MERCON V

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 F150,4.2 V6,4R75E,96K miles
I was going to do my 30K pan drain and add my 4qts. of Mercon V. I missed my 90K mile change. I have always used Motorcraft but my nearest Ford dealer is 50 miles away and I can't get a discount. NAPA has Valvoline Mercon V for $4.39 a qt. and the wording states that it is a synthetic fluid. Castrol Mercon V at AAP is $4.99 a qt but it does not state if it is synthetic or semi. So, what's the deal?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Valvoline Mercon V will work just fine.

Thank you MK. I figured it would. The reason I have always used MC was when I lived in FL my friend worked at my local Ford dealer and would get MC at his cost, and sell it to me for that amount, $3.00 a qt.
I did a Google search on Mercon V and the only TRUE synthetics that came up were M1, Amsoil, and RedLine.

I believe valvoline and castrol are the two best choices for non oem mercon v unless you step up to something way more expensive. I have used both of those in my 99 Taurus in both the tranny and power steering myself.

Be careful using Valvoline. If you read their web site, that fluid is now called "ATF for Mercon V Applications" and clearly states that it is not licensed by Ford, so they aren't allowed to call it "Mercon V". I would use SuperTech before I'd use an unlicensed product. In fact, I have ST Mercon V in my DD right now.

In the interest of fairness, Valvoline USED to sell a fully licensed and approved Mercon V, but not anymore. If you don't want to use SuperTech, then Castrol's Mercon V still licensed and is a good product.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Be careful using Valvoline. If you read their web site, that the fluid is now called "ATF for Mercon V Applications" and clearly states that it is not licensed by Ford. I would use SuperTech Mercon V before I'd use an unlicensed product. In fact, I have ST in my DD right now.

In the interest of fairness, Valvoline USED to sell a fully licensed and approved Mercon V, but not anymore. If you don't want to use SuperTech, then Castrol's Mercon V still licensed.

RF, thanx for the heads up tip.
thumbsup2.gif

Valvoline has a habit (my perception of their actions) of recommending their lubes for a wide variety of applications, where they don't often seek the license. This would be one example.

Another would be their Maxlife product, which is recommended for the former Mercon, as well as Mercon V, Mercon LV, Mercon SP. But it carries no such certifications. Here is the PDF
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf
In fact, that is one W-I-D-E list of lube applications, of which it does not carry any licenses for, as far as I can tell.

Here is the Mercon V product from Valvoline:
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/mercon_v.pdf
Now, they clearly state that "This is not a licensed Ford product".
But then just down a bit further they state this:
"Approvals/Performance Levels
MERCON®V
MERCON®
DEXRON®-III
DEXRON®-II
Caterpillar TO-2
Allison C-4
"
Boy oh boy ... Talk about misleading! How can they claim "Approvals" when they acknowledge that this is not Ford licsened? Because they (Valvoline) approve it for those applications. It's not Ford's and GM's approval; it's their own Valvoline approval. Very sneaky, if you ask me ...
Heck - several of those applications are not even licensed any longer by the OEMs!
(Is there any wonder why some folks don't trust corporations and laywers and sales folks, because of their sneaky double-speak guises?)

In no way does the lack of certification license mean a fluid is not a good choice. It's just not a validated choice. What you get when you buy a non-licensed product is a bottle of possibilities. One really needs to consider the market position and reputation of the lube maker; I'd trust Amsoil and Valvoline fluids, even though not licensed, with no hestiation whatseover. But I'd not trust "Bob's discount ATF" or some other sketchy fly-by-night fluid.

With licensed products, there are reasonable minimum threshold assurances that you're very safe with.
When considering unlicensed products, it's Caveot Emptor.

BOF -
That tranny you have is a decent one, and it's not like your 4.2L v-6 is known to be a torque monster that is going to shred the tranny anyway ... If you want a good fluid for a really good price, it's hard to be Walmart's licensed Mercon V.

Last edited:
And Valvoline's old, licensed Mercon V product was fully synthetic. Their new recomended for Mercon V product I believe is semi-synthetic. Castrol's Merc V product is also semi-syn, as is Ford's Merc V.

You can't go wrong with any of the three mentioned above. But if you're looking for full syn on the cheap, Wolf's Head universal ATF is the best I've found. The first attempt they made with it was claimed to be suitable for even CVTs, but they since changed the formula and now the recomendation list is more like MaxLife's list. It is Merc V licensed.

I ordered Motorcraft Mercon V...from O'Reilly's....when I did my ATF changeout a few months ago.

It was cheaper than Ford dealership price. They didn't have it in stock. but ordered it.... and I got it a day or two later.

Just a reminder to order Lubgard RED...and add it to your ATF at... one ounce per quart of ATF.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Valvoline has a habit (my perception of their actions) of recommending their lubes for a wide variety of applications, where they don't often seek the license. This would be one example.

Another would be their Maxlife product, which is recommended for the former Mercon, as well as Mercon V, Mercon LV, Mercon SP. But it carries no such certifications. Here is the PDF
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf
In fact, that is one W-I-D-E list of lube applications, of which it does not carry any licenses for, as far as I can tell.

Here is the Mercon V product from Valvoline:
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/mercon_v.pdf
Now, they clearly state that "This is not a licensed Ford product".
But then just down a bit further they state this:
"Approvals/Performance Levels
MERCON®V
MERCON®
DEXRON®-III
DEXRON®-II
Caterpillar TO-2
Allison C-4
"
Boy oh boy ... Talk about misleading! How can they claim "Approvals" when they acknowledge that this is not Ford licsened? Because they (Valvoline) approve it for those applications. It's not Ford's and GM's approval; it's their own Valvoline approval. Very sneaky, if you ask me ...
Heck - several of those applications are not even licensed any longer by the OEMs!
(Is there any wonder why some folks don't trust corporations and laywers and sales folks, because of their sneaky double-speak guises?)

In no way does the lack of certification license mean a fluid is not a good choice. It's just not a validated choice. What you get when you buy a non-licensed product is a bottle of possibilities. One really needs to consider the market position and reputation of the lube maker; I'd trust Amsoil and Valvoline fluids, even though not licensed, with no hestiation whatseover. But I'd not trust "Bob's discount ATF" or some other sketchy fly-by-night fluid.

With licensed products, there are reasonable minimum threshold assurances that you're very safe with.
When considering unlicensed products, it's Caveot Emptor.

BOF -
That tranny you have is a decent one, and it's not like your 4.2L v-6 is known to be a torque monster that is going to shred the tranny anyway ... If you want a good fluid for a really good price, it's hard to be Walmart's licensed Mercon V.

Nice summary.

I think Amsoil could be the best choice given its longevity claims. Wolfs Head seems interesting given it is full syn and licensed.

Some people do have their suspicions about multi spec ATFs though.

I also like Motorcraft since it is optimized for the application. As I have a doubt about multi spec ATF that's what I use. It is about as cheap as you can get too.

Interestingly, in MC's small print they say their MV is suitable for several other applications also.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Just a reminder to order Lubgard RED...and add it to your ATF at... one ounce per quart of ATF.

Just curious as to why you would recommend using "LubeGard Red?" My philosophy is, if ain't broke don't fix it. I have owned several F150's with the "AOD" type transmission and all I have used was Mercon V, with no problems at all.
smile.gif

Are you asking if they sell the Motorcraft brand, or just their ST branded Ford licensed fluid for Mercon V?

I've not seen the actual Motorcraft branded Mercon V in my local Walmart stores.
M/C brand engine oil? Yes.
M/C brand tranny fluid? No.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Are you asking if they sell the Motorcraft brand, or just their ST branded Ford licensed fluid for Mercon V?

I've not seen the actual Motorcraft branded Mercon V in my local Walmart stores.
M/C brand engine oil? Yes.
M/C brand tranny fluid? No.

According to JA his WM sells Motorcraft Mercon V trans fluid. I have never seen it any WM I have shopped at. It must be at certain WM's.
21.gif

Well, I gave you guys a bum steer. Sorry. After reading these responses, I was in WM yesterday and checked... no MC Merc V. I KNOW I bought some in the past there, still have one bottle, but it may have been more than three years ago. Shooting from the hip often gets oneself shot in the foot, eh?

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Well, I gave you guys a bum steer. Sorry. After reading these responses, I was in WM yesterday and checked... no MC Merc V. I KNOW I bought some in the past there, still have one bottle, but it may have been more than three years ago. Shooting from the hip often gets oneself shot in the foot, eh?

JA, I wouldn't beat myself up that much. Believe me, I have seen items at WM's all over the US that cannot be explained!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I have seen items at WM's all over the US that cannot be explained!
I hear that...check out peopleofwalmart.com
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I have seen items at WM's all over the US that cannot be explained!
I hear that...check out peopleofwalmart.com
shocked2.gif

RFO, I have and posted a video on this website. I was also given a 3 day vacation for doing so.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back