Worth replacing valve cover gasket @ 150k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another little thing you might want to tackle at the same time is checking/replacing the oil control valve filter (Toyo part #15678-21010, ~$12). It's not related to the issues you mention, but if your hands are going be dirty anyhow...

If interested, here are DIY links to Corolla Land and Gen Vibe (same engine):

Corolla Land: Cleaning OCVF

Gen Vibe OVCF Replacement

Good luck!

M_C

Forgot to update! Maybe someone is still interested after all these months
laugh.gif

oL78kaM.jpg

W0iHJTH.jpg

y86BDD1.jpg

I checked under one of the spark plugs and saw a little oil, so I went through with pulling the valve cover. The cover itself had some nasty, flaky, black gunk under the passenger side, which came off with some scraping and degreaser. The varnish on the rest of the cover wouldn't budge but I'm not sweating it. Installed a new Fel-pro gasket, and sealed it back up.

peh8Tx4.jpg

The PCV valve was... a mess. I'm guessing it's never been replaced
smirk.gif
stuck a new Denso valve on. You guys were right, it wasn't too hard and was only about 2.5 hours (counting 20 minutes lost looking for a missing screw (whoops).

I ran a 3000mi OCI w/ PU, oversize filter and MMO for the last 500 when the level dropped, and put in on-sale QS Defy for now. And then my job site changed, so I went from driving 150mi highway/week to only using it on weekends / errand runs. Oy -- this engine can't catch a break! I'm hoping this will mitigate some of the oil loss, but for a ~160K 1zz-fe, the consumption isn't too bad. I've thought about Kreen (I'd like the car to make it to 250+), but as my name says, I'm also lazy
cool.gif
Thank you to everyone who posted here for the advise and encouragement!

(apologies if resurrecting ancient threads is frowned on)

I had a gunked up PCV valve too on a newly purchased 05 Camry with 100k miles...cleaned it and reinserted it until the next OC when I intended to replace it...

At the next 3k OC the valve was getting oily so it was a good thing I planned to replace it...I also replaced the PCV hose whose ends were brittle hard and cracking....

I pulled the valve cover and inspection revealed golden varnish at the top and under the cover...worse, the vc gasket was brittle hard and crumbly and would not have been much of a seal for much longer...so it too got replaced by nice soft rubber...a good thing....

Yes I would go ahead with the replacement. Once the cover is off, you can get a better visual to the inside. Others have mentioned a manual cleaning and I would second the motion. 1 pointer for you, be careful not to scorch or scratch the aluminum head when you pull the cover and scrape off the old gasket. Also, these Toyota motors are known for sluding up due to the small oil passages. Using brake clean and a rag will help in removing the old gasket. Hope this helps

Congrats on the job well dome. I just went through the same thing in my corolla too. There was no major leak, but ignition coils has a little oil on them. I also checked valve clearance. Mine is lower miles and cleaner, but I also noticed the cover much dirtier than the rest of the engine.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

One quart every 4000 miles is what I see with certain brands of oil. A few oils the engine just uses 6-8oz every 5-6k.

Bill, what were the high consumption vs low consumption oils if I may ask?

Originally Posted By: Donnie79
Yes I would go ahead with the replacement. Once the cover is off, you can get a better visual to the inside. Others have mentioned a manual cleaning and I would second the motion. 1 pointer for you, be careful not to scorch or scratch the aluminum head when you pull the cover and scrape off the old gasket. Also, these Toyota motors are known for sluding up due to the small oil passages. Using brake clean and a rag will help in removing the old gasket. Hope this helps

Not mine.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: Donnie79

Not mine.

This was in regards to the 4 cylinder engines commonly found in the Corollas. I see that you have a 6 cylinder truck and this was not the case for your application. Sorry for the confusion

Shortly after getting Kitacamry I pulled the PCV valve and saw it was gunked up...
pcvb.jpg

I cleaned and reinstalled it with the intent of replacing it 3k miles later at the next oil change when I would pull the valve cover and see the condition of the top of the engine.
The concern was that the gunk on the PCV valve was a sign of worse in the engine...
3k after the last OC (with Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w-30) and here's what the engine and valve cover's underside looks like @ 100k miles
camtpss.jpg

vlvcvrins.jpg

Lots of colorful varnishing on the engine, and the beginning of what looks like creosote/sludge building up on rough surfaces inside the cover.
The PCV valve was clean, but a bit oily and was replaced along with the PCV hose...
...cleaned up the worst from inside the cover and put it back on with a fresh fill of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 (the 1st synthetic fill for this engine) which will get drained at 5k miles before doing regular 7500 OCIs...
...and as I said...it got a new VC gasket...

That's actually a really pretty shade of orange/copper
grin.gif
I'm set on pulling the VC after a few more OCIs, just to see what condition it's condition is in. We can compare photos then! (unfortunately, I'm not being as scientific as you about the oils I use... "whatever's on sale at AAP this month")

I'm not overly oil OCD...the gold varnish is kinda nice looking but it shouldn't be there...going to PP should clean it up a bit....

I just switched from conventional 5w-30 to same synthetic, keeping to the same brand...2 OCs on sale with filter AAP + Penn rebates = $5/OC if DIY (+ $20-at dealer), so with 2 OCs I'm good for 18 months or so...

After 1500k miles oil useage appears about the same (1 cup's worth/3k miles) but the engine runs smoother.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back