Q8 T1000D 10W30 @ 118H - Valmet 365, SISU 320D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

This is my first UOA on my 1997 Valmet 365 farm tractor with SISU 320D 3 cyl engine, bought at 2600 H.

The engine has now 2820 H, and the oil had 118 H and 2 years when changed.

This tractor always run idle or under light load (except 20 Hours by year), whith a lot of start/stop

Oil is an european Q8 1000D 10w30 STOU

Initial TBN is 10 (factory data, no VOA for it)

Oil: 118H/2 years

130406075137951714.png

There is some little diesel in oil, but should be normal as running often idle.

I have no universal values, but the lead seems high for 118H, and the TBN fell down from 10 to 2.3.

For me, it indicates a acid corrosion. Do you agree ?

Despite the low number of hours, this oil cannot be kept more than one year. Low quality TBN additives or fuel dilution problem ?

Do you think I could keep a better oil 2 years in the sump ? Or should I definitivly change any oil every year despite the low hours ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: miniac007
Hi all,

This tractor always run idle or under light load (except 20 Hours by year), whith a lot of start/stop

There is some little diesel in oil, but should be normal as running often idle.

I have no universal values, but the lead seems high for 118H, and the TBN fell down from 10 to 2.3.

For me, it indicates a acid corrosion. Do you agree ?

Despite the low number of hours, this oil cannot be kept more than one year. Low quality TBN additives or fuel dilution problem ?

Do you think I could keep a better oil 2 years in the sump ? Or should I definitivly change any oil every year despite the low hours ?

Likely a combination of an average additive package being depleted by all the start and stop conditions. Buildup of acid is expected.

Recommend annual LOF changes to extend the life of your equipment.

I would agree that it probably makes sense to just do annual oil changes. I don't think any other oil you find will handle these conditions any better.

However, 8 ppm of lead isn't so bad.

By the way, what does the owner's manual recommend as far as oil change frequency?

Also, it's interesting that this oil is being listed as having viscosity index of 32. When I calculated it, I got 149. How did they get 32??

Yes, VI is 149: www.q8oils.co.nz/Images/Data/Automotive/Q8%2520T1000%252010W-30.pdf

The OCI is 250 hours or 1 year.

My problem is I have a lot of vehicles which are running a very little amount of hours by year, but with an OCI of 1 year, so I need 100 liters of oil by year for a very little use... So if I could keep the oil 2 years, would be great...

But this test on the tractor is not very conclusive...

Last edited:
Here is an UOA of another Valmet, not the same, but just to notice the lead is under mine with 400 Hours instead of 118 and a more difficult work than mine.

stacks_image_9847.png

Originally Posted By: miniac007
Here is an UOA of another Valmet, not the same, but just to notice the lead is under mine with 400 Hours instead of 118 and a more difficult work than mine.

Right, but his time in service was shorter (1 year or less). Also, I noticed that he's using a 40-grade oil. I wonder if slightly thicker oil helps keep bearing wear down and results in lower Pb in this particular application? By comparison, your oil was almost down to a 20-grade by the time you took that sample.

Does your tractor sit unused for extended periods of time (like during winter)? Sometimes non-usage periods are worse than usage - that's when corrosion may be accelerated.

Personally, I would not worry about 8 ppm of lead on a tractor. Even on a car engine I would not worry. The lab I use does not flag Pb as "abnormal" until it exceeds 50 ppm, although I think I'd be a bit worried if I was close to 50 ppm. Also, see what our own BITOG page considers "acceptable levels":
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/what-is-oil-analysis/

However, the exact definition of what is "abnormal" is rather subjective.

If it's going to save you a lot of money, extending it to 2 years may be fine. I think Amsoil motorcycle oil claims to have extra rust inhibitors that may be able handle longer intervals better (including storage periods), but most likely it will not be cost effective for you.

Yes, mine is exactly the same as on the pic !

Nice and well built tractor, the only problem is parts only available at Valtra with the Valtra price... More expensive than a MF with standard perkins
smile.gif

I use it during winter to remove snow, so it often starts at -20°C/-4°F so a 15w40 is impossible. A 10w is a minimum and the minimum grade I can find here in STOU oil.

But I could use maybe a 10w40 ?

A 5w30 or 5w40 would be the better choice, but, it will be a synthetic base, at 6€/l instead 3.8€/l for only 50h/year...

I use it 20 hours in summer to cut grass at +30C/86°F, and the rest of the time only for manutention.

You are right, lead is not an unacceptable value, I would use the word "uncorrelated" with other values. I would have expected something like 4 +/- 2 ppm. So not a wear value, but corrosion value. But maybe I am wrong and paranoid
smile.gif

Last edited:
A large drop in TBN with little hours even over 2yrs is poor performance.
With Delvac 1 SHC over 2 yrs with 500 hrs I dropped from 14 to 12!
I may go 3 yrs this time.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back