OCI Recommendation - 2005 Mazda Tribute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a long time lurker and now I’ve signed up to make my first post…

So, I’ve been using Kendall synthetic blend and Firestone’s filter for the last 50K. I have the oil changed about every 5Kmi.

Well, I just hit 100K and decided, “Why on earth aren’t I changing my own oil?” So, I went to the auto parts story and picked up a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 synthetic (5W-20) and a Mobil 1 EP filter. (I also collected a sample to send off to Blackstone for an analysis). In the mean time, my thought is a 7,500mi OCI, but really want to push to 10Kmi OCI. What are your thoughts?

1. What kind of vehicle you have – 2005 Mazda Tribute i (4 cyl)
2. What your owner's manual says – Mazda recommends 7,500mi OCI (SAE 5W-20)
3. Where you live – San Antonio, Texas
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) - Fast
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) – 15 mil (HWY to from work) – 12Kmi per year
6. Whether your car has any known problems – Never had ANY problems (engine makes a slight tapping sound that goes away 20% of the time for no reason)

Also, what do you recommend as tightening “procedures” for the filter? Cranked that darn thing as tight as I could with my hands and it’s still leaking…not real badly, but enough. Filter cap-style wrench and ¼ turn?

Unless you do UOA, monitor results and move gradually to 10,000, stick with the 7,500 miles OCI.
I like to hand tighten my filters, with one hand, then 1/4 turn more with cap wrench. You will hear opinions all over the map on this one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
Unless you do UOA, monitor results and move gradually to 10,000, stick with the 7,500 miles OCI.
I like to hand tighten my filters, with one hand, then 1/4 turn more with cap wrench. You will hear opinions all over the map on this one.

What if the "hand" isn't strong enough (apparently I'm weak. LOL)

If you really want to go 10K, it should get you there. For peace of mind, pick a number (7500, 8000, 9000) and get another UOA and go from there. It is always easier to work your way up with some data to help show you it's ok.

As for the filter, if it's put on that tight it should not be leaking. Most filters have a recommended tightening procedure, usually like 3/4 to 1 turn after the gasket makes contact. I have never had a filter leak following the manufactures instructions. Double check to make sure you have the correct filter on there, Fram's website has good cross reference information, if it persists I would replace it.

Take the filter off and make sure that the old gasket isn't still on the filter housing ... or that there isn't residue / left over rubber from the old gasket.

I have zero hand strength and I'm able to hand tighten the filter enough on both of my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
7,500 miles or 9 months, then take a sample. If sample comes back good at that mileage, continue further!

That's probably what I'll do.

Well, for the 1st time in 40 years, I forgot to wipe the area where the filter goes...yup, threaded a new filter to an old gasket! Kicking myself, but at least it was nothing major...just pride.

Question, how much oil will I lose if I just change the filter? Never done a filter swap w/o complete oil change.

Originally Posted By: alaskanseminole
Question, how much oil will I lose if I just change the filter? Never done a filter swap w/o complete oil change.

1/2 quart at most, I'd wager. You could likely re-use that same filter with no worries, if it is a matter of cleaning the seating area or old gasket off.
Some people will pull, drain, and re-use a "long-distance" oil filter for two OCIs.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: alaskanseminole

1/2 quart at most, I'd wager. You could likely re-use that same filter with no worries, if it is a matter of cleaning the seating area or old gasket off.
Some people will pull, drain, and re-use a "long-distance" oil filter for two OCIs.

Thanks! The old gasket has already come off, so I'm assuming it still leaking due to residue. I plan on dropping the filter, cleaning the area and putting it back on after work. I have exactly 1/2 qt of oil left too.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back