Oil Requirments for > 140cc Briggs & Stratton® OHV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi people, bought a reconditioned/new mower with a 140cc Briggs & Stratton® OHV.
No paper work came with it...could you suggest a 'good' conventional oil for this engine used in hot humid climates?
Thanks

Just use whatever brand name straight 30 wt you can get your hands on. Pennzoil will do well.

Nothing special about lawnmower oil.

Any quality 5W-30, 10W-30, or straight 30-weight will do. Personally I run 0W-30 Amsoil in my Honda mower and vehicles.

I use straight 30 wt Rotella. great oil. It is basically and SJ with higher levels of anti-wear adds than an SN oil.

from diesel SAE 30 (Rotella T1 comes in my mind) to 15W40 Isosyn, they will be fine.

I typically treat OHV engines of other brands more or less the same way as Honda engines, by using something within a "range".

10W30 is fine also.

Q.

With air cooled mower-tractor engines, oil additives that interfere with cat converters/emissions are not an issue, so an oil that is formulated to concentrate on anti-wear and other desirable properties is preferred. That is what the oils do that are formulated specifically for such engines, e.g. Kohler oil. But, those oils are relatively expensive.

So, after browsing numerous small engine forums, one will often find recommendations for Rotella in 30 & 10W30 grades, depending on temps.

i have a lawn boy that i bought in 1994 and it still going. change the oile every season with 10/30 synthetic. that and fuel stabilizer i feel is what has kept it running so long.

for aire cooled engines, a synthetic is the way to go in my opinion

Thanks for the suggestions > I'm new to this 'quiet' OHV engine thus wasn't sure what oil was preferred.

I take care of my engines but sure hope this Chinese Briggs lasts a few years.

My 28 year-old Briggs/mower is a flathead and still strong...but doesn't 'mulch' > it's on retirement/standby =)

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
With air cooled mower-tractor engines, oil additives that interfere with cat converters/emissions are not an issue, so an oil that is formulated to concentrate on anti-wear and other desirable properties is preferred. That is what the oils do that are formulated specifically for such engines, e.g. Kohler oil. But, those oils are relatively expensive.

So, after browsing numerous small engine forums, one will often find recommendations for Rotella in 30 & 10W30 grades, depending on temps.

Heck, I got me some Valvoline VR1-Racing 20/50 that's just full of zinc > (I know it's too thick)
grin.gif
lol

And 15/40 diesel oil too!

FWIW, I have used 15W-40 in my B&S 500cc Intek in my Craftsman riding mower for the entire 5 years I've owned it. I bought is at the Sears outlet in Delaware as returned/reconditioned, so I have no way of knowing what was run in it before. Starts easy, good on gas, plenty of power, not a hiccup. Of course, I don't run it after September, so cold weather starting is immaterial to me. The plug is always tan, the engine runs and doesn't bog on heavy grass or when pulling the lawn sweeper. My$.02.

Question...why a straight weight non-detergent vs detergent?
I would think a detergent oil will keep the little engine cleaner inside, no?

Originally Posted By: HammerDown

I don't think anyone suggested non-detergent. Straight detergent 30w is what everyone is talking about.

Interesting that if a different set of people had answered, they would have said that 30w is obsolete. Just saying, consider the source and make your own decision based on what you believe.

I think the OPE air cooled is different and I use HDEO rated oils. But, I wonder if the improvements in SN make it more closer to SJ in wear protection.....anyone??

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I don't think anyone suggested non-detergent. Straight detergent 30w is what everyone is talking about.

Interesting that if a different set of people had answered, they would have said that 30w is obsolete. Just saying, consider the source and make your own decision based on what you believe.

I think the OPE air cooled is different and I use HDEO rated oils. But, I wonder if the improvements in SN make it more closer to SJ in wear protection.....anyone??

Thanks for the reply...I always thought straight 30-HD was a non detergent???
Suppose I better read the label better
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Thanks for the reply...I always thought straight 30-HD was a non detergent???
Suppose I better read the label better
whistle.gif

Nope, non detergent oils will state on them that they are non detergent. I use either Rotella T6 5W-40 or flavor of the month Synthetic 5W-30. This year it's PP 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back