Windshield Replacement OEM vs aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Camry Hybrid specifies an acoustic windshield, so you need to get a PGW Soundmaster or an another aftermarket windshield that has the same properties. Otherwise, it will result in a significant increase in road noise.

It isn't unusual on Toyota's (most Japanese cars in fact) for OEM glass to be the same or less than NAGS even after the deep discounts off NAGS glass shops do.

Safelite glass is generally horrible and overpriced.

In 2008 I had a new windshield put in a 2003 Taurus wagon I had. I went to a local area chain of auto glass shops. I went to one about 20 miles away since they were able to do it the next day, where as the local ones said two weeks.

It was right after a major hail storm so every glass shop locally was backlogged for weeks.

I had state farm at the time and they had so many claims, they set up a big church parking lot, complete with free bottles of water, several portapotties and had people driving through in set up lanes with many adjustors so they could deal with inspecting the cars and cutting the checks. They had people come in different days based on their the first letter of their last name or some such thing like that.

They gave me a check within 15-30 minutes of the inspection.

Anyhow.... the glass shop did a great job and the windshield is still good. My mom bought the car off me later that year so I know it's condition.

The other hail damage to the car was so minor you can't see it unless you really look hard to find it. The hail put a chip in the windshield (and it already had another big one). Ironically.. the one the hail caused, the adjustor said couldn't have been caused by hail. The existing one (which i didn't mention) was caused by hail they said. The chip caused by the hail caused a large circle crack. So they paid for a new windshield plus for the other hail damage (very minor tiny dents to the roof) which I didn't bother fixing.

For whatever reason, the Safelight replacement glass in my older (1998) F150 is very noisy in the rain.

Otherwise, the glass is just fine. Clear, clean and fits properly. It's got a few miles under it's belt now, and the Safelight glass does not seem to chip any more easily than the OEM glass did.

Of course, I did not notice a problem until it rained. By that time, I was unwilling to deal with it.

Absolutely go with OE windshield replacement. Insurance replaced the windshield in the Audi with PPG glass, and from the driver's side I can see all of the waves and ripples on the passenger's side and the same thing from the passenger's side out of the glass on the driver's side. Had I known that my local dealer would have supplied the OE glass at a lower cost, I would have gone with them even though I wasn't paying for it.

Now, I just hope and pray that another dump truck drops a softball on the windshield again so I can get it fixed properly.

For replacement glass, I prefer PGW (previously named PPG) or Pilkington. Otherwise factory OEM glass if it's reasonably priced. Just had the glass replaced on the IS250; factory Lexus glass is about $800 for just the glass. The PGW replacement it got is great with no distortions and good fit and got a deal for $220 installed (installer brought out the incorrect glass the first two times); spent an additional $100 at Sewell Lexus parts for new moldings (the rubber deterioration is a known problem on the IS250/350) and new one-time use clips (otherwise the cruddy old ones would have been glued in and that looks terrible). I could see how distortions could happen on any glass factory or not, so if possible I'd inspect the windshield before it is installed.

Last edited:
aftermarket glass in my experience develops lots of micro-pits on the surface much more rapidly than oem glass, after driving lots of miles. shows up under harsh sun.

Originally Posted By: meep
aftermarket glass in my experience develops lots of micro-pits on the surface much more rapidly than oem glass, after driving lots of miles. shows up under harsh sun.

Absolutely the same opinion here. OEM preferred, I won't use much else.

After calling every windshield place in the phone book,I ended up with a Pilkington. I'm happy with the choice for now. We'll see how it plays out down the road.

An OEM windshield was ridiculously expensive.

Had mine replaced early last year. Very next day, busted by a rock while I was going down a highway. Had to get it replaced again. Few days later, another rock but the damage is only about the size of a quarter which hasn't leaked or gotten any bigger....yet
I'm afraid to replace it now because my vehicle seems to prefer a damaged windshield and I can live with a quarter size crater.

Safelite makes most of their own windshields but they're thin and brittle. And some of their techs are hackjobs.

I'd look at a local shop and see if they can get you a PPG/PGW or Pilkington windshield. Check the DOT codes though, PPG/PGW is sourcing Chinese glass in some applications - if it's DOT18(old PPG)/DOT129(Viracon)/DOT904 it's US-made. FYG would be the only Chinese glass I would willingly use since they now supply GM/Hyundai-Kia/Daimler on an OEM basis.

Last edited:
My truck has had a PGW for 3 years now. No complaints from me. It appears to be comparable to OE in quality and has held up to a couple rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back