Looking at NAPA Synthetic for 1968 Ford 289

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I've been looking and looking (and looking) for ZDDP content of NAPA Synthetic. At one point I even found a link that shows ZDDP of various brands, but alas, I cannot find it again. I just cannot find that info, so I'm reaching out for help. Thanks in advance!

Google PQIA and they just recently completed a UOA on 5W30 Napa Synthetic. You should be able to go to Valvoline site and look at PDS on their oil, it's almost the same as Napa if not the same.

Hi,
RocketUSA - Any 5W-30 or 10W-30 synthetic (API conforming) lubricant will do the job very well

These engines lived well on mineral 10W-30 lubricants in their day - some of these were of dubious quality at the time

NAPA Synthetic is API conforming. The PQIA report for the oil shows 820ppm of zinc. (Thanks for the tip Topo) My mind is swimming with all of the possibilities out there. I just want to sure I'm doing the best I can for this old motor.

Edit: The label on the NAPA Synthetic does state "Resource Conserving" which, from my research, is code for lower levels of Zinc and other wear additives. Is this right? In that case, is this still a good choice for an older motor?

Last edited:
Is there a recommended ZDDP level for flat tappet motors though?

While NAPA syn is good, it is energy conserving oil that does not have enough ZDDP in it to protect your flat tappet camshaft and lifters. You will have to add ZDDP additive or buy oil that has more of it in it already.
Joe Gibbs Racing oil
Lucas Hot Rod oil
Even Valvoline Racing oil is good.
Shell Rotella 15W40 should still be up there on ZDDP

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gabe
It sounds like she needs M1 HM.

Spec sheet claims 1100 ZDDP on the Mobile1 High Mileage. Might be a good fit. Is that fully synthetic though? What about putting synthetic in a 45 year old motor that's never had it, I don't want to be leaking my oil right onto the ground.

Valvoline VR1 synthetic has around 1100-1200 PPM of zinc, it would be a good choice in a flat tappet engine, and if you have an AutoZone around it's $2 off/quart this month.

I would consider quaker state Defy 10/30 , i use it in my street rod w/ 350 chevy it has increased level zinc

Yep should run good on m1 hm.

Those things lasted pretty well for the oil quality of its era, you could use just about anything in a pinch.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Yep should run good on m1 hm.

Those things lasted pretty well for the oil quality of its era, you could use just about anything in a pinch.

Also i hope your going to use the Motorcraft FL1A filter for it
smile.gif

If it's stock whether it's rebuilt or not, just toss the QS Defy in it and be happy, I have same in a stock 428CJ Fairlane with 107K mi...

It's amazing that the oils of the 60s/70s had around 800ppm zinc(as reported by Blackstone when they tested original samples) but it's no longer good enough today...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
toss the QS Defy in it and be happy

Quaker State Defy, Synthetic Blend?

Originally Posted By: RocketUSA
Is there a recommended ZDDP level for flat tappet motors though?

Yes, the actual number is 1200PPM.

However, as you might expect, there are many other factors. Including the viscosity of the oil, it's change interval, it's base stock, other additives, and so on.

Generally speaking, a straight dino 10w oil, with 1200PPM ZDDP won't protect your flat tappet camshaft well enough, especially in tough conditions. Where as a fully synthetic, Mobil 1, 15W-50 with 1100 PPM will provide plenty.

If it were my engine, I'd use M1 high mileage 10W-40, or M1 15W-50. Both will flow well when cold, and provide excellent lubrication of flat tappet cams.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
If it's stock whether it's rebuilt or not, just toss the QS Defy in it and be happy, I have same in a stock 428CJ Fairlane with 107K mi...

It's amazing that the oils of the 60s/70s had around 800ppm zinc(as reported by Blackstone when they tested original samples) but it's no longer good enough today...

Not amazing at all. Many of those engines failed. I regularly took apart engines with failed camshafts. We used to say that GM made engines with plastic camshafts, as they would wear out that rapidly.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
If it were my engine, I'd use M1 high mileage 10W-40, or M1 15W-50. Both will flow well when cold, and provide excellent lubrication of flat tappet cams.

I considered it, but I'm a little wary of experiencing any new leaks by switching to fully synthetic. I've read that it can happen, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back