Oils for a Yanmar diesel engine in a yacht

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to launch my sailing yacht. I have a 100 H.P. Yanmar turbo diesel engine with aftercooler in it. Yanmar recommend a 15W40 oil for the engine.
Does anyone have a specific oil to suggest to me? I am thinking of using a Shell Helix Diesel HX5 15W40 because it's easily available here in South Africa.
They also recommend that I use the same engine oil in the gearbox (KM4A. Shouldn't a gearbox take a special gear oil?

My FIL sells millions in Texaco Ursa 40wt and 15w-40 to the big yachts, fishing boats, ferries, etc. I'd run that with confidence.

The favorite lube oil of choice is very locality-driven. It varies from region to region.

Yanmar gearboxes were designed to use engine oil, but check you manual just in case that has changed. Most other yacht boxes use some type of hydraulic fluid.
The 100hp Yanmar did have a reputation for cylinder deposits and ring wear caused by too much low power use, not sure if they have fixed that yet.

Last edited:
I have used what ever brand 15W-40 was on sale. All have worked fine. I change my engine oil after every 100 hours of run time. Engine has over 2000 hours.
I have never changed the gearbox oil. It still looks like it was just poured. I also have never had to add gearbox oil.

Shell 15w40 in both. You can use a straight 30W in the trans as well. But make sure you check for an oil filter. Look for a drain bolt underneath.

Last edited:
Shell 15w40 is super popular in the Islands.

Pretty much any first world sourced 15w40 diesel oil would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back