Michelin on Megafactories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great video, watched the whole thing. Particularly found the noise testing and contact patch segments interesting.

Last edited:
They didn't mention it, but I think it was the Pilot Super Sport that they were testing.

It's amazing how much goes into making a tire. And to make it so that it's perfectly round at the end is nearly an art (but mostly science
smile.gif
). Michelin is really good at that.

Thanks this was great! I love that Michelins come from the factory without any tire hairs

I found that a couple weeks ago and watched it. While it was very neat and interesting, I felt it left a lot to be desired.

I really like Michelins products and use their tires on our Ag, Earthmoving and Large truck equipment. The only thing I don't care for are their pickup tires. They wear great, just dont have enough traction.

The video was really only 20-30 minutes of actual tech IMO.

As boring as the guys monotone voice is on How its Made, I realized why that show is the way it is. All business, no show.

The Michelin show spent so much time showing a Porsche driving around and the guy assembling tires in fast motion as intermissions, that it really took away from the tech. We already saw the Porsche doing its test runs and we already saw the guy build the tire, why keep bashing it into our heads, move on. They left a lot of open ends as well. They never showed the finished tire, didn't get into many other sectors either. Michelin is well known for auto tires, but their earthmoving and Ag tires are much more interesting and very respected.

Maybe I didnt care for the way they tried to jazz it up I guess, I think it was interesting, but being more of a junky on these types of things I wanted more meat and less filler.

I then watched a video about a 2 star chef trying to be a 3 star chef in Michelins books. That was insanity.

As they mentioned at the beginning of the video, tire business has a lot of trade secrets in it. So that pretty much set the tone for the rest of the piece - you know they weren't going to show any real "meat" there and reveal anything that Michelin may consider their competitive advantage.

Just an FYI:

What they showed of making a tire was hand built prototype level stuff - not the highly mechanized stuff used in normal manufacturing.

It was clear there were trying to hide the stuff they think is secret. What they taped didn't tell me - someone very familiar with tires - with any hint of how they actually do it.

Did you guys notice the braking distance comparison (around 35th minute of the video) of a car with different tire pressures (overinflated)? Yet another reason to stick close to car MFG air pressure recommendations rather than overinflate near the tire's max in an effort to gain a little bit of fuel economy.

I'm interested in the water-channeling tires on trucks, and if that technology can be applied to passenger car and light truck tires as well.

I wasn't expecting a full on tech briefing, or revelation of trade secrets.

I found the things already mentioned interesting such as:

• Increased braking distance at higher inflation.
  • Control of tire spray from truck tires.
  • Noise test.
  • Rolling test.

In addition the mention that:

• Bugatti tires are LESS hand built than "regular" tires.

I think it would be pretty cool to have a job lapping somebody else's Porsche on free tires - even if it was a Panamera - at least for a while.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Did you guys notice the braking distance comparison (around 35th minute of the video) of a car with different tire pressures (overinflated)? Yet another reason to stick close to car MFG air pressure recommendations rather than overinflate near the tire's max in an effort to gain a little bit of fuel economy.

Overinflated tire reduces contact patch therefore increases the braking distance.

But some manufactures, MB as one example, recommend higher pressure, as much as 10 PSI above normal, for speed above 100 MPH.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'm interested in the water-channeling tires on trucks, and if that technology can be applied to passenger car and light truck tires as well.

Yes, it can.

This is all about the compromise. Obviously a truck tire using 100 psi (or so) would have a different set of compromises than a passenger car tire at 35 psi (or so) does, but the principles are the same.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
.........I think it would be pretty cool to have a job lapping somebody else's Porsche on free tires - even if it was a Panamera - at least for a while......

It sounds cool, but it's work. Evaluating set after set gets tedious pretty quickly. Plus, a ride evaluator has to be trained and has to be consistent and repeatable. His evaluations have to line line up with others. There's nothing worse than having a set of ride evaluations come back that make no sense.

That was one thing that I was thinking during the program is that the testers really have to try to be very consistent and even then I bet there are some high and low anomalies.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Just an FYI:

What they showed of making a tire was hand built prototype level stuff - not the highly mechanized stuff used in normal manufacturing.

It was clear there were trying to hide the stuff they think is secret. What they taped didn't tell me - someone very familiar with tires - with any hint of how they actually do it.

That was what got me thinking right away. I have been in tires before but never really got into figuring out how they made all of them. The few programs I saw here or there were vague as well. I saw that guy building a tire and said to myself "if they all get built at that rate, I can see the price", but I figured there had to be more. That guy was in his own little area with nothing around. Seemed laid out oddly for a production setting.

I guess if you think about it, the program was not about tires, it was showcasing Michelin. If it was intended to show how a tire is made then I would expect more, but it did what it was supposed to.

I still feel I have no idea of how a tire is actually put together start to finish and why everything works the way it does. It's been bothering me now since I watched that video.

Michelin seems to be on the cutting edge for a lot of things. Not all of them work, but they are not afraid of innovation. Their IF/VF tires for Ag have changed the industry.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Yes, it can.

This is all about the compromise. Obviously a truck tire using 100 psi (or so) would have a different set of compromises than a passenger car tire at 35 psi (or so) does, but the principles are the same.

Compromise is always there unfortuneatly. You can go for low spray and a fuel efficient tire, but suffer off road traction. Go for off-road traction and you generally get some bad spray. The tires below are Michelin X-Works XDY's that I put on one of our trucks. In the rain they shoot water worse than any tire I've seen but I think a lot of it has to do with the cupped tread. Maybe. I notice it launches a lot of water straight over across the lane and not as much in a big "bubble". Just put them on in November. Lots of mud forming around here now, can't wait to finally test the mud traction.

20121106_132112.jpg

Wow. HydroEdges for big trucks! LOL Interesting the directionality in the tread...I've never seen (or at least noticed) that on big tires before. Thanks for the pictures.

Originally Posted By: durallymax
........I still feel I have no idea of how a tire is actually put together start to finish and why everything works the way it does. It's been bothering me now since I watched that video.........

If you watch the video, you'll have a good idea of how tires are put together. It's just that the video is very much hands on. There is a lot more automation in a factory. Literally, they put a barrier in front of the tire builder and he only gets to touch the tire when it is absolutely necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back