Engine flush in gas tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small (350ml.) bottle of cheap Tech 2000 Engine (oil) flush that I don't really need to use. What would happen if I stuck it in the cars gas tank? Would it do damage, or would it just act a injector cleaner? The reason I ask is that I have read that a lot of engine oil flushes are just kerosene or other fuels, so I was wondering if it would just burn through in the tank......

Why?

If there is any doubt about what it will do to the engine, don't do it.

If you don't want to add it to the crankcase, and you need to get rid of it, just open the can and pour it out with the old waste oil.

As an update (months later) I did add it to full tank of gas, and....

....it did nothing.

.... it did nothing ..... until your "check engine light" comes on -- telling you that your oxygen sensor(s) are toast .... hopefully not!

Would be an expensive lesson.

The Tech2000 engine flush smells exactly like kerosene (first hand experience
grin.gif
) , so then I suppose that's mostly what it's made of. Probably didn't do anything to your engine, just don't do it again.

Isn't it true that the pipelines transport gasoline as well as diesel? If so, I'm sure at any given time, the gas you buy has a small %age of diesel in it. I don't think 350 mL of kerosene in a couple gallons gasoline would be an issue (as he reported anyway).

Just don't make a habit out of it though.

If what I was taught was correct, there is no mixing when different products are shipped through the same pipeline. There is a ball inserted in the pipeline at product change. It is also called a "pig". It is a perfect fit to the walls of the pipeline to effectively seal off the different products.

I agree though that a little diesel or kerosene should have little effect on a tank of gas. Still, I would not have mixed it, not know just what it was.

It's not something I plan on doing again. I had a very old car, that I didn't do regular maintenance on (pre-BITOG). I was going to do some work on it, and planned to flush the engine as part of the 'revitalizing' project. I was getting married in the near future, and a family member bought my new wife and I a newer car (2002 Chev. Cavalier) as a large wedding present, so the old car was given to my FIL.

He doesn't believe in these adds, so I just hung onto it, and couldn't be bothered returning it to Wal-Mart, old and dinged-up. I also didn't want to use it such a new car, (and I don't do my own oil changes) so I was just looking for an easy way to get rid of it - figured it couldn't hurt in a full tank of gas. But just proper fuel adds from now on in the car...if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back