Using Tractor Fluid in my Tracker Drive Train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an extra pail of Shell Spirax S4 TXM, its GL-4 and SAE J 306 85W rated.
Any reason I can't use it in the manual trans and transfer case in my Tracker? I wonder if the wet brake anti chatter additives would not allow the synchros to work properly?
GL-4 75W85 is allowed for all operating temperatures in the manual and the spirax has a pour point of -42 so it should be OK for cold weather atleast.
The diffs are spec'd for GL-5 hypoid gear oil so I'd assume they would wear quickly with a GL-4 oil.
I'd think someone has tried this before as tractor fluid is about half the cost of a 75W90 gear oil.

Quote:
as long as it has the correct spec (GL-4) or (GL-5) it should be fine for manuel transmissions or differentials.

Let's be careful here. Most GL4 oils contain Anti-Wear additives but do not contain the Extreme Pressure additives needed for hypoid differentials.

Never use a GL4 in a Hypoid differential.

The 100C viscosity of the Spirax is 9.3 cSt and it contains loads of calcium.

A 75W85 has a viscosity of about 10.5 cSt, so the viscosity is close, but I would question the shifting performance and it's use in the transfer case.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
as long as it has the correct spec (GL-4) or (GL-5) it should be fine for manuel transmissions or differentials.

Let's be careful here. Most GL4 oils contain Anti-Wear additives but do not contain the Extreme Pressure additives needed for hypoid differentials.

Never use a GL4 in a Hypoid differential.

The 100C viscosity of the Spirax is 9.3 cSt and it contains loads of calcium.

A 75W85 has a viscosity of about 10.5 cSt, so the viscosity is close, but I would question the shifting performance and it's use in the transfer case.

Hmmm, I've quit using the spirax in my tractor as its got a hst and I think under heavy ground engagement the oil thins out too much with the higher temperatures. Would a mtx heat up much with say an average of 50 or 60 hp going through it for heavy towing?
My tracker has 127hp and weighs 3000lbs but the driveline was used for the 170hp and 3700lb XL7 with a 3500lb tow rating, so it should be under stressed.
I'm having trouble finding 75W90 gear oils locally for under $12 per liter.... And then they are just GL-5 rated with no mention of yellow metal compatibility.

Well, you could either order some Redline MTL 75W80 or Amsoil MTL over the net or do the following:

Take a VOA of the Spirax. Run the Spirax say 20-50 hours and then do a Used oil analysis. Also record the shifting qualities of the fluid.

If the shifting quality and the UAO are unsatifactory, then dump it.

I wussed out and put in some proper gear oil... I think this might be the last change I'll have to do so it wouldn't make much sense to experiment now. Boring but safe I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back