Honda GN4 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any opinions on the Honda GN4 10w40 dino oil?

I ran it in the 1986 Honda Helix I had and now run it in the 2007 Yamaha Vino 125. It's priced pretty well ($6 with tax) compared to most "motorcycle" oils out there.

Last edited:
few are below it.
realize that hondalube, yamalube, kawaski oil and suzuki oil are all bid out the to LOWEST cost (that meets the requirement) and it changes every 2 to 3 years.

and as my dozens upon dozens of tests have shown the 10w40 line of oils is one of the WORST at shear stability.

i know the weather pretty well (goHogsgo) and typically scooters are just held wide open and run hard.

i would HIGHLY recommend just about any brand of the 15w40 over gn4.

steve

Originally Posted By: Cubey

I ran it in the 1986 Honda Helix I had and now run it in the 2007 Yamaha Vino 125. It's priced pretty well ($6 with tax) compared to most "motorcycle" oils out there.

The Valvoline Dino 10w40 4t is much better than it. As is the Rotella 15w40 IMHO. Both are cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Cubey

Hi Cubey -- just another vote to recommend a known product like Rotella T (15W40) if you are sticking with a dino oil. Steve makes the point well to stay clear of "unknown" labeled oils, especially those proven to show downside performance. If cost is a large concern, you can find good sales on oils like Rotella T at Wally-World and O'Rielly Auto now and then.

Good luck with your Vino 125.
grin2.gif

I'm going to have to change the oil again soon since I am going to be replacing the belt and rollers and you have to drain the engine oil to do so.

I think I will use up the GN4 oil I already have since I have nearly a full extra quart already. Or perhaps I'll use it to top off a better quality oil since it's supposed to take slightly more than 1qt which I find really annoying. It's as if Yamaha did it just to sell more oil. Adding 1/10 of Honda oil to Valvoline oil shouldn't hurt it. Saves me wasting that Honda oil since I have nothing else to put it in. It'll take a while to use up is all.

I have thought about running synthetic but mine has fairly high miles, over 12k. I figure 12k on a scooter is about like 75k-100k on a car so it might give undesirable results.

The engine runs like a champ though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back