2012 VW Beetle vs. 2012-13 Fiat 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Fiat fan, I've been after a 500 since they arrived in America, I finally went out and test drove one and I LOVED it, but on my way back I became curious in the 2012 Beetle. I drove the Beetle turbo with the 6 speed. I am happy to report, WHAT A CAR! The gear change, the noise, and those looks, I loved it. Unfortunately, The beetle turbo or not, isn't as fuel efficient as you think. It gets around 29-30 mpg highway, while other cars of the same range get 36-40 mpg. Mind you the Beetle is a more expensive car, and its a few bucks more to insure, yet the maintenance and warranty is better. In the end, I'm sure I'll end with the Fiat, but what would you go with and why. And if you own either, tell me your experience.

Travis

I'm still waiting for VW to do something different under the hood.

The TDi and 2.0T are interesting, but you are pushing up on 25K for those models. That's midsize money. Well appointed midsize money. Not Mexican retro coupe money.

I just don't want the 5 cylinder.

The other thing that bugs me is that I know it's not going to be anything like my old Type1s and I will have buyer's remorse immediately.

We bought 2 2013 Fiat 500 Sports and love them. Both at 5 speed manuals with upgraded audio, climate control and heated seats.

We drive the two completely differently. Mine is highway driven 120 miles a day at speeds up to 80ish, cruise on most of the time. 39 MPG average on winter blend fuel. 12,500 miles so far. Zero issues.

My wife's car is 90% city driven. 34 MPG average. 3,300 miles. Has needed a new intermediate shaft to cure clunk sound in steering at low speeds and also the seat frame on the driver's side was a bit out of spec and had to be replaced to cure an extremely slight seat wobble.

Factory Fill oil is PYB 5W30 on the non turbo cars. Turbo models get PU 5W40.

I see you are in IL. If you are near the Chicago area, I'd check out Fields Fiat. Fields has a Fiat store in Orlando as well, and we were treated very well there.

I really love the 500 but I know nothing about the Beetle.
I would honestly assume the 500 would be better in the long run but it's hard to say since they're both new models.

I would love a 500 Abarth. Need to test drive one someday.

A girl I work with just bought a 500.

No offense to anyone with one. I just did not like it at all.

If your into the small car segment, a certified pre-owned Mini could fit the bill for the same price, if not less. . . . .

I have considered Fields, but I have been trying to go to the Fiat Chicago Studio since they have a couple of cars in the exact model and trim that I want. I will check out the Orland place as well. Thanks!

Travis

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
A girl I work with just bought a 500.

No offense to anyone with one. I just did not like it at all.

If your into the small car segment, a certified pre-owned Mini could fit the bill for the same price, if not less. . . . .

I traded a Mini on my Fiat. The Mini will not be a cheap car to keep- maintenance/repairs are extremely expensive. My Mini was no stranger to the shop. I traded with 32K on the clock.

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
p.s. I have a house near Orlando and will be going there this week

Check them out online. The Orlando studio is small (on Orange Avenue downtown) and they don't have a lot of room for cars on site. They have an off site storage lot/building somewhere and will bring in a car for you from there if needed. My car was on the showroom floor, my wife's was off site and brought in within an hour.

The 3rd generation (or whatever it is called) 210 hp 2.0t should be in the Beetle very soon if they aren't trickling out already. It is supposed to get better mileage.

Unless I am badly mistaken a Beetle is a good bit larger than a Fiat 500 at least in foot print.

You're a Fiat fan, go for the Fiat. I don't think you'll regret it. Aside from you're a fan of this brand, it's cheaper and economical.

I'd pick a Fiat over a VW if such a small car was useable with children and strollers and stuff.

I am not sure if VW has gotten the reliability of the brand up to snuff yet.

I was looking into buying a VW City Golf, but did a lot of research. The reliability for models before 2010 was far below average so I ended up getting a Honda Fit instead.

VW really knows how to make a nice looking vehicle. But if they are plagued with quality and electrical issues still I wouldn't bother.

If I were to get the 500, it would have to be the Abarth version.

Alas, having grown up around Fiats, I don't have much regard for them in general. I'd probably be looking at the new Golf instead.

Go for the Fiat 500 Abarth, that thing looks like a blast. Almost bought one instead of the Civic, but the Fiat didn't fit into our long term plan and goals.

Go for 500turbo or Abarth, thay are so much more fun than non turbo. Also different tranny.
Love mine, Abarth will be next. This car is attention getter, I never had people ask so many q. About any other cars I had.

Last edited:
I like the recent restyle of the Beetle. Especially the rear view. the first time I saw it, I thought it looked like a mini Porsche 911. But I doubt that it will lose its chick car image.
I would not consider VW's reliability worse than the Fiat. Neither are much to write home about IMO if history is any indication.

I'd never own anything that says Fiat on it. If I want something unreliable it'd better have a LOT more power than a Fiat 500.

Originally Posted By: JRed
I'd never own anything that says Fiat on it. If I want something unreliable it'd better have a LOT more power than a Fiat 500.

Stop following 70s stereotypes. Fiat 500 scored 8/10 by Top Gear tests, and showed fine reliability in Europe.

Last edited:
My vote is for the Beetle. The newer larger one is way nicer than the 12 year old bubble-beetle. Something about the 500 screams "female" all over it. Now if it came with the Italian girl in the commercial........

Originally Posted By: MBS500
Originally Posted By: JRed

Stop following 70s stereotypes. Fiat 500 scored 8/10 by Top Gear tests, and showed fine reliability in Europe.

+ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back