VW Jetta 2.5L (gas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got a new Jetta with the 2.5L (gas) engine and see that it uses Castrol Edge w/SPT 5W-40. I've been running Mobil 1 0W-40 (factory fill) in my Porsche 997.2 without any issues.

Should I use the Castrol or Mobil 1 in the VW?

Hard to beat M1 0W-40. If you are a Castrol fan the new 0W-40 looks promising...

In daughters 2.5 Beetle have run Ultra, M1 0W-40,Castrol 0W-30 and 5W-40 as well as Valvoline SynPower 5W-40. Can't tell the difference...with possibly a slight edge to Ultra but could be in my head and butt dyno...LOL

M1 0w-40 would be a perfect choice for that engine and is certified to VW 502.00.

More importantly, it performs well in that engine and you likely already have some on hand. Any of typical 5w40s will also work well and likely be a bit cheaper but not all will have VW's certification (if that means anything to you).

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Yes, the VW cert if important as the VW is still under warranty. The 997.2 is too though.

If the Castrol Edge is better than the Mobil 1 0W-40 then I'll use it otherwise I'd just stick with the Mobil 1. Do you think the Mobil 1 really is good for 10k mls? I do change the 997.2 every 5k.

I just use the VW as a commuter since I drive ~110 mls per day.

I use M1 in my 2.5 and like it. Easy to find on sale and performs well. I've also used GC with good results, but I am more of a Mobil guy.

Good luck. While not the quietest or most powerful engine, every 2.5 I have owned is dead reliable.

M1 0w40 is one of the best engine oils around period. If your car allows for it's use (it meets VW spec for your car) then use it!!!!!

Originally Posted By: jtwrace
Do you think the Mobil 1 really is good for 10k mls?

Keep the oil level topped up and use a quality OE filter (Mann, Hengst, Knecht, Purflux or Bosch). At 110 miles a day, you'll have no issues going 10k miles on an oil change interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back