I used auto-rx for 1,500 miles ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprintman
I have yet to find an oil that cleans well, and I've used more than most.

There is documentation on this board that Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 have done some serious cleaning.

but RX cleaned that engine up significantly.

I have not seen any documentation on this board that auto-rx cleaned up an engine significantly, meaning I have not seen any before and after pictures of auto-rx doing any cleaning. I have seen before and after pics from auto-rx users that showed the product did nothing, meaning the before and after pictures looked the same.
frown.gif

I didn't think you were trying to argue with me KeMBro2012. But I have become used to the silly personal attacks people resort to here when they have no valid counter arguments to what somebody says. So I figured I better put that in. I consider using motor oils that are certified for use in an engine and backed by engine sequence testing as demonstrating cleaning ability to be a valid other route to trying to get an engine clean. MMO could be added and it is cheap and readily available.

I think what I have said is a valid alternative route to trying to get an engine cleaned instead of using an expensive engine cleaner. So we can all now see what happens-will there is personal attacks on me? If there are I have to assume the people on the other side have no valid counter arguments to what I say if they have to attack me personally.

Originally Posted By: V8man

There is documentation on this board that Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 have done some serious cleaning.

I have not seen any documentation on this board that auto-rx cleaned up an engine significantly, meaning I have not seen any before and after pictures of auto-rx doing any cleaning. I have seen before and after pics from auto-rx users that showed the product did nothing, meaning the before and after pictures looked the same.
frown.gif

I'm not interested in 'looks'. Compression tests, fuel economy, and noise reduction do it for me, as it has for 12-15 years of use.

I'm not interested in 'looks'. Compression tests, fuel economy, and noise reduction do it for me, as it has for 12-15 years of use.

If thats the only criteria there are a lot of products can do that in much less time, don't need a "rinse phase" and cost less than half.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I didn't think you were trying to argue with me KeMBro2012. But I have become used to the silly personal attacks people resort to here when they have no valid counter arguments to what somebody says. So I figured I better put that in. I consider using motor oils that are certified for use in an engine and backed by engine sequence testing as demonstrating cleaning ability to be a valid other route to trying to get an engine clean. MMO could be added and it is cheap and readily available.

I think what I have said is a valid alternative route to trying to get an engine cleaned instead of using an expensive engine cleaner. So we can all now see what happens-will there is personal attacks on me? If there are I have to assume the people on the other side have no valid counter arguments to what I say if they have to attack me personally.

Fully agree, good oil and cheap-enough-it-doesnt-matter-if-it-works-or-not MMO have served me well for as long as I can remember.

I'm also doing some experimentation with canola as a way to add esters for cleaning and enhanced lubricity without upsetting the carefully-formulated balance of additives in a well-crafted oil (as MMO, ARX, or really any other additive will do), but it's way to early in the experiment (500 miles or so) for any conclusive results. I will say that things appear to be going well, but I've got a small leak to take care of before I can determine whether or not my Corolla's oil burning has stopped. Fuel mileage has increased with every tank since I added the canola and my rough idle is completely gone; I intend to do another compression test around 3k when I pull a sample to send in to Blackstone. I'm currently just using it as a top-off (added 8oz at 160 miles [6.25%], another 8oz at 560 miles [12.5%]) but plan to run it 25% for my next OCI. If that goes well, I'll take before pics of my wife's Civic, run it at 25% with Rotella T6 (same oil I'm testing with in my Corolla) for 5k, then take some after pics. I spoiled the Corolla for before/after pics by cleaning it up with PU+MMO before starting this experiment.

Originally Posted By: Trav

If thats the only criteria there are a lot of products can do that in much less time, don't need a "rinse phase" and cost less than half.

Disagree and I've tried most over 40 years. I'll stick to tried and tested and the $1,000+I've spent on Rx over the years has been money well spent. The people who buy my vehicles think so too.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Indeed there are. Some examples:
MMO
PP
PU
M1HM

The list goes on, honestly.

frown.gif

Are there any threads here that show auto-rx increasing compression or improving fuel economy?

O

I have not seen any documentation on this board that auto-rx cleaned up an engine significantly, meaning I have not seen any before and after pictures of auto-rx doing any cleaning. I have seen before and after pics from auto-rox users that showed the product did nothing, meaning the before and after pictures looked the same.
frown.gif

Are there any threads here that show auto-rx increasing compression or improving fuel economy?

Plenty from way back but I haven't been here for years so you'll have to use Search function

Plenty from way back but I haven't been here in years so you'll have to use search function

I will take a look and let you know what I find.
cheers3.gif

frown.gif

None that I have seen however dnewton stated that it restored compression in an engine he used the stuff in. I trust his opinion and haven't known him to stretch the truth or make stuff up.
However trav who's opinion I also hold in high regard tried it many times and experienced no real improvements so personally I'm torn on the product. 2 posters I hold in high regard have 2 completely opposite experiences using it so until I see something absolute I'm just going to stick with the tried and true cleaning additives that I can find cheap and local,like seafoam and now mmo now that Walmart here is carrying it.
If you do decide to try it please post your experiences. I'm interested in your opinion.

Plenty from way back but I haven't been here in years so you'll have to use search function

cheers3.gif

I posted a few years back about a $5 qt. of MMO restoring compression in 250 I-6 Chevy engine used in a boat we had. It did some nice cleaning and silenced a fair share of ticking lifters over the years for us. There are a few products mentioned all the time here that can do it, none that I know of that can do it as cheaply as MMO, and that have been around as long.

Pick your poison after you do your reading and let us know what you'd use after you do the search. It seems this topic is of interest to you and if you have an engine that needs some cleaning I suggest you read up on it here. Let me know what you think.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

cheers3.gif

I posted a few years back about a $5 qt. of MMO restoring compression in 250 I-6 Chevy engine used in a boat we had. It did some nice cleaning and silenced a fair share of ticking lifters over the years for us. There are a few products mentioned all the time here that can do it, none that I know of that can do it as cheaply as MMO, and that have been around as long.

Pick your poison after you do your reading and let us know what you'd use after you do the search. It seems this topic is of interest to you and if you have an engine that needs some cleaning I suggest you read up on it here. Let me know what you think.

Point me to one other than Rx that will rejuvenate seals such the VANOS seals in my E46 BMW or Pajero/Montero 3.5? No M1, PP had any effect. But again, I never use Rx according to instructions, I saw just enough about 12-14 years back to know its potential.

cheers3.gif

Point me to one other than Rx that will rejuvenate seals such the VANOS seals in my E46 BMW or Pajero/Montero 3.5? No M1, PP had any effect. But again, I never use Rx according to instructions, I saw just enough about 12-14 years back to know its potential.

I don't know much about BMW's so I can't suggest anything for the Vanos problem. How about a HM oil, or Lubro-Moly motor oil saver?

I read your A-rx use reply, and how you ignore directions. If I read it right you use 2-3 bottles for 3 oil changes? That could be 6-9 bottles, or there about?

Works very well if you ignore the instructions, as I have for approx 12 years.
Rx Plus is available and stronger although early days for testing. I allocate 6 bottles per acquired vehicle and follow my own regime FWIW.

2-3 bottles depending on sump size, non ester oil, new filter, and drive it for up to 10,000 kms/7,500 miles or until the HLA noise tells you it's time to change the oil/filter. I do that three times. If the engine runs cold fix it. I Cheap, safe, and works for me.

That would cost a fortune. Even three bottles for one dose is a lot of $$. Glad it works for you, I found cheaper alternatives, and my success with one product in particular dates back to the 1970's.

Maybe the new stuff will work better than the old and increase the satisfied customer base. Do you think they'll take the 2 bottles of the old formula I found cleaning up my basement last week for a swap? Or am I stuck with it? I'll post results. My neighbors V8 Jeep is ticking and leaking. typical of a neglected vehicle with about 150K miles on it. It would be the perfect test mule for the new stuff.

sprintman said:

cheers3.gif

I don't know much about BMW's so I can't suggest anything for the Vanos problem. How about a HM oil, or Lubro-Moly motor oil saver?

I read your A-rx use reply, and how hjyou ignore directions. If I read it right you use 2-3 bottles for 3 oil changes? That could be 6-9 bottles, or there about?

Works very well if you ignore the instructions, as I have for approx 12 years.
Rx Plus is available and stronger although early days for testing. I allocate 6 bottles per acquired vehicle and follow my own regime FWIW.

2-3 bottles depending on sump size, non ester oil, new filter, and drive it for up to 10,000 kms/7,500 miles or until the HLA noise tells you it's time to change the oil/filter. I do that three times. If the engine runs cold fix it. I Cheap, safe, and works for me.

That would cost a fortune. Even three bottles for one dose is a lot of $$. Glad it works for you, I found cheaper alternatives, and my success with one product in particular dates back to the 1970's.

Maybe the new stuff will work better than the old and increase the satisfied customer base. Do you think they'll take the 2 bottles of the old formula I found cleaning up my basement last week for a swap? Or am I stuck with it? I'll post results. My neighbors V8 Jeep is ticking and leaking. typical of a neglected vehicle with about 150K miles on it. It would be the perfect test mule for the new stuff.

Americans are obsessed with cheap. We want the best, totally different mentality. Use the two bottles in ester free mineral oil with a new filter and run it hard for say 5,000 miles or more, or until the HLA noise tells you it's change time (trust me you'll know).

Americans are obsessed with cheap. We want the best, totally different mentality. Use the two bottles in ester free mineral oil with a new filter and run it hard for say 5,000 miles or more, or until the HLA noise tells you it's change time (trust me you'll know).

Not this American, I want the best too, and something that actually works. I learned that expensive doesn't always mean better, this is one perfect example. There are a few "cheap" products that actually deliver.

Not this American, I want the best too, and something that actually works. I learned that expensive doesn't always mean better, this is one perfect example. There are a few "cheap" products that actually deliver.

Rx has worked brilliantly for me for over 12 years, almost certainly because I didn't follow instructions. Many others have had similar results. I guess we'll agree to disagree

Rx has worked brilliantly for me for over 12 years, almost certainly because I didn't follow instructions. Many others have had similar results. I guess we'll agree to disagree

Nothing wrong with thinking out of the box. Maybe a revision to the directions is in order then. I followed the directions, oh well. OTOH I definitely wouldn't have tried it at about $75 a dose x 2 or 3 doses to get results the way you did. I don't have that kind of money to experiment with.

You're right, we can agree to disagree!

Oh here we go with drive it like you stole it with this stuff in the sump tripe.
The only thing you get doing it your way is a possibly broken engine.

Funny you coming back after being banned for years just in time for the new ARX plus push and your first post is in support of this new and improved stuff.

As far as this stiff fixing Vanos seals goes it cant, plain and simple. Still you insist on perpetrating this falsehood.
BMW made a mistake with the seal material, they used Nitrile instead of Viton, Kalrez, Fluorosint or another better suited material. You cant fix broke.
Any oil with ester will do the same as ARX but the effect is only temporary.

Nothing wrong with thinking out of the box. Maybe a revision to the directions is in order then. I followed the directions, oh well. OTOH I definitely wouldn't have tried it at about $75 a dose x 2 or 3 doses to get results, the way you did. I don't have that kind of money to experiment with.

You're right, we can agree to disagree!

Didn't cost anywhere near that, nuch Cheaper by the case. The savings in replacing seals alone more than covered the cost anyway, so I'm miles ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back