oem honda filters any good?

I've used many P1's/Classic and others with flat gasket design on Honda Civic and Accord, and never had a gasket leak issue. Never heard of a gasket coming loose and "getting pulled into the engine". Not even sure how that could happen?

But, some do prefer the Honda P type gasket design.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Never heard of a gasket coming loose and "getting pulled into the engine". Not even sure how that could happen?

Yep ... seems impossible since the gasket is always being "pushed outward" from the oil pressure. If it's going to blow-out, it's going to blow outward, not inward.

Originally Posted By: RegDunlop
When Honda changed their OEM filter to the 2nd version (made by honeywell/Fram ) they changed the shape of the rubber gasket to a "P"shaped gasket as the first version had a few problems with the gasket coming loose, and sometimes getting pulled into the oil going into the engine.

Hasd anybody else ever heard this?

I'll see if I can find a link to the story I read on that.

What! This is the first time I heard of this, where can I get more information? If you are referring to the A01 filter made by Filtec please let me know I have a couple on order.

Both A01's and A02's have the "P" shaped gasket.

I've been using Honda filters since 1988 and have never had an issue with one. (and yes I've cut a good many of them open.)

I'm with Hounds, I just don't think it matters much if you pick a quality name brand filter.

But you can get A01's from:

http://www.handa-accessories.com

If you want the "better" OEM filter.

Also, an A02 is not exactly a tough guard. The efficiency ratings are quite different.

http://www.amsoil.com/graphs/eao/EAO_efficiency_900.jpg

Vs.

http://fram.com/products/oil_filters/fram_tough_guard_oil_filter

Holy thread revival batman! Yes, since this thread was started Amsoil ISO tested several OEM filters including the A-02 so it's now known that the A-02 while appearing similar to the TG, doesn't come close to matching TG's rated efficency. The A-02 is the most common Honda OEM sold by dealers

As for the A-01 from H&A frequently mentioned as a better alternative. A six pack of the A-01's cost ~$29, add ~$17 for shipping to me (east coast) is ~$46, or $7.65 each. Add that to unknown efficiency and river_rat's conclusion that no endcap type filters like the A-01 tend to be relatively inefficient, and they aren't worth the price for me. But, that's just me.

I found this story about a Fram seal going thru the engine:

I had a very bad experience with the Fram filter and with Fram. Five years ago my 328 suffered a cam lock-up and blown engine. The culprit was eventually confirmed to be a failed Fram filter. The central perforated cylinder collapsed and that let loose the internal O-ring at its end. The O-ring then went up the oil galleys and plugged the galley leading to the cam on one bank. The cam shaft froze and you know it is an interference engine. Eight valves and all pistons in one bank destroyed. We eventually found the rubber O-ring stuck in the galley after disassembling the engine completely.

Fram refused any responsibility saying the filter had been "over-pressured". They then changed their manufacturing to use glue to seal the inner column instead of the O-ring. I should have got a lawyer, but didn't need that hassle either.

I use UFIs exclusively. One needs to be careful to seal them properly to avoid an initial leak, and it works great. I have a re-built engine to show for it.

Does anybody have a cross refrence for the Honda15400-PLM-A01PE to a Wix or Napa filter? For my 2016 Honda BFD75D outbord. Dealer closed & closest is 135km away

Does anybody have a cross refrence for the Honda15400-PLM-A01PE to a Wix or Napa filter? For my 2016 Honda BFD75D outbord. Dealer closed & closest is 135km away

Wow... new post would have been better...

PE is just the power equipment version of the A01 ...

Look up a filter for a recent Honda car other than S2000 or cross if from a PH7317,

Back