Wife's 2014 Mazda 6 - official thread/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I posted a few iphone pics on a different thread, but took some more pics with a real camera for a more 'official' bitog 'new car' thread...

The color changes a LOT with angle and light - it's not as dark as some pics show, (that's why I added several pics that might look similar)

Wife wanted something that's not too common but at the same time getting very good MPG, and has a very simply laid out dash without being gimmick - the mazda's exterior and interior looks and the 26/38 MPG met the demands...

We got the Touring model (mid-level trim) with the only option being the tech package -
color is Blue Reflex Mica
Interior is black with black leatherette seats (ignore the blue-ish hue in some interior pics...i took these just before sunset)

Impressions:

Tighter and firmer than almost all mid-size sedans I have driven - partly due to the suspension being on the sporty/agile side, and the 19" wheels (225/45/19 Dunlop tires - they're meh).
But it's still a very comfortable ride, never being 'floaty' or boring - wife enjoys driving it. It is a rather large car, and i feel that the steering (electric) during slow speeds is over-boosted and too light compared to my BMW, but wife loves it.
smile.gif

GREAT seats, very well bolstered and VERY comfortable.

All interior materials feel great - knobs and switches are VERY well done and feel solid. Lovely simple arrangement-driver focused. Top of the dash and the are in front of passenger seat are very soft, feels great. 'richer' feeling than any other mid-size we drove.

DSC/Traction control, the rain sensing wipers and auto dimming driver/rear view mirror functions can be turned OFF (Thankfully)
Same goes for blind sport monitoring, rear cross traffic alert and City Smart Auto braking.

Transmission is very quick to shift, and response is really fast - great auto!

Huge trunk. Gooseneck hinges are nicely hidden in a 'pocket'
Gas cap has a cap holder just like my BMW does, so it doesn't dangle..

We are currently averaging about 35 MPG- probably 65% hwy and the rest city.

Lots of tech/safety gadgets: (lot of them were standard) - love the blind spot monitoring.
Still haven't played with 'dash computer' fully - lot of vehicle/lighting settings are done with that...

- - btw, This car is one of the only 5 cars that passed the latest/revised IIHS crash safety test and earned the Top Safety Pick+ (TSP+) certification. (accord/camry/altima/maxima all failed it)

(See the pic of the window sticker for all the standard features and optional tech package details...)

Bose stereo sounds good (I hate Bose, but for a car stereo it's ok - it even monitors noise levels in the cabin and adjusts volume, in addition to being speed sensitive - whatever!)

Gripes:
Tom Tom nav is so-so- it's ok but not great.
Arm rests are weird - it's like your elbow doesn't 'fall' naturally to them - but we have gotten used to them.
19" wheels/tires - still playing with the idea of going to a smaller size.

Any other details - just ask.

NOW THE PICS
smile.gif

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0038-1.jpg

DSC_0020-1.jpg

DSC_0039-2.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0041-2.jpg

DSC_0040-1.jpg

DSC_0033-1.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. I'm really going to have to see if I can move some things around and squeeze that into the garage if I were to need a new car in the near future.

Question: How is the visibility with those headlights? I'm surprised it doesn't have fogs.

I kind of like that "smiling shark" look. Mazda seems to be the "we try harder" company right now. I understand they get the mpgs up by making the car light--what a concept!

Originally Posted By: VicVinegar
I like it. I'm really going to have to see if I can move some things around and squeeze that into the garage if I were to need a new car in the near future.

Question: How is the visibility with those headlights? I'm surprised it doesn't have fogs.

The Headlights are brilliant - not HID or anything, but wife's commute involves some really dark, winding roads, and she said she's very happy with them. It was one of the 1st things she tested.

I have yet to drive during the night in this car.

Fog lights are standard in the highest trim - (GT)
It's a dealer option for the Touring for $500 installed - Meh; wife says she's fine without them, BUT when the prices come down later and forums have DIY posts everywhere, I will be considering adding them in a few yrs/months...
smile.gif

Does the gear position indicator still show the gear regardless of whether it is in manual mode or did they make it just show "D" in automatic mode?

Thanks for the pics. Awesome looking car!

I view the high Japanese parts content and assembly in Japan as a major plus. My brother chose a Protege over a 6 ten years ago for that reason. He will be considering the 6 when he replaces his Protege with 200k+ miles this summer.

Beautiful car! I really love the Mazda look for some reason, if they came out with a new RX8 I'd be all over it. Something to rival the Subaru WRX, BRZ, SRT Dart (hopefully!), Focus ST etc. etc.

P.S. What's the 0-60 time on the new 6? That 160mph speedo seems a bit optimistic.

Nice car, the 19" tire is a little expensive and not many choices either. When time to replace tire, sell the 19" wheels and get 17" or 18" wheel/tire combo from Tirerack or DTD.

Very nice. Definitely a step up from Accord-Camry. I hate the fact that new Accords come with a CVT transmission. I'll bet that 6 speed Mazda trans is sweet. Superb color choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back