30, and you aren't dealing with any wet clutch (even though it's fine for that also). I'd grab a bottle or two of German Castrol 0w30, and ride worry free.

I second the Castrol GC recommendation. Excellent oil that I've run with success in quads.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Rotella 15w40.

Being that you're doing off the road riding, you're prob going to change oil more often than if it were a motorcycle, and synthetic is not necessary. For that reason, I'd also recommend the above dino oil, either by Rotella or Delo in 15-40.

i will be changing the oil and filter at least once per year, whether it needs it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back