Under Valve Cover/ AutoRX Rinse filter pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
uh- PCV system? check it out...

coolant in the oil??

Eithor this thing was seriously neglected beyond all reason, or there is a problem going on that is causing the oil to sludge up like this....

I wonder how much oil is actually flowing up in there. I mean, ARX is great, but if it can't get to the parts, then it aint gona clean them...

the coverage of the sludge... doesn't look like it is directly related to where the oil flows.. it doesn't have dips and valleys in it, with exposed metal, the way you would have if this were the coking of oil... This looks more like an even layer.. of crud deposits, lots of carbon probably... as if the PCV system isn't keeping the air in there clean- vapors of crud settling on parts. Hard to attack contamination.

It sounds like you don't drive this thing very much... but that you might be interested in holding on to it for awhile, and trying to save money in the long haul..

I'd suggest an HDEO for it, with about 4oz arx into every other oil change.... just use it as you would normally, and over the years, the sludge might start to disapate.

SHAMAN YOU CAN LOOK AT THESE PHOTOS AND READ THE TEXT(SO CAN EVERONE ELSE THERE HAS BEEN NO DIRTIER ENGINE THAN THIS INCLUDING THE ONE FEATURED ON THIS POST) WE PUBLISH EVERY THING WE DO.THERE IS NO NEED FOR YOU TO POST OTHERWISE.

http://www.rms13.com/

Frank man, watch that caps-lock key. lol Just messing with you.

Maybe take some strong metal cleaner, like brake cleaner and just spray until you see metal and the top end is clean, drop the pan and clean it out, then do the same with the brake cleaner to the bottom end.

Then reassemble and run a few 500 mile OCI's on HDEO, with 4oz auto-rx.

Look at the pictures carefully and you will see areas that have been cleaned.My wife and daughter have horses if you don't clean the poopoo daily it will take more than 1 load to the poopoo pile to clean the area. The engine is not worth stressing about. How are the rest of the fluids?

The before pics of rms13.com do not even look as bad as my engine does after the AutoRX cleanings

Its also a DOHC engine which is totally different. It gets more oil flow to the areas shown than my engine does. I do not think you can directly compare the two.

The PCV has been changed recently but I do not know if it was working before that.
There is no noticeable coolant loss, but that doesn't mean I'm not losing any.

I also never said that AutoRX did not clean my engine AT ALL. I was just posting some pics showing that its still really dirty. I know the engine has gotten cleaner(and hasn't gotten worse)

I was mainly wondering if what I'm doing now:
3oz maintenance dose with each oil change is a good plan? Or if I should do something else.

Pretty common in the auto world.Lots of engines out there like that and LOTS run many miles that way.I've NEVER seen a chemical short of teardown and vating that that would clean that stuff.I've filled a engine to the TOP,where it was totaly full to the oil cap with parts washer solvent and let sit overnight and that GUNK was hardly fazed.Shows me and maybe some of YOU all what MECHANIC IN A CAN(Auto RX whatever does)Not MUCH but hit the wallet.To CLEAN that engine you need to pull the pan and valve covers,use carb cleaner and a scrapper screwdriver and have at it.Then NEW valve seals.Proberly SHOULD pull intake also OR leave it alone and DRIVE it.

every one of those tbi motors i have worked on had no vacuum to the pcv.
the port in the tbi base was plugged with sludge.
sometimes if you are lucky the sludge would stick to the base gasket but most of the time lots of scraping and b12 are needed to get it clean.
the tbi unit itself is always nasty.
make sure you clear the line from tbi base to pcv.
i have one now that was severely sludged up to to lack of regular oil changes by the po and plugged up pcv.i have run 2 doses of arx thru it and cleaned the junk from the heads with a brush,scraper and b12.
i pulled the distributer to change the gasket and peeked in the hole with a borescope.
same sludgey gritty crap.after the 2x arx treatments the sludge is somewhat reduced.
the arx cleaned up the ring packs and cured a lifter noise that i thought sure was only gonna get fixed by pulling intake and replaceing it.
not a miracle cleanup in a bottle but it proved its worth in other areas.

I think you have a case of not much oil flowing around in your engine so it cannot clean it up with so little flow. I think the maintenance dose is a good idea with a oil like Delo and 3000 mile changes. You could also do another complete auto-rx run but give it more time to clean and rinse. You sure have a challange on your hands.

The filter pics are of the filter from the last rinse phase. I didn't cut open any of the other filters.

I think that if you cut open the next filter, you may see that it too will have stuff in it. I think that it's still shedding material.

This doesn't appear to be getting much better.
1595 more miles.
 -

I guess now I know why the engine taps on startup part way into oil change interval.

The engine does have vacuum to the PCV btw. I didn't measure with a gauge, but its there.

t-stat?

it sure seems like the filter is catching a lot, but remember folks, on an old 350 TB virtually NO oil activity is going around up there. I had a caddy 4.9 OHV, and with the oil cap off, no oil was being pumped, or anything like that.

looks like the bottom of a 10 year old gas grill, what in the heck... that is the nastiest engine i have ever seen, ever.... i don't think anything is going to clean it, end of story. just my opinion

geez, what did that engine look like BEFORE the cleaning? could you not even see the rocker arms? i would reccomend the blue wrench for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back