Valvoline Max Life Coolant/Antifreeze? Really??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have to say that Valvoline is marketing the MaxLife brand to the maximum! All hype aside, do you think this haas any advantage to regular coolants?

MaxLife Antifreeze Link

Features & Benefits
MaxLife® Antifreeze/Coolant helps extend the life of higher mileage vehicles by keeping your vehicle s engine temperature stable in all climates and driving conditions by transferring heat from the engine to the radiator. Over 60% of today’s vehicles on the road contain antifreeze with silicate. The leading antifreeze brands claiming “all makes, all models” use a corrosion inhibitor package without silicate. These chemistries, when mixed together, may fail to protect the cooling system from rust and corrosion. MaxLife® Antifreeze is the only antifreeze to contain Alugard® Plus, a special additive that allows these chemistries to work together to provide maximum protection.

Recommended for use in all makes, all models and compatible with all colors
Developed to work with all automobiles and light duty trucks
Helps protect against cold weather freeze-ups and hot weather boil-overs
Lubricates gaskets and seals

I've seen the ML AF link before and find the description to be confusing and not that informative. Does ML AF contain silicates, is it a low silicated formula or no silicates? Just what besides the Alugard mentioned does it contain?

Without more information really hard to say what is the best application for ML AF. Based on what is described and the ML name I'd say ML AF would be best used in place of, or mixed with conventional/original green.

Like ML Dex/Merc ATF but the AF description is too vague imo.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I've seen the ML AF link before and find the description to be confusing and not that informative. Does ML AF contain silicates, is it a low silicated formula or no silicates? Just what besides the Alugard mentioned does it contain?

Without more information really hard to say what is the best application for ML AF. Based on what is described and the ML name I'd say ML AF would be best used in place of, or mixed with conventional/original green.

Like ML Dex/Merc ATF but the AF description is too vague imo.

Exactly.

It claims to be an Extended Life Coolant while suggesting it contains silicates....confusing...maybe it's an HOAT...

I've got a story about this. My mom needed her coolant changed in the Sebring so I took it down to the local VIOC shop. I noticed the fluid being exchanged was a yellowish color and asked why they weren't using G-05, the worker responded that they no longer used G-05 and that it was the same thing. I told them that it definitely is not the same thing and that I should have been told that thst weren't going to use the factory recommended fluid. When I got home I called the Valvoline hotline and was pleasantly surprised by the tech. He assured me that while they're not the same fluid MaxLife has zero comparability issues with other coolants. He said that Valvoline was backing this product with a full guarantee and that if any damage was occurred that could be linked to MaxLife they would cover the cost. It's been about 3 months and I haven't noticed anything bad yet.

MaxLife is targeted at older vehicles... when it comes to coolant it looks to me like Valvoline is selling conventional IAT (inorganic) coolant under the MaxLife name. That said, all the MaxLife products seem to be pretty high quality fluids and not to gimmicky apart from the name. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Another thread on this antifreeze/coolant. It sounds like old green conventional with a different color.
I will stick with JD CG or CGII.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2491912&page=1

Yep it appears to be original green formula with a different dye color. It has phophates, silicates, no nitrites and a pH similar to original green. Valvoline must think the low silicate formula is OK in Japanese cars, and I'd agree that phosphates are a problem in Euro cars if if the water isn;t hard.

I didn't know that 'original green formula' could be used for 5 years/150K as Valvoline recommends with this coolant?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Another thread on this antifreeze/coolant. It sounds like old green conventional with a different color.
I will stick with JD CG or CGII.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2491912&page=1

That is a more illuminating thread on ML AF. The emails to and subsequent responses from Valvoline gives one more information. No 2eha, but according to responses has everything else but amines. I'm guessing that it's a low silicate formulation, but really no way to tell. PDF in thread not too enlightening other than it is also referred to as Zerex Maxlife AF.

Still think primary application would be in for original green. Based on all information not too impressed with ML AF.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Still think primary application would be in for original green. Based on all information not too impressed with ML AF.

I'm not "impressed," but I do like the fact that it is one of the only clearly-marketed, robust, silicate/phosphate/IAT coolants left out there. Go try to figure out (for SURE) whether the house-brand green goo at Pep Boys, NAPA, or your parts-store of choice is IAT or an all-makes all-models DexClone. It can be done, but at least its a guarantee with MaxLife AF.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
]

I'm not "impressed," but I do like the fact that it is one of the only clearly-marketed, robust, silicate/phosphate/IAT coolants left out there. Go try to figure out (for SURE) whether the house-brand green goo at Pep Boys, NAPA, or your parts-store of choice is IAT or an all-makes all-models DexClone. It can be done, but at least its a guarantee with MaxLife AF.

Those house brands are pretty clearly labeled from my experience. I know that NAPA, Advance, and Autozone all have the traditional formula available at least in my location. As for a brand name low silicate, traditional antifreeze, being available in the market today, they are still out there. Peak, and Texaco, just to name a couple and are sold at many outlets across the country.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back