MMO for Saab 9-3 Turbo - Cold Start Whine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Try the mmo. It's cheap. Add it a couple hundred miles before you plan on changing the oil and if it helps then great,if not,keep looking but for what it costs to try why not give it a shot.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to give demarpaint's suggestion w/the serpentine belt a shot, and if the noise is still there w/the belt off I will try the MMO. Would you do a quart or just a pint? The oil capacity is 4L.

Since you just had the belt replaced, I suggest that your noise is coming from the belt having become loose. When a belt is brand new it will stretch out a little during the first few miles of use and need a readjustment/tightening. When cold, it will squeal like crazy for the first 10-20 seconds before it heats-up and grabs. I have had this happen to me many times over the years. The mechanic who replaced it should have known this.

Maybe related. I had a '93 Corolla that would have what sounded like belt squeal for short time after start up but only when cold. So on a cold day before starting I took off all three belts, started car and no noise. Checked all pulleys for noise/wobble/grind feel etc. nothing. Put the belts back one at a time and started in between, nothing. Tightened all accordingly and no noise 3 days later my timing belt tensioner pulley totally seized and burnt up my timing belt at the same time. I shut it down before any motor damage happened.

Are there other pulleys gears that you can't check as easy?

Originally Posted By: V8man
Originally Posted By: morris
do put it in the gas.

What does MMO do when you put it in the gas?

Works like an upper cylinder lube. It also seems to keep sending units accurate. I've just started using it in my fuel. I've been using tc-w3 for years with good results as well.

Originally Posted By: wag123
Since you just had the belt replaced, I suggest that your noise is coming from the belt having become loose. When a belt is brand new it will stretch out a little during the first few miles of use and need a readjustment/tightening. When cold, it will squeal like crazy for the first 10-20 seconds before it heats-up and grabs. I have had this happen to me many times over the years. The mechanic who replaced it should have known this.

What models have a serpentine belt that can actually be tightened. Every vehicle with a serpentine belt that I have seen have an auto tensioner,and its not user adjustable.
I know before serpentine belts that old school v-belts would stretch slightly while in service however the past few generations of motors don't use such belts.

What models have a serpentine belt that can actually be tightened. Every vehicle with a serpentine belt that I have seen have an auto tensioner,and its not user adjustable.
I know before serpentine belts that old school v-belts would stretch slightly while in service however the past few generations of motors don't use such belts.

I have 2 Toyotas. They both have the wide multi-ribbed serpentine belts, they both require manual tightening at the alternator, and they both have required re-tightening a short time after replacement (and from time to time as the belt wears). I also had a Nissan that had the same setup. I would much prefer having a spring loaded tensioner because the manual belt tightening business is a PIA and over-tightening the belt can cause bearing failures.

Last edited:

I have 2 Toyotas. They both have the wide multi-ribbed serpentine belts, they both require manual tightening at the alternator, and they both have required re-tightening a short time after replacement (and from time to time as the belt wears). I also had a Nissan that had the same setup. I would much prefer having a spring loaded tensioner because the manual belt tightening business is a PIA and over-tightening the belt can cause bearing failures.

Thank you. I love this site. I learn something new every day.
K. Got er. Thanks for the tidbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back