mobil 1 vs. mobil 1 ep (both 5w30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that the mobil 1 has better wear protection numbers than that of the
mobil 1 extended performance. Does anyone have knowledge on this subject.

I suspect they would be the same wear numbers, considering the only difference is "extended performance" additives

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
That was read where?

On internets, of course.
smile.gif

Are you planning to do a 15K OCI?

If yes, use extended performance.

If no, use regular.

Please read dnewtons article on the homepage in relation to wear rates and oil changes. Very enlightening info.
If you aren't planning on extending the interval then the extended performance is money wasted. Using top notch lubes such as these and changing them at 5000 miles is also absurd unless the usage qualifies as severe service.
Op. first off. How many miles do you drive and how many are highway/city. Then decide how often you want to service the vehicle. If still under warranty then follow their guidelines,if not under warranty then look at your duty cycle and decide from there what kind of service schedule will work best in you're particular circumstance.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
That was read where?

On internets, of course.
smile.gif

Serious business....

I've always wondered about the need for Mobil 1 EP. The regular M1 easily handles extended changes. I can see where the enhanced additive package of the EP can be beneficial on longer drains, however. Me, personally, I cannot do 10k mile+ changes. The oil is fine I'm sure but I just don't want the dirt and junk floating around in there that long and I feel that anything past 7,500 miles most oil filters may be in bypass giving you dirty oil anyhow. Oil is cheap...engines are not.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I've always wondered about the need for Mobil 1 EP. The regular M1 easily handles extended changes. I can see where the enhanced additive package of the EP can be beneficial on longer drains, however. Me, personally, I cannot do 10k mile+ changes. The oil is fine I'm sure but I just don't want the dirt and junk floating around in there that long and I feel that anything past 7,500 miles most oil filters may be in bypass giving you dirty oil anyhow. Oil is cheap...engines are not.

In 35 years of doing 10K OCIs this bypass thing you mention has never happened to my engines.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Using top notch lubes such as these and changing them at 5000 miles is also absurd unless the usage qualifies as severe service.

In my Sonata when you read the manual for "severe service" for oil...If you drive in dusty conditions, salty conditions, uphill, downhill, stop and go traffic, and like 5 others. Basically if you start your car according to Hyundai....it's SEVERE SERVICE. It's 7500 normal and I think 3000 under severe.

Last edited:
forums.corvetteforums.com
rate mobil 1 5w30 105,875 psi load carrying capacity/film strenth
rate mobil 1 5w30 ep 83,263 """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

the higher the load carrying capacity, the better wear protection.

Originally Posted By: tig1

In 35 years of doing 10K OCIs this bypass thing you mention has never happened to my engines.

I think we are both wrong. How would we know what the filter is doing? I am assuming the filter will get dirty and bypass as designed. You are saying it never happens. Wonder how we could tell for certain?

Last edited:

I think we are both wrong. How would we know what the filter is doing? I am assuming the filter will get dirty and bypass as designed. You are saying it never happens. Wonder how we could tell for certain?

That is a good question.

This is why one should use a true extended drain oil filter like Mobil, certain Bosch and Fram, etc.

How long do they have a warranty for?? 5years??? How about 60k?? No it is 10 years and 100k they are telling us something IMHO
grin.gif
!!
Originally Posted By: Sequoiasoon
Using top notch lubes such as these and changing them at 5000 miles is also absurd unless the usage qualifies as severe service.

In my Sonata when you read the manual for "severe service" for oil...If you drive in dusty conditions, salty conditions, uphill, downhill, stop and go traffic, and like 5 others. Basically if you start your car according to Hyundai....it's SEVERE SERVICE. It's 7500 normal and I think 3000 under severe.

Devil's Advocate: What if the required load carrying capacity for 100% protection was 10,000 psi?

Originally Posted By: theduck
forums.corvetteforums.com
rate mobil 1 5w30 105,875 psi load carrying capacity/film strenth
rate mobil 1 5w30 ep 83,263 """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

the higher the load carrying capacity, the better wear protection.

I wouldn't necessarily equate length of warranty to level of expertise. They could have simply done a study on length of warranty vs number of units sold vs increase cost of warranty....sometimes it is cheaper to replace the broken stuff than it is to improve reliability. The consumer gets the same end result.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
How long do they have a warranty for?? 5years??? How about 60k?? No it is 10 years and 100k they are telling us something IMHO
grin.gif
!!
Originally Posted By: Sequoiasoon

GM and Lexus114,
Here is how I know that my filters never go into bypass. I never have deposites in my engines, I have never had an engine show signs of wear, even with 200-350K. Also I periodically cut open filters and inspect them for sludge(been doing that for decades)and have never seen sludge deposites in any of my filters, in all types of engines, in all kinds of conditions. With 35 years of using M1 oils I have a long base line of excellant performance with M1 oils, something you oil skippers don't have.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Keep in mind I might be wrong all of that without more than 1 or 2 uoa's with TAN/TBN info etc. No wear with 300k my God now that is something I gotta tell my uncle Rufus with his Gremlin,
cool.gif
in Idaho!!
GM and Lexus114,
Here is how I know that my filters never go into bypass. I never have deposites in my engines, I have never had an engine show signs of wear, even with 200-350K. Also I periodically cut open filters and inspect them for sludge(been doing that for decades)and have never seen sludge deposites in any of my filters, in all types of engines, in all kinds of conditions. With 35 years of using M1 oils I have a long base line of excellant performance with M1 oils, something you oil skippers don't have.
cheers3.gif

GM and Lexus114,
cheers3.gif

Well "tigster" you answered that one!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
GM and Lexus114,
cheers3.gif

Well "tigster" you answered that one!
grin.gif

LOL he sure did! But I must say Tig..that I am not far behind in thaty I've been using Mobil 1 since 1987.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back