Thickest weight oil you used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil1 15w-50 in an m30 powered BMW 535i. She is a "garage queen" so cold starts aren't an issue. I will likely move back to xxw-40 for the next oil change.

20w50 in a 69 Dodge D-100, 57 chevy, 77 IH Scout, and I think in my 67 lemans.

it helped with some oil consumption issues.

at the time was under the impression that thicker was better except with the scout. That was to give it a ZDDP boost.

Got some 5w50 left over that I'll probably just dump in the jeep before I switch to defy.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
20w-50 SuperTech in my 99' Neon R/T. Favorite car ive owned, didnt burn a drop of oil when i bought it. I seafoamed the intake manifold and gas a few months later, started burning oil. Would stall out on cold winter mornings with the 20w-50 before it came up to temp. 5w30 would burn a quart in 20 seconds at WOT.

So can we conclude from this that Seafoam causes oil burning in modded cars? LOL

10w40 in everything until the 90s.

Originally Posted By: weebl
Originally Posted By: atikovi

I don't get that chart. How can the 75W have the same viscosity as 5W or 10W? Doesn't make sense.

I used to think the same. Then on BITOG, I learned that the scales used for viscosity on gear/transmission oils are completely different than for engine oil.

Exactly. Iirc a 20w-50 engine oil is similar in viscosity to a 70w-140 gear oil. I might be mixed up though and its a 70w-90 gear oil that's similar.

I used 15W50 M1 in my 95 Jag XJ6 before trying 10W40 dino, then 10W30 HDEO, and now M1 HM 10W40. All seemed to run fine, meaining no sluggishness, however there appears to be a 1-2 mpg penalty with the 40 and 50 weights.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: weebl
Originally Posted By: atikovi

I don't get that chart. How can the 75W have the same viscosity as 5W or 10W? Doesn't make sense.

I used to think the same. Then on BITOG, I learned that the scales used for viscosity on gear/transmission oils are completely different than for engine oil.

Exactly. Iirc a 20w-50 engine oil is similar in viscosity to a 70w-140 gear oil. I might be mixed up though and its a 70w-90 gear oil that's similar.

Most International Harvester owners run SAE 50 motor oil in the trans and transfer case.

Nothing too fancy here, M1 15w50 in a 355 race engine.

Just watched a nitro team dump 70WT Red Line into the engine on TV.

This is not in a car. But I've used Aero Shell 15W50 on a Cessna 172 Lycoming O-320.

That stuff is pretty thick. During the winter months you have to preheat the oil/engine prior to start up or risk engine damage with low to non-existent oil pressure. The oil is a major part of cooling as it is air cooled.

Also one must avoid letting the engine sit for too long when doing a short stop. It's pretty hard to find a plug/heater in remote airports.

Straight 50 weight and two bottles of STP in an old Case model D tractor. Otherwise, it burns oil so quickly and creates such a cloud of smoke, you can hardly stay on the tractor.(With filter change, it's an eight quart system).

15w60 is what I am currently using in my '01 Magna (Diamante), having recently changed from 10w50. Jury is still out this one.

Some Mitsubishi dealers in Australia use 10w, some 15w, I've used 10w40/50 Synthetics up until my oil change today, so we'll see how the 15w performs -- I still may return to the 10w yet, if the fuel economy suffers.

Last edited:
I ran Amsoil 20-50 and M1 15-50 in my Land Rover for a few years. The owners manual specs 20-50 for temps above 32* but also recommends lighter grades. I now run 10-30 HDEO in it.

I put about a gallon of gear oil in the B2000 oil burner when I was [censored] off at it and out of top off oil... ran fine and nothing changed much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back