Thoughts on drain plug crud (PICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from my oil change yesterday on a 2007 5.3 LC9 in a Silverado.

20130331_104538.jpg

20130331_104602.jpg

not sure if what I'm seeing is a magnetic plug, but the creamy milky part seems like there's moisture in the oil (water or coolant)?

I'd drain it if I were you...better yet: see if you can send the oil to blackstone or similar to see if you have a gasket related coolant leak?

Q.

Change the oil and filter.

Are you doing a lot of short trips where the engine doesn't reach operating temperature for 30 minutes or more to burn-off contaminants and etc...?

If so, more frequent LOF maintenance is likely needed.

Originally Posted By: Quest
not sure if what I'm seeing is a magnetic plug, but the creamy milky part seems like there's moisture in the oil (water or coolant)?

I'd drain it if I were you...better yet: see if you can send the oil to blackstone or similar to see if you have a gasket related coolant leak?

Yes, it's a magnetic plug, and regarding the milky colored substance... my first thought was moisture too, but it's isolated to the magnetic plug i.e. the rest of the oil looked "normal". Also... the oil was drained... kinda hard to keep it in with the drain plug on my workbench.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Change the oil and filter.

Are you doing a lot of short trips where the engine doesn't reach operating temperature for 30 minutes or more to burn-off contaminants and etc...?

If so, more frequent LOF maintenance is likely needed.

Yes, I do a considerable amount of short trips. LOF is what exactly?

Originally Posted By: MGPD03

Yes, I do a considerable amount of short trips. LOF is what exactly?

LOF = Lube, Oil and Filter.

Just wondering, did you change the Silverado with the oil cold or warm/hot? As others have mentioned looks like a moisture/condensation situation on the drain plug. Sometimes something similar is seen on the filler cap and filler cap area.

Short tripper combined with winter service would be more likely to show this condition.

Originally Posted By: MGPD03
Originally Posted By: Quest

Yes, it's a magnetic plug, and regarding the milky colored substance... my first thought was moisture too, but it's isolated to the magnetic plug i.e. the rest of the oil looked "normal". Also... the oil was drained... kinda hard to keep it in with the drain plug on my workbench.
wink.gif

Water and coolant will sink to the bottom of the oil, and that means it will get all over the drain plug if the oil pan is well designed.

That would explain why the plug appears dirty with water and coolant and the rest of the system is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back