IllinoisFOID Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to renew my FOID card. OK. They still ask for a picture, even though they use a computerized one from your driver's license.
Normal wait is up to 30 days, and I am overdue. I am now technically illegal. The wait now is 2-3 months. About 400,000 new applications are why.

I had no idea what a FOID card was since we have nothing like that here in Virginia. Wow, that is a lot of applications. Hope you do not get in trouble, or move to a state that isn't violating the Constitution.

I wouldn't leave the house with anything firearm related.

Chicago has the worst gun laws.

I always knew I was fortunate to live in Michigan,but recently I have come to appreciate it all the more. Shall issue conceal carry- open carry legal . Even in the larger cities for the most part there are still the core values of an outdoor hunting/fishing lifestyle.

Mechtech2, You just need to move about an hour NorthEast and you would be in a different world. Plenty of good jobs for a good tech like yourself!

Last I heard was it was a 62 day backlog.

Illinois at its absolute finest.

Anything that you have to rely on this state for, you'd better do it a little sooner than necessary.

That's ridiculous. They should set it up so if you apply to renew 30 days prior to your expiration you're automatically good to go. Maybe make a stub of your application your temporary permit or whatever.

I doubt they'll make any effort to make it easier to get the FOID and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the delay wasn't planned as a delay. Good luck if "they" come knocking on your door.

I'm trying to get a CCW permit.

17 months and counting. I think I needed to include a few crisp new C-notes with my application in this state.

From the ISP website:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

I believe it's law they approve or deny the apps in 30 days.

Quote:

(430 ILCS 65/5) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-5)
Sec. 5. The Department of State Police shall either approve or deny all applications within 30 days from the date they are received, and every applicant found qualified pursuant to Section 8 of this Act by the Department shall be entitled to a Firearm Owner's Identification Card upon the payment of a $10 fee. Any applicant who is an active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States, a member of the Illinois National Guard, or a member of the Reserve Forces of the United States is exempt from the application fee. $6 of each fee derived from the issuance of Firearm Owner's Identification Cards, or renewals thereof, shall be deposited in the Wildlife and Fish Fund in the State Treasury; $1 of such fee shall be deposited in the State Police Services Fund and $3 of such fee shall be deposited in the Firearm Owner's Notification Fund. Monies in the Firearm Owner's Notification Fund shall be used exclusively to pay for the cost of sending notices of expiration of Firearm Owner's Identification Cards under Section 13.2 of this Act. Excess monies in the Firearm Owner's Notification Fund shall be used to ensure the prompt and efficient processing of applications received under Section 4 of this Act.
(Source: P.A. 95-581, eff. 6-1-08; 96-91, eff. 7-27-09.)

I think I'd call up and remind them they are in violation of IL if they are not processing the applications in 30 days from receipt. I've seen some forums where calling them, citing the statute gets your application processed immediately.

Nothing like reminding the government that they too must follow the law.

Probably wouldn't hurt to call your state representative and get them on the case as well.

Just for reference, I sent mine in on 4/2. We shall see when the check is cashed and how long it takes. At 31 days I will call my state representative.

Wow. So you get the ID then have to wait and renew?

In NJ, once the main ID is acquired, no wait for long guns - buy as many as you like, and the ID never expires.

We do have to buy handgun permits on a per gun basis, max 5 at a time, but it is done at the local level (ours is really quick), and once you have them, good to go. Nothing to redo or renew for them.

Our system stinks but seems better than IL!

Originally Posted By: javacontour
FOID check cashed 4/8, so someone there is no delay in the check cashing side of the franchise.

Nope. This state will cash the check first, then worry about what they were paid to do later.

My wife's was mailed in January, check cashed in early Feb.

Contacted the 3 times via web inquiry. In April received reply that said it would be received (by her) in 7 - 10 day. May 1st received another email said it would be received in 7-10 days.

May 7th she received it.

Over 4 months......

I'm surprised that a wealthy resident, that has lots of time on their hands, hasn't attempted to sue them (Chicago/Cook county) for violating their 2A rights.

They must be catching up. Mine came Friday or Saturday last week, so only about six weeks from when they cashed the check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back