Under Valve Cover/ AutoRX Rinse filter pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure where to go with this.
This is a pic of under my valve cover, filter from my second rinse phase using AutoRX.
This is a 93 5.7 TBI Engine with < 117,000 miles now.

The engine was extremely dirty before using the AutoRX, so its clear that it has cleaned it up some. I actually scraped some of the junk out of th valve covers, started to clean the rockers with B12chemtool/Kero + did a short flush with some Kero/oil before using AutoRX.

I followed the Sludge instructions.
The under valve cover pic is from just under 2000miles into the second rinse and the filter just over.

I didn't take any pics previously, I should have though.

WARNING LARGE PICS

http://www.wk.net/steveng/P8270032.JPG
http://www.wk.net/steveng/P8280034.JPG
http://www.wk.net/steveng/P8280041.JPG
http://www.wk.net/steveng/P8280043.JPG

quote:

Originally posted by 04SpecV:

The under valve cover pic is from just under 2000miles into the second rinse and the filter just over.

Am I reading this right? You've already run ARX in the engine (clean phase) twice , rinsed twice , and your engine still looks like that?

In other words, you've been through the ARX process for 7,000 miles, right?

quote:

Originally posted by Big O Dave:

quote:

Originally posted by 04SpecV:

Am I reading this right? You've already run ARX in the engine (clean phase) twice , rinsed twice , and your engine still looks like that?

In other words, you've been through the ARX process for 7,000 miles, right?

Yeah that is correct, but I came up with just over 6,500miles
1500 clean 2000 rinse 1000 clean 2000 rinse.
Well it actually says go between 2000 and 3000 miles on the second rinse.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
How did it get like that?

I'm not sure. It was my dads truck, but I can always remember it looking dirty thru the oil fill cap.
I think he got it around 80 or 85,000 miles. Did 3000 oil changes regardless of months I think. A lot of short trips. It seems like someone missed a few , or ALL of their oil changes to me
nono.gif

I'm sure AutoRX would eventually clean this up. Problem is I don't really drive it much. I went out of my way to get that many miles on it in a year. With the price of gas now I might never drive it, if I'm not hauling something.

I'd use Gunk 5-minute engine flush (a BITOG heresy), then remove & clean the oil pan & oil pump pickup screen. After the Gunk treatment, I'd run an HDEO for around 2k miles, then re-evaluate.

Holy, was that engine involved in some industrial fire? lol, sorry man, just looks bad. I agree with all of the above comments, cant go wrong with any. Try the LC flush or Amsoil/gunk flush then redo the autoRX and see what it looks like. Post back and let us know

I cleaned each rocker hole manually, got some of the major gunk off the rockers (before AutoRX). I flushed this thing with 16oz Kero (isnt that mostly whats in GUNK engine flush) before AutoRX. I shoulda used a quart or more. But it didn't aparently do squat.
Maybe a flush now would help. But who knows.

For as much money as I waisted in gasoline(extra pointless drives) +oil adds, I could've put it towards a rebuilt more powerful engine.

I was thinking the PCV valve was at fault, but the drivers side rocker cover has some sort of vent ( the one I took a pic of inside). I don't know.

I'm actually suprised this thing still runs
smile.gif

Right now I'm running 3oz A-RX with 5Quarts Mobil Clean 5000 (Free)

I had a caprice with a 305 that looked like that when i bought it at 100K. I still got 40K miles out of it and the motor never died.

Is this a Telltale sign of coolant ingestion? Generally overtemps or chemical reactions are what lead to this type of contaminant.

Uhh, I would DOUBLE DOUSE that engine with Auto-RX, seriously maybe 2 or 3 bottles at once. Thats harsh, really harsh.

I would also extend the clean phase to like 2000 miles with a filter change at the 1,000 mile mark.

Rinse phase would be 2500 miles, with oil filter change at 1000 miles.

Dino on both phases.

That filter looks rather saturated. Is that the first filter ..or the last
confused.gif
I'd like to see what each filter looked like to see if it's still picking up "stuff".

The filter pics are of the filter from the last rinse phase. I didn't cut open any of the other filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back