Switching between 5w30 & 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it alright to switch back and forth between 5w30 and 10w30? I have a 96' Prelude VTEC that calls for 10w30 (5w30 for under 32 degrees). It has 120,000 miles and gets it's oil changed around once a year because I don't drive it that much. I put even fewer miles than the recommended "severe" OCI each year. I'm currently running Peak Synthetic 10w30 and I have two jugs of PU 10w30 ready to go. I also also have over 60 quarts of Synpower 5w30 for another car that's being used up a lot slower than I anticipated. I was thinking about using up the Synpower 5w30 before using the PU 10w30. I also just picked up two jugs of Maxlife Synthetic 5w30 and was wondering if I should have gotten 10w30 instead. These probably seem like silly questions, but I can't help obsessing over it.

You can use them interchangeably and would not likely even notice a difference at all unless it got really cold, then you'd find the 5w30 most likely cranking easier at cold start.

You can absolutely run the 5w30 year around, no worries at all.

You can jump in between the two grades as much as you like.

The best scenario - run 10w30 during warm weather, 5w30 during cold weather.

However you can get by just fine with 10w30 in cold weather. My girl friend's 2.7L Sebring just got done with a 10w30 OCI - the only time we experience engine start trouble was at 10 degrees Fahrenheit right at the end of the oil's life.

Originally Posted By: Doog
You are in Florida....use the 10w30. How many times does it get below 32F??

Maybe once or twice every other year.
grin.gif

I would prefer to just use 5w30 because I have another car that calls for 5w30 and I'd rather just buy one grade. I just don't want to lose anything in performance or protection. I bought the PU 10w30 because the WM's did not have anymore 5w30. I also happen to have purchased four 5 qt. jugs of Synpower 10w30 because the deal was too good to pass up ($19 clearance + $4 off coupons).
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
You can use them interchangeably and would not likely even notice a difference at all unless it got really cold, then you'd find the 5w30 most likely cranking easier at cold start.

You can absolutely run the 5w30 year around, no worries at all.

+1.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
My son has a 96 Corolla and lives in Tampa,Fl. He uses 10W40 HM oil.

What's the manufacturer's recommendation? (Pretty sure it's not 10w40)

Originally Posted By: termigator
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
My son has a 96 Corolla and lives in Tampa,Fl. He uses 10W40 HM oil.

What's the manufacturer's recommendation? (Pretty sure it's not 10w40)

5W30. But that doesn't matter. With almost 200K miles and leaking a qt. about every 1K miles, it helps. BTW, since he has been using 10W40 HM oil the leak has slowed down a little bit.

As stated above use whatever you like/can get a deal on. With the mild temps it will make little difference, especially with synthetic fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back