$25 gun tax in Cook Co. begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The tax applies only to guns bought outside Chicago within the county"

It will only make small locally owned places less competitive.

It appears to me the voters need to send Toni a good strong message next time. Plus, what she says goes against everything Obama says about Chicago safety.

Amazing! What is even more amazing is that these clowns can explain their rationale about how a $25 tax is going to stop gangbangers from shooting up the city and be straight faced about it.

The comments posted after the link sum it up well. Now I fully understand when my sister says to me that the biggest mistake they ever made was returning to Cook County from Will County.

I love Chicago...great city, great people! But what's up with the crazy taxes?!!! Where's all that money going? They should be flush with cash in the Cook County coffers as much as they tax.

Well it's good to know that Cook county politicians are perfectly willing to impose a regressive tax on people that have absolutely nothing to do with the crime problem they are trying to "fix".

Quote:
Gun violence is a real problem for us,

How easy it is for them to blame inanimate objects for the behavior of immoral people. Coming up with these feel good "fixes" is far easier than addressing the real problem of social decay.

The ATF district Cook County is in, was 90th out of 90 when it comes to the enforcement of federal firearm laws. Illinois has the strictest gun laws, background checks, 1 day and 3 day waits for the purchase of guns......yet Chicagoland has 40 plus murders a month.
.....work the problem.

If you think it is NOT about 2nd amendment rights and controlling law abiding gun owners, think again.

I am not sure politicians - or government - is to blame for Chicago's awful gun laws.

The people in Chicago are under the disillusion that, if you take away guns, violent criminals will no longer violent or criminal. A couple months ago, we had people protesting the supreme court's decision to overturn Chicago's cc laws.

Chicago is whacked....Pension system and educational system is in upheaval as well.

This is terribly flawed. $25 isn't going to do anything. It needs to be at least $26 to get any results. $25 is way way too low. Sad thing is it'll probably be several days to weeks before anyone sees the flaw and suggests the proper fix. I bet $50 would cut violent crime by at least 143%, maybe more.

I'd gladly pay a $25 tax on a $2000 shotgun. But, I won't pay 2 taxes, such as "sales tax" and "gun tax". That's unconstitutional, plain and simple.

Originally Posted By: hatt
This is terribly flawed. $25 isn't going to do anything. It needs to be at least $26 to get any results. $25 is way way too low. Sad thing is it'll probably be several days to weeks before anyone sees the flaw and suggests the proper fix. I bet $50 would cut violent crime by at least 143%, maybe more.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back