Break in. Hard or soft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow the owners manual....and don't listen to arm chair 'experts'. While many vehicles can endure the foolish 'drive it like you stole it' technique from the stone ages, I am of the opinion that you should vary the RPM's and engine loads ( when well warmed up). While this does not mean babying the engine, it certainly does not mean you punch it to redline. But you know what? I think this is one of those things where folks fall into one side of the issue or the other regardless of what they are told. I'll stick with what the engine manufacturer recommends rather than what some well meaning troglodyte advises.

I was at the Toyota Corolla- Celica factory in Japan in the late 1980's and every car would come off final inspection and be driven onto a chassis dyno built into the floor. Then a tech would run each car to redline in every gear and hold it at top speed for 30 seconds. Then downshift all the way to stop. The dyno would stop and he would drive the car out into the parking lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
I was at the Toyota Corolla- Celica factory in Japan in the late 1980's and every car would come off final inspection and be driven onto a chassis dyno built into the floor. Then a tech would run each car to redline in every gear and hold it at top speed for 30 seconds. Then downshift all the way to stop. The dyno would stop and he would drive the car out into the parking lot.

Breakin already done!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

Breakin already done!
laugh.gif

Yeah, then the owners manual said "take it easy" for 500 miles.
21.gif

Get the engine warm, give it some juice. Don't wind the revs all the way up at first, but give it some runs at 3/4 to full throttle to about 3/4 of redline. It pushes the rings against the cylinder walls harder and seats them faster.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

Breakin already done!
laugh.gif

Yeah, then the owners manual said "take it easy" for 500 miles.
21.gif

That initial run would seat the rings, then you can let it run the other parts in more gently.

^^^you see, that's the issue. There are driveline parts that still require some easy miles like the rear end and maybe the trans, but the engine is either right or wrong, there is simply no advantage to being all "easy" on it.

Anyone with real knowledge of how a reciprocating piston engine works will know that LOADING is key to breaking it in.

Straight out of my owners manual, "Full throttle is beneficial to engine break in"!!!

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
The engine IS loaded when running and driving.
A little more or less is nothing to worry about.

Wildly platform specific!

What kind of engine/power density, etc? Lots of variables.

Check the manual, one procedure for every engine will not work for all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back