How do I remove Nu Finish Cling from black plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I applied Nu Finish Cling, but forgot to wipe it in some/many places. As a result I have white strikes on the black plastic as well as on the paint. It's been 6 months already, several car washes, automatic and by myself, it won't come off. My car is 1 year old, and looks pretty bad because of this.

Any ideas as to how to remove the Cling? For the paint, I'll try clay-bar, but for the plastics I have no idea how to fix.

When I used it a long time ago I had good luck getting it off black plastic with peanut butter. I never tried it on paint though. I'd imagine a micro fiber cloth would get it off paint. Or try reapplying it to the area of paint in question, then try removing it with a MF cloth after the fresh stuff hazes.

I will give the peanut butter a try, thanks!
MF cloth did help on the paint, it's just it was in too many places and took too much scrubbing - I am worried I'd scratch the paint.

Yes, try the peanut butter idea.

Next time get some Duragloss Aquawax. It's a spray on sealant that doesn't stain, has a nice scent and great shine. For $11 and available on Amazon, duragloss.com, autogeek.net, etc. Spray and wipe. So easy to use after a wash and is very well respected on the detailing forums.

NU Finish Cling is the worst product I've ever used (just considering removal alone). I would not recommend anyone apply this to their vehicle.

On top of that, Nu Finish web site has no contact information. The contact link just forwards you to a FAQ. There is no way to contact them. None.

Hmmm, that is odd. You can contact the Duragloss people quite easily as I've done a few times over the years. Either by phone or email.

Goodgling for Reed-Union Corporation (the company on the bottom of the nu finish page), gives this:
875 N Michigan Ave Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 644-3200

A lot of cleaner waxes/sealants will stain trim, which is precisely why I will never use NuFinish again. Duragloss 501 FTW, followed, the next day, with a wax like Collinite 845.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back