'02 Accord V6 Battery Group Size 24 vs. 35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new battery for my 2002 Honda Accord V6. The OEM lasted about 5.5 years & the replacement Interstate Megatron Plus MTP-24 lasted about 5.5 years as well. It appears that size 35 is a listed option. What's the pros & cons of going to a size 35 over the size 24? The physical size differences don't appear to be enough to matter. I live in Alabama so heat is more of a concern than cold.

If I stay with a group 24, Sears lists Diehard model 30024 (585CCA) for my car but says that Diehard model 50424 (650CCA) is wrong. Both are group 24 batteries & above the CCA required by Honda (500). What gives? Yes, I understand that CCA isn't the absolute sign of a good vs. bad battery & that shouldn't be the issue here. Maybe it's just the typical Sears mess but I assume there's something more to it.

Of course, I could go with another Interstate & get a Mega-Tron II MT-24 battery.

Thanks.

If it will fit, i would go with the bigger battery and the lowest cca. In alabama its not that cold and the lower cca will probably last longer.

Group 35 is 1" shorter in length than group 24, width and height are the same.

Group 34 is 1" shorter in height than group 24, length and width are the same.

Autozone has Duralast Gold group 34 at $100 and group 24 at $110. Group 34 need bottom height adaptor.

Group 34 has more CCA but less reserve capacity than 24.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Group 35 is 1" shorter in length than group 24, width and height are the same.

Group 34 is 1" shorter in height than group 24, length and width are the same.

Autozone has Duralast Gold group 34 at $100 and group 24 at $110. Group 34 need bottom height adaptor.

Group 34 has more CCA but less reserve capacity than 24.

A 34 is also reversed polarity compared to a 35 or 24F. May or may not be an issue.

Ok, so it was just the Sears website being worthless again. The 30024 is the old # & has been replaced by 50424. The 50424 is $95 - 10% since old one is more than 4 years old. That sounds like a strange deal but less money is less money.

50424 18/72 warranty

The Interstate battery is $105. 24/60 warranty

The Honda battery is $80. p/n 31500-SF1-A1100M 36/100 warranty

you can squeeze the reverse polarity in there if you wrangle with the cables.

I had an 02 accord. I don't recall the sizing but I was able to put a different battery in --- it was less expensive, higher CCA and higher RC, all good in my book.

IIRC the new battery ended up being reverse polarity, it was not as tall--- so I put a spacer on the bottom. but it was wider or taller, and all fit and buckled down under the bracket.

you basically have to shop by the dimensions and then see what you get in capacity/cost. it may not be worth your trouble. I like having extra capacity, not CCA but AH, which roughly correlates to RC. a little more legroom when leaving lights, flashers, or radio on for a bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back