Who buys 100 octane racing fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw 100 octane racing fuel at a Circle K station this afternoon. (Circle K is a convenience store out west). No race track anywhere around. No airport either. The stuff was 7 dollars a gallon. Evidently it has no ethanol.

Any idea who the target buyer would be? I could see if I have a homemade airplane I might buy something like that, but its nearly as expensive as Av Gas. I know people like to avoid ethanol, I do too, but at 7 bucks a gallon? I know the new engines adjust engine timing for octane, but does that even work past say, octane 94? No doubt they sell a few gallons to curious people. I would have thrown a few gallons in there just to see what it did (I wasn't driving). But beyond that, who would buy this stuff?

People like me who are dumb enough to put 14:1+ compression pistons in a 4cyl Lol.

I THOUGHT about it, but then realized 8 dollars a gallon for 113 octane fuel was going to get expensive the way I plan to drive...

The market is for people with modified cars obviously, but unlike you the place that sells this gas is only maybe 20 miles from a track in the city.

Last edited by a moderator:
For track days; it's running about $7.29 a gallon on the mid-peninsula last time I looked at a regular source last month, which is signifcantly less expensive its price at the track. I guess a savings of $12ish 2 or 3 times a year isn't that big of a deal, but it's all part of the prep process which is part of the fun.

That's kind of strange. And you're probably at high altitude. Some Sunoco stations around here a long time ago use to sell racing gas and we have some race tracks and airports plus low altitude. Is it unleaded? Non ethanol, leaded, high octane gas would be great for a classic musclecar.

Hmm maybe it could be used in some motocross or ATVs, but would you need 100 octane if you're at say 5k-7k ft elevation?

Last edited:
I think the market is for people (suckers) who think that putting it in a stock engine or and engine with bolt-ons will make a difference. Of course, I'm sure there are a handful of people in the area who can actually use it, but I would guess that the majority of the buyers are only buying it because they think it is cool.

Back when I used to turn a wrench at the local gas station most of the 100 octane race gas went into boats, some into motorcycles. Usually they'd bring a pickup truck with several gas caddies to fill, but some people would just bring the whole boat on a trailer rather than pump 80G to 200G of gasoline turning a crank by hand.

I do specifically recall one incident where all of us were eating lunch when an irate Benny came inside to complain about the price. It turns out he'd insisted that the gas attendant fill his MDX with "the best" and didn't care about the price. He changed his mind after he saw what 26G of $11/G fuel adds up to. I think it was 26G, but it was around there anyway. In the end he paid his bill and probably learned something.

bikers, boaters, modded cars, and some super OPE users

about the only ppl I can think of that will shell out for non ethanol/high octane fuel.

Last edited:
Circle K's on the east coast are fed fuels by Irving Oil Co out of Canada.Sure dont see 100 octane around here..

We have 100 Octane fuel here. Shell did breifly do a 100 octane V-Power, but that has since disappeared from the pumps.
The only other readily available 100 octane fuel found in retail servos, in Australia, that I know of is P100, through United Petroleum. Containing upto 10% ethanol though, I'd hardly consider it a race fuel.
The most common non-ethanol higher octane fuel available from the normal servos in Australia is 98 octane.

Last edited:
I know a few people that modify their engines to get up around 7-800 horsepower and engine is so high of compression they claim they need this type of fuel to make it run correctly.

Or just do a mix of 91 octane unleaded premium with the 100 octane race gas. 25% race gas does give a usable boost in octane, and the improved evaporation characteristics will increase power.

I used to run 100+ octane Cam2 racing fuel in my motocross bike. Noticeably better power than 92 octane and the cost was inconsequential for the amount I used. I would fill the MB in my signature with it for a track day, but not for daily driving...

Are there a lot of hot rodders/hot rod meets in your area??

Some of those old school, open wheel, deuce coupes, running carbs and ultra high compression (or blowers) with old school coils/distributors just cannot tune 'down' to current lower octane levels.
wink.gif

Yes, and mid to late 60s musclecars as well, as has been mentioned.

It was in Southern Arizona. Some dirt biking going on I expect....a few dyed in the wool hot rodders I guess could make it worthwhile, since its probably the only pump in 75 miles. Didn't appear to have ethanol, although the pump did say racing "fuel"

Originally Posted By: ammerty
We have 100 Octane fuel here. Shell did breifly do a 100 octane V-Power, but that has since disappeared from the pumps.
The only other readily available 100 octane fuel found in retail servos, in Australia, that I know of is P100, through United Petroleum. Containing upto 10% ethanol though, I'd hardly consider it a race fuel.
The most common non-ethanol higher octane fuel available from the normal servos in Australia is 98 octane.

Just a point of clarification: 98 RON in other parts of the world is roughly equivalent to the 93 R+M/2 pump octane number in the US and Canada - who stopped listing the RON on the pumps in the mid '70s and switched to the R+M/2 pump octane number.

I used to put it in my '79 Grand Prix with a transplanted '74 400 Pontiac. Turn up the timing and let it rip! That was back in my late teens in the early '90s and it could be purchased for $2.59/gallon, and RUG was $0.89/gallon.

Now, anyone with an Audi 2.7t can have their ECU tuned by APR for a 100 octane race gas map for track days. Really popular with the B5 S4 guys.

This fuel is ideal for compression ratios at 11-1 or more and engines that a running alot of boost.
It would also be beneficial to nitrous injected engines allowing a larger shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back