Status
Not open for further replies.
Napa Synthetic 5W30 SN
Time On Oil- 3 months and 8,000 Miles
Time On Unit- 95114 Miles
Filter- Purolator P1: PL24651
Capacity- 6qts and 10 ounces Full.
Gas- Mid-Grade
Make Up Oil: 1.25 Qts Exactly. No usage from 5,000 to 8000 mile mark.

Metals (ppm):
Iron (Fe): 7
Chromium: Lead: Copper: 14 ( Down From 24 Last Report on Napa Syn. 10W30 at 6,000 Miles)
Tin: Aluminum: 6
Nickel: Silver: Titanium: Vanadium:
Contaminates:
Silicon: 12 (Same Level As Prior UOA)
Potassium: Water(%): Coolant: No

Additives:
Sodium: 370
Magnesium: 16
Calcium: 1793
Barium: 1
Phosphorus: 696
Zinc: 754
Molybdenum: 5
Boron:
Physical Tests:
Viscosity (cSt 100C): 9.8

Physical/Chemical:
Total Base Number (TBN): 3.0

Napa Filters Oil Analysis Report Diagnosis:
All wear levels appear within acceptable limits for first sample using this grade of Napa Synthetic. Silicon level satisfactory. Water content acceptable. Viscosity within specified range.

Overview:

Looking back at this run of 8,000 miles, I know that I was under little more extreme circumstances. More colder weather than I'm used to in Toledo Area, not Artic Weather by any means but many days of 17 to 28 degrees out. Had a few really cold days on my travels to Northern Michigan ( 0 to 10F). Was stuck once. Many times idling or turning car off and on( keeping warm) , while my Wife was shopping, so this oil has a lot of idle time compared to last report. Had one longer trip of 600 miles(RT). Drive 57 miles round trip to work 5 to 6 days a week. Take my wife to work 5 days a week consisting of 24 miles round trip. 1 daily short trip to town and back consisting of 1 mile to 5 miles. This is pretty much normal except for getting stuck and revving the heck out of engine to get unstuck and the colder weather was little more abnormal. I had 1 Techron gas treatment and 1 Shell Gas Treatment. No other additives used in gas or oil. Also clean throttle body out during this oil run. That's about it folks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
WOW!! I would say you have the prrof right there to "go further" as it says in your sig. 10k is gonna be A-OK.

They only differnce is i'm running the 10W30 right now and not the 5W30. The 10W30 was a TBN of 2.9 at 6,000 miles. It can do 8000 easily.

Ahh the beauty of Ashland oils, the addpack appears weak on VOA/UOA yet wear looks impressive. Consumption isnt excessive by any means either. Looks like you found a good match for your engine.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Ahh the beauty of Ashland oils, the addpack appears weak on VOA/UOA yet wear looks impressive. Consumption isnt excessive by any means either. Looks like you found a good match for your engine.

Like I said in previous post, I have the 10W30 in it, and from prior UOA which was good using the 10W30, I don't know if I go 10,000 with it because TBN was 2.9 at 6,000 miles. But as soon as I fill back up with the 5W30, I will be going 10,000 miles and testing and if that looks good, than I'm going even further.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bourne

+1

I was expecting more with what appears to be highway driving and 1.25 quarts of makeup oil. Oil doesn't appear all that stout but your driving conditions make it easy on any oil. You can definitely go longer.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I was expecting more with what appears to be highway driving and 1.25 quarts of makeup oil. Oil doesn't appear all that stout but your driving conditions make it easy on any oil. You can definitely go longer.

Stout oil or not, I seen much worse with so called premium synthetics almost in same driving condition, do much worse and to my surprise, rarely better. More of some additive or less of another, rarely plays in the final outcome of a UOA. You only need what you need for your car and your driving conditions. More detergents in an oil, won't make a clean engine cleaner. More Moly, Zinc, Phosphorus won't make a car wear better if your car doesn't even utilize the extra additives. I never been into VOA readings, because as DNEWTON3 Said," It's the final score that matters".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Wow! Looking good....

Surprisingly GOOD! - will do 10K interval miles hands down!

Thanks, i'm shooting for 10,000 miles for sure. Hopefully the trend of not using anymore oil after 5,000 miles will hold, if it doesn't that is fine, it just helps keep my TBN up. If I get to a 2 TBN at 10,000 in order for me to go more miles, A very intelligent man told me on this site, that I will need to get a TAN done, if I want to push it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back