Using impact gun to remove Ford 5.4 3v Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever "designed" that spark plug deserves all the forehead impact that one can provide.

So that's how you get them out without breaking - now lets see someone do it and break them. I want to see how the hand method breaks them.

Must do it reasonably well enough that there's a tool set to get the stupid things out !

This pick...there is a lot of bearing area to get jammed with carbon etc, particularly when backing it out, versus cross sectional area to resist both the torque and tension of backing it out.

13193d1265558084t-broke-3-valve-plug-my-truck-work-today-img_1481.jpg

I saw this posted on another forum a while back. I need to do mine soon and I just might give this method a try. Worst case scenario is that they break anyway and you still have to use the extractor kit to get them out.

I've done several of these 3V Fords and have only ever broken 1 plug! The trick is pre-soaking with PB Blaster or KROIL, overnight and making sure the engine is warm when you pull the plugs. For extra safety I also perform a thorough SEAFOAM top end cleaning via vacumn hose just before I remove the plugs.

I've NEVER used an impact gun to remove these plugs or any other for that matter, thats just asking to break something or strip threads.

I did mine at 55k and it was not as bad as it could have been. I cracked the plugs loose when the engine was hot and sprayed seafoam deep creap in the plug holes. This was about noon, well by 8 I had had a couple beers, and I decided I was going to try and see if I could get one out. NO NO NO broke the first one I tried. Had to order the Lysle Tool and it works like a champ. Anyway to make a long story short. I woke up the next morning went out the the shop and took the rest of the seven out with out incident. I feel strongly if I would have let them soak all night I wouldn't have broken any.

Last edited:
I've heard of it, wouldn't try it. Our techs use Mazda Zoom cleaner, it was originally designed to clean out the rotor housings on RX-8s. We are convinced it shouldn't be legal in CA because it works so well.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I've done several of these 3V Fords and have only ever broken 1 plug! The trick is pre-soaking with PB Blaster or KROIL, overnight and making sure the engine is warm when you pull the plugs.

+1 on the PB blaster. except I soak them a week in advance. Never fails on any frozen parts. Then a dab of never seize on the new ones done!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
I've done several of these 3V Fords and have only ever broken 1 plug! The trick is pre-soaking with PB Blaster or KROIL, overnight and making sure the engine is warm when you pull the plugs.

+1 on the PB blaster. except I soak them a week in advance. Never fails on any frozen parts. Then a dab of never seize on the new ones done!

Sure is! Miner were done at 6xk and no need for listle tool. Makes me wonder if the ones that were breaking (some had 4,6, even 8 break) were due to the animal behing the wrench or the carbon build up freezing them in there.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Sure is! Miner were done at 6xk and no need for listle tool. Makes me wonder if the ones that were breaking (some had 4,6, even 8 break) were due to the animal behing the wrench or the carbon build up freezing them in there.

We have had techs follow the TSB to the tee and be extra careful and still have plugs break.

I would like to think that the knocking action of an impact wrench might be better than the slow grabbing action of a hand ratchet in breaking free a stubborn fastener. Anyone care to explain this hypothesis?

Over at the garagejournal forum, I was surprised that a number of professional mechanics admitted to using a 3/8 impact gun to remove plugs on all vehicles, vs. hand wrenching.

Finally, if a plug is tightened enough to be gas tight, I don't understand how PB Blaster could penetrate into the threads.
21.gif

I've done several of these 3V Fords and have only ever broken 1 plug! The trick is pre-soaking with PB Blaster or KROIL, overnight and making sure the engine is warm when you pull the plugs. For extra safety I also perform a thorough SEAFOAM top end cleaning via vacumn hose just before I remove the plugs.

I've NEVER used an impact gun to remove these plugs or any other for that matter, thats just asking to break something or strip threads.

Same here. Ford has a TSB which basically says the same thing. Yeah, I like Ford trucks but they screwed up here big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back