Remanufactured Alternators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rjundi
If this is for the car in your name. My Subie Indy with 30 years Subaru experience chose Bosch on our recent replacement in our 05 LGT. He said there were cheaper and also more expensive alternatives but felt most comfortable in his experience with Bosch.

Good to hear. The Bosch Premium Reman looks like a decent alternator. Even comes with 2 years of emergency roadside assistance if the alternator dies.
http://www.boschautoparts.com/alternatorsstarters/pages/ppremanalternators.aspx#features

Subaru also has their own line of reman alternators. They include more new parts in their rebuilds than the aftermarket, from what I can see.

Was your Bosch remanufactured from the OE Mitsubishi Electric core, or from a Bosch core?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Instead of having them rebuilt here Napa sends them to China to be rebuilt! Fortunately for me I have 3 rebuilding shops within 20 minutes of me.

Yeah, me too. However, those shops now use the very same Chinese parts that fail so often. Some of the Chinese brushes are known for lasting a stunning 8 hours!

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Instead of having them rebuilt here Napa sends them to China to be rebuilt! Fortunately for me I have 3 rebuilding shops within 20 minutes of me.

Yeah, me too. However, those shops now use the very same Chinese parts that fail so often. Some of the Chinese brushes are known for lasting a stunning 8 hours!

Can't you request higher grade parts if they are doing a custom job?

I thought about DIY rebuilding of my current alternator in my Subaru, until I saw the prices for components. $232 for a new voltage regulator! $131 for a new rectifier! Crazy.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Can't you request higher grade parts if they are doing a custom job?

I tried, without success.

I did have good results purchasing heavy duty, 10% silver, alternator brushes from Aviall, an aviation parts company.

I would prefer to either get an alternator from the dealer, or from the same company (Bosch, Denso, Delphi) that built it in the first place

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I thought about DIY rebuilding of my current alternator in my Subaru, until I saw the prices for components. $232 for a new voltage regulator! $131 for a new rectifier! Crazy.

I think my mechanic who has a large uplift on parts charged $350 for a Bosch rebuilt for 05 LGT. His labor though is inexpensive (1hr @ $60/hr).

Maybe I have just been lucky but I am currently running two 'lifetime' rebuilds from AAP and one 'new' Remy from AAP with service on them from one to three years and so far all have been trouble free.

I put a 10$ Chinese regulator/brush pack and new bearings into a 200K mile Bosch alternator and drove to 350k miles. Very little trouble with the Bosch alternator. The alternator in the '94 Ranger is working, should it quit, I will attempt to fix, because I like doing that sort of thing and the Rat is a 3rd vehicle.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: SubLGT

I think my mechanic who has a large uplift on parts charged $350 for a Bosch rebuilt for 05 LGT. His labor though is inexpensive (1hr @ $60/hr).

That's a lot for a reman. A new Subaru OE alternator can be had for $444. I've seen the Bosch online for $200 - $250.

$444 for an alt!! Wow.

If you include shop upcharge on parts though, I'd bet that new Subie alt would be well over $525 out the door, before labor.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Bosch has a great rep,but you pay.

No one has a Bosch in stock for my 2005 Legacy GT, even though there is a Bosch part number for it, and Subaru does not have a reman for my vehicle either. So I started looking at the Beck/Arnley. O'reilly Auto wants $288 for it, but Rock auto is only asking $153. I did not realize that the price difference could be so high.

Last edited:
I had an ACDelco reman that had a reused brush holder and rectifier along with a Chinese-made voltage regulator, resleeved slip rings and cheap bearings. I installed a Denso reman - which is rebuilt by Denso themselves. It was literally a new alternator with a used pulley.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Magmaniac.com. Obtained an OEM "rebuilt" from them, it looks like "OEM" means an extra 20 amps or so. Credit for the core and retrun shipping box.

magmaniac.com resolves to a magazine subscription site.
Did you mean http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/real.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach
I had an ACDelco reman that had a reused brush holder and rectifier along with a Chinese-made voltage regulator, resleeved slip rings and cheap bearings. I installed a Denso reman - which is rebuilt by Denso themselves. It was literally a new alternator with a used pulley.

Remanufactured and Rebuilt often have different definitions.

Remanufactured is what you described for the Denso alternator.

Rebuilt is what you described for the Delco alternator (really meaning meaning repaired and tested).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back