Finally did it -- Toyota Tundra!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally bought my truck! Big decision, a pinch more than I wanted to spend, but, it's over with. 2010 Tundra Double Cab, 4x4, 73kmiles, 4.6L, towing package, LineX bedliner, new tires, certified pre-owned. Not the fire-breathing 5.7L that everyone recommends, but, I think the price was alright, and I think it will do the trick for me (towing well under 80% GCWR, better mpgs unloaded, less money up front initially, good winter vehicle, etc). Thanks all for the discussion.

Whew!

I have had my 08 Tundra DC 4x4 5.7L . Great truck and I think you'll like yours too. I have about 79K on mine, nothing but oil changes, a tranny and diff services and front brake job.

Not replacing, gonna keep the TDi. I mean, so far, I do love driving the truck; but at some point I will have to fill it up; and at 45 miles one way to work... I wouldn't get that much on selling my VW, I don't think, and for the miles I drive (25k/year min) I think it's a wiser choice to finish running it into the ground.

The truck allows me something capable in snow, gives me a needed spare vehicle, and allows me to tow more than what a small(er) SUV would allow, if I were to replace the VW. [I looked at a V6 RAV4 as a possible replacement vehicle, but decided against it.] The bed allows me to move lots of stuff, and so on and so forth.

Nice truck! Always admired the Tundra...would consider one...but the 4 Runner just keeps running great...can't go wrong with a Toyota Truck!

Tundra is not my taste of trucks, but hey that's why there are choices - you made yourr choice and I wish you luck with that.

Congrats.
We know that you have been agonizing over this and IMO you have made a wise choice.

BUT...we have got to see some pics.
thumbsup2.gif

Me at the dealer:
main.php

Shot at showroom:
main.php
[/img]

At home: it's a bit bigger than the Jetta!
three

four

Does it fit in the driveway? Let's see:
nine

Just barely!
eight

Couple of interior shots, of course I forgot to take some of the back, go figure. I'll have to update this post later.
five

six

The only real flaw so far is this stain in the bed. This weekend I'll try to scrub it out--the dealership said it wasn't coming off with multiple powerwashings. What do I care--it's a truck!
seven

Now I really want to open up the camper this weekend!
ten

Not sure on FE at the moment. This morning I had a quarter tank left, but I don't know how much they over-filled it, nor how linear the gauge is. At one-quarter left I had 290miles on the tank. I've been driving at 60mph back roads, and 65 highway, and driving very gently, to see max mpg. Not that I bought it for that purpose, but I want to make sure that it is running properly. Have to fill up today, and the next tank will likely be driven "normally" with more stop and go, and higher speeds. I'd like to believe I could hit 20mpg if I was really gentle; but I didn't buy it for max mpg. As long as it's not 12mpg unloaded I probably shouldn't care. Much.

I did some reading on the transmission temperature gauge. At first I thought it was a selling point. It's a joke, according to the forums; it is apt to read dead center from something like 150F to 240F. So I pulled out my old Scangauge from my car, found the XGauge for transmission temperature, and plugged it in, so as to watch ATF and coolant temp. Also inlet air temp (I pulled it from my turbocharged Jetta).

Yesterday morning it was 25F, and the coolant temp stayed about 185F. Transmission temp stayed about that too, maybe 195F near work, where it turns into stop and go. Mind you, my drive is like 20 miles of 60mph backroad, 20 miles highway (which I took at 65) and a couple of city, with 3 to 5 stoplights. Inlet temp seems to stay around indicated outside temperature, but I didn't watch too closely. [Don't have plans for a cold air intake, this gauge is only on because I didn't change it from the Jetta.]

I gain elevation to go home, though; last night ambient was 55F. Engine temperature was more like 190, maybe 195 (forgot already), and ATF hung out there too. Except will gently accelerating up some hills. I saw 222F! I'm not sure what to think about that.

From what I've read tow/haul mode just raises shift points, don't know if it helps keep the convertor locked or not. I did not try the feature out, as I wanted a tank or two to figure out FE first before I start doing things that like. I should go see if I can get an XGauge that displays convertor lockup status.

I am starting to learn how to park this thing. Just a hair bigger than the Jetta... Love the power mirrors, I am glad I did not go with a more base model vehicle. [My Jetta and Camry do have them also, I just don't use them much, so I've forgotten how nice they are.]

Last edited:
Yes, it's pretty rusty. It needs two front fenders, a door and the rear hatch. I need to pull the fenders off, as I strongly suspect that the cancer is spreading into the front rocker. That is worrying--fenders can be replaced, rockers are a lot more work.

Underneath looks pretty good though; no fears on the floorboards rusting through.

The VW has done me well, I think. It's not a nice enviroment up here, salt and snow and whatnot.

Just did the first fillup on the truck. Ouch. I thought I had done a really good job--driving 60mph on back roads, 65 on the highway, made sure to stay in sixth as much as possible. 16.8mpg. That hurts! I hope it's winter gas or something! I was hoping for just a hair better, but I guess it's actually reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back