MERCON V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart's own Supertech Mercon V is licensed by Ford. I would try that before I try Valvoline "Mercon V".

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Just a reminder to order Lubgard RED...and add it to your ATF at... one ounce per quart of ATF.

Just curious as to why you would recommend using "LubeGard Red?" My philosophy is, if ain't broke don't fix it. I have owned several F150's with the "AOD" type transmission and all I have used was Mercon V, with no problems at all.
smile.gif

It's not clear why that comment was made. Lubegard makes ATF additives with _excellent_ reputation, but I believe that if your cars runs fine as is, then certainly do not add any additives to it. If it does develop issues, it's certainly worth to roll dice with a $10 bottle of Lubegard additive instead of +2000 paid to transmission shop for rebuild. Lubegard does recommend that when your transmission already has problems, like slips or shudder, then you should try Lubegard Platinum, their strongest additive. It worked well for me.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Walmart's own Supertech Mercon V is licensed by Ford. I would try that before I try Valvoline "Mercon V".

I would want the superior performance of a modern fluid like MaxLife ATF over any older-spec flud like Mercon V. MaxLife ATF (and many others) goes beyond 'V' and exceeds the performance requirements of both SP and LV.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Just a reminder to order Lubgard RED...and add it to your ATF at... one ounce per quart of ATF.

Just curious as to why you would recommend using "LubeGard Red?" My philosophy is, if ain't broke don't fix it. I have owned several F150's with the "AOD" type transmission and all I have used was Mercon V, with no problems at all.
smile.gif

Reason I would recommend Lubegard Red....is many BITOG folks suggest it....and I understand that most transmission re builders use it as well and recommend it... In addition....it has very excellent reviews from many on this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back