High Mileage Oil Burning Comparison Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car burns oil and want to know: What is the best solution to do? Spend the money on RedLine oil. Use Mobil 5000 and Marvel Mystery Oil? Use Mobil 5000 and Auto-RX Plus? Continue using M1 High Mileage? Use Schaeffer's #132 Moly E.P. Oil Treatment with Mobil 5000?

Currently on the first jug of M1 HM 10w-30 with 32XX miles and added a quart.

You aren't using that much oil. I have had great experiences with Mobil Super. Currently have Mobil Super HM in my Cherokee. Stopped all of the drips in the driveway.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
If I read your post correctly, I'd say one quart in a little over 3,000 miles isn't bad at all. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

well within spec on most auto's (doesnt mean you have to like it) but within spec..

That's not bad at all, if it bugs you just stick with straight HM oil but jump up a grade. Maxlife 10w40 or the Mobil Super 10w40 would be good choices, but Maxlife has a patented additive to reduce consumption, so that would be my choice if consumption was the issue I was trying to improve.

Some of the additives you mentioned would probably increase consumption, at least at first but might do some cleaning. If you want to go the additive route STP blue bottle will thicken the oil and reduce consumption, but just using thicker oil would be greatly preferred. You could add it to your current fill though without changing oil.

Before choosing to add oil additives do you know how the oil is being consumed. Is it getting by the rings or valve guides or is it leaking somewhere.
First figure out how it's being consumed then choose a plan of attack.
If its the rings I would first start with a piston soak. It could be that the rings are coked up.
A high mileage oil can't hurt. Mobil makes a good one known for keeping internals clean,valvoline also has a fantastic line of hm oils.
Before just adding whatever to the oil pinpoint the problem,then proceed accordingly.

A lot of things to consider here. Check/change your PCV valve, use OEM oil filters, and change spark plugs. Don't wait for a quart to disapper until you top off. Do it in 1k mile intervals. After all these, then worry about what oil to use.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
If I read your post correctly, I'd say one quart in a little over 3,000 miles isn't bad at all. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

Agreed, I like the idea of adding a little fresh oil between changes...

Originally Posted By: Quest
what car, what mileage, what mechanical conditions, etc?

Car is 110,000 Dodge Neon 2000. At 105,000 put in M1 HM oil and Napa Platinum filter. The car ran on nothing but Valvoline White Bottles and a case or two of Castrol GTX. Think the problem, when I notice it, started about in the low 80Ks with the low oil warning light coming on twice. Drained and replaced what little black oil it had in it with Valvoline SynPower 10w-30 + Fram ToughGuard at 83,200.

Added a quart (used up the oldest oils which was 12-pack Valvoline Racing 20w-50 then a 6 pack of Durablend, then what ever Dino I had left in my stash) every time it needed it.

Every 30K I add a bottle of STP Complete Fuel Cleaner to the gas tank. New PCV, lower radiator hose, serpentine belt, water pump, transmission fluid, coolant fluid, break fluid, steering fluid Prestone plus stop leak, Thermostat, All 4 coil springs n structs n shocks, and Key ignition solenoid.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
It could be that the rings are coked up.

Very likely.

Originally Posted By: V8man
Piston Soak!

I will do that soon with Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner than replace the original spark plugs and motor oil-filter.

What is left to be replaced: Cabin air filter, timing belt, the radio, and the starter.

Mobil 1 HM is excellent oil. Maxlife also very good, but I tend to run it about 3/4 as long as the M1. Say like 7500 miles vs 10k miles with M1 HM. One qt of oil consumption for 3000 miles is really not bad at all. No doubt an engine will consume more oil if the rings are coked. If you can get the rings freed up again, you may be able to reduce oil consumption and increase compression/power/efficiency as well. May be worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back