Best way to clean the throttle body?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my Cobalt to the dealership for what I thought might e warranty work. Turns out that my fuel pump is fine, but they wanted to replace the throttle body. I'm like...
confused.gif

Somehow, I just can't see replacing the TB. After thinking it for a while, the TB has not had a real good cleaning in a while. (I d use some FI cleaner once in a while).

So this begs me to ask the question-what would be the best way give the throttle body a good cleaning?

If it is a dbw throttle body, I would consult the factory service manual first. Many of DBW throttle bodies are very delicate and are easily damaged. In addition, on some of them, performing the idle air volume relearn can be extremely difficult.

edit: looks like you do have an electronic throttle body. Cleaning it may leave you with an inoperable car if you are unable to perform the idle speed relearn. I would just proceed with replacement as the dealer suggested:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1433735,parttype,6472

Last edited:
Remove it and spray it out with throttle body cleaner. Use a soft toothbrush on any stubborn spots. This worked for me, but I just did it as PM, not due to a problem.

What did they say is wrong with the TB though? If it's an electronic issue, cleaning it won't help. Does your car use a cable or drive by wire?

Last edited:
Some people like to take them off to clean, but I would just clean it in place. The idea is to just get any of the build up cleaned off around perimeter of the throttle where it is a small aperture when closed. Throttle body cleaner and a lint free cloth or paper towels should do it.

I just recently cleaned mine on my 2010 Chrylser 300 which is electronically controlled throttle body. If this is what yours is, have another person turn you car in the on position and push the gas peddle to open up the plate so you can clean it good, don't force it open.

FWIW, I just checked the throttle body on my 2011 Prius last weekend. The car has 59,000 miles and the throttle body plate was shiny-clean. So, the throttle body may not require cleaning.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
FWIW, I just checked the throttle body on my 2011 Prius last weekend. The car has 59,000 miles and the throttle body plate was shiny-clean. So, the throttle body may not require cleaning.

I'm going to have to bust it open (not literally) and check it out myself. Yours is just a few years old, and I'm thinking you give it pretty good gas....
smile.gif

This previous owner of this car (my brother) puts the whatever gas he found (often the cheapest), so it could be a bit clogged...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I'm going to have to bust it open (not literally) and check it out myself. Yours is just a few years old, and I'm thinking you give it pretty good gas....
smile.gif

This previous owner of this car (my brother) puts the whatever gas he found (often the cheapest), so it could be a bit clogged...

How does fuel quality affect throttle plate deposits?

I would estimate that 60% of the fuel I purchase is from Costco, Arco/BP or Valero. I do run a bottle of Gumout Regane or Techron every 5-6k though.

Check out the RockAuto link Critic posted. ACDelco closeout for $82. I'd roll with that. You buy a bottle of fuel system cleaner (Techron my fav) you're already half-way there...

But yes clean with it on there if possible: Take intake off and reach in with a paper towel pulling junk out. My Passat is a pain to get your hand down the back side of the engine. A wad of paper towel duct taped to the end of a pliers is needed to reach far enough behind the flap; but still faster and less accident prone of removing it and everything attached.

How would a bottle of FI cleaner do anything when the injectors are post throttle body?

Easiest way would be to pull it off the intake and spray TB cleaner around the perimiter of the butterfly and let it soak into any carbon, then use a gentle blast of compressed air to remove. Of course, install with a new gasket.

Originally Posted By: Topo
I just recently cleaned mine on my 2010 Chrylser 300 which is electronically controlled throttle body. If this is what yours is, have another person turn you car in the on position and push the gas peddle to open up the plate so you can clean it good, don't force it open.

I didn't know that that would work to open the plate. I assumed that it would only open when the engine was running. I'll have to try that on my Audi.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
How would a bottle of FI cleaner do anything when the injectors are post throttle body?

Easiest way would be to pull it off the intake and spray TB cleaner around the perimiter of the butterfly and let it soak into any carbon, then use a gentle blast of compressed air to remove. Of course, install with a new gasket.

I know that, but I was adding it for more info...

didn't think about the new gasket part..
smile.gif

Are you sure you checked the inside of the plate?

If the car has some sort of breather valve and EGR that go through the intake, the inside of the plate will not be shiny. If not, then it probably is clean.

Originally Posted By: Topo

This is exactly how it is to be done. This procedure is listed on 3M website (ref 3M DIY Tune-up Kit)

Note that on my SRT8 6.1 which has exactly the same TB as a 300C 5.7 you can move the throttle plate by hand just as long as the car is off.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Are you sure you checked the inside of the plate?

If the car has some sort of breather valve and EGR that go through the intake, the inside of the plate will not be shiny. If not, then it probably is clean.

I checked both sides of the throttle plate and it was absolutely spotless. The intake Tract looked pretty clean as well - just a small pool of oil.

I took no special precautions when cleaning the DBW throttle on my dad's Pontiac G6.

I never had a problem and this was 10,000 miles ago.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Note that on my SRT8 6.1 which has exactly the same TB as a 300C 5.7 you can move the throttle plate by hand just as long as the car is off.

Yeah I think this is the case with others too like the Cobalt. that way you don't need a helper and the elctrical isn't hot while you are spraying cleaner in the throttle body. I don't think it would hurt but I'd rather just let the cleaner evaporate before turning on the key.

I also think low additive gas can eventually lead to more throttle body deposits. There's some gas vapor and reversion going on in the vacuum behind the throttle even in a multi-point injected engine. The deposits is not jsut all oil from PCV or EGR.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

I know that, but I was adding it for more info...

didn't think about the new gasket part..
smile.gif

These days the gasket is usually a reusable o-ring that sits in a groove, which is why I like to remove the TB. It allows inspection/cleaning of the o-ring and easier access to the back of the throttle plate, plus you don't end up with junk getting into the intake manifold. In my application it's easy though, others may not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back