Infamous 2005 Nissan Pathfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, I'm lucky enough to own a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE...the single year between 2000-2009 with the worst maintenence record.

LINK: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Pathfinder/ (one of MANY sources)

Apparently the top issues are:
#1 - Radiator cracks and leaks into tranny (class action lawsuit pending)
#2 - Fuel sending unit croaks
#3 - Cats go at 100K

So far I've survived #1, but #2 burned me at 80K (Nissan did a good faith repair before it was eventually recalled). #3 is knocking on my door. I get a P0430 code and simply reset it and drive on. I also had to rebuild the driveshaft at 72K.

Anyone else out there own one of these maintenance hogs? Oh, I've also had to replace the entire throttle body and the Engine Control Module (ECM) was replaced under recall.

I would put a new radiator in it, why take a chance. I would use and o2 sim or spark plug extender if my cat went bad. My wife has something worse a 2008 BMW X3 what a hunk of junk

Last edited:
Should also have the bad timing chain guides. I had a 2005 Xterra. Should be the same list of problems, except the X also had a suspension squeak TSB as well.

Ours had the timing chain whistle, radiator nearly out of warranty and the squeaking suspension when we traded it. Decided to get something new rather than pay for a new timing chain, radiator, or whatever suspension part needed replacement. I also wasn't sure if my wife ever had that fuel sending unit done. '05 was by the far the worst year to buy something with the 4.0 VQ. Some of the problems did persist to 08 or 09 though, at least for Xterra and Frontier owners.

If you go on the "thenewx" forum, you can see quite a bit of feedback on those issues from the Xterra POV. For the radiator, you can bypass the problematic part and basically keep the trans fluid out of there. When it fails, it won't kill your trans. Some guys installed separate transmission coolers and others didn't and saw no issues with temps.

Last edited:
Cats have a really long warranty, 120k miles I'd like to say.

Next time that code comes back haul it in and get it fixed for free.
laugh.gif

My fiancee's father has a 2005 Pathfinder and it's been extremely reliable. He doesn't maintain it well, either. His has a check engine light on for bad cats and the fuel level sensor, but he just ignores it and keeps driving it. It has over 165k miles and the only things he's ever done are new u-joints recently, one set of brakes, and some tires.

My sister and BIL had one of those close to that year, but I can't remember exactly the exact year. Theirs had some of the problems you listed and also some alternator failures. I remember him complaining about the dealer tech changing an alternator in 45 minutes when it booked out and they got charged for several hours. He was always a guy who said the import brands were much better than the American brands, but that one almost changed his mind. They now drive Toyotas.

Originally Posted By: raaizin
I would put a new radiator in it, why take a chance. I would use and o2 sim or spark plug extender if my cat went bad. My wife has something worse a 2008 BMW X3 what a hunk of junk

x2, once they mix its usually to late for your tranny.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Cats have a really long warranty, 120k miles I'd like to say.

Next time that code comes back haul it in and get it fixed for free.
laugh.gif

Sadly it's 80K
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06
My fiancee's father has a 2005 Pathfinder and it's been extremely reliable. He doesn't maintain it well, either. His has a check engine light on for bad cats and the fuel level sensor, but he just ignores it and keeps driving it. It has over 165k miles and the only things he's ever done are new u-joints recently, one set of brakes, and some tires.

Any car could be called "reliable" when treated like that. It's quite surprising how many things can fail or be on the verge of failure before the car cannot be driven anymore, provided the owner doesn't mind driving a car that feels like junk.

I would bypass the trans cooler in the radiator and use an aux cooler only.

Aren't cat's and other emissions equipment warrantied for 100K?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Any car could be called "reliable" when treated like that. It's quite surprising how many things can fail or be on the verge of failure before the car cannot be driven anymore, provided the owner doesn't mind driving a car that feels like junk.

Yes, but those are the only things that HAVE failed. For a vehicle with 165k, that's not bad at all, especially considering much more could have failed due to poor maintenance, but DIDN'T. And the car does not feel like junk. Runs and drives like a new car (just ignore the check engine light.)

My brother 2001 is wonderful. They gave up on dealer maintenance at 100k miles. Basically switched over to oil changes and whatever it needed to stay safe on road. I think the only issue they hit that caused a breakdown from 100k-220k was failed spark plugs/coil packs. Some suspension issues but this vehicle albeit rusty has over 220k miles and runs beyond well. Everything works as it is a loaded to the hilt Limited edition.

Sometimes no maintenance works for folks.

Talked to a service tech at my dealership and he ran the VIN...said my radiator should be fine as the "issue" is in regards to the 1st batch of Pathfinders that came off the line in 2004. He said he owns the same one I do and has 147K on it with no issue.

He also said in many of the cases regarding the tranny/radiator, it was due to minor accidents that went unaddressed and that old tranny fluid was causing the radiator to fail. Interesting take on the last part. He said if you change your tranny fluid every 30K-40K I should never have an issue.

He also said, "STAY OFF THE INTERNET!" LOL

Originally Posted By: alaskanseminole

I think the dealers and service techs are afraid of the internet. I had a coworker who was shopping for a GM car for his daughter that a local GM dealer was trying to sell. The car that she was really in love with had the 3.1 V6 engine in it that has a reputation for intake manifold gasket problems. Because of what I told him, he mentioned it to the service tech and the service tech told him that he had never heard of that problem before. (And we wonder why they have a reputation for lying...) A week after he purchased this car, the leaks were obvious and the dealer was putting in new gaskets. At least they did it under warranty.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: alaskanseminole

I think the dealers and service techs are afraid of the internet. I had a coworker who was shopping for a GM car for his daughter that a local GM dealer was trying to sell. The car that she was really in love with had the 3.1 V6 engine in it that has a reputation for intake manifold gasket problems. Because of what I told him, he mentioned it to the service tech and the service tech told him that he had never heard of that problem before. (And we wonder why they have a reputation for lying...) A week after he purchased this car, the leaks were obvious and the dealer was putting in new gaskets. At least they did it under warranty.

at least he acknowleged the problem...just said my VIN wasn't affected. (I wrote his name down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back